It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to talk to and teach dolphins sentences - Dolphins share a universal language.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I wish we could ask them questions and get answers back that could help solve problems, like what other mammals in the ocean would like us to know or how we could help them. Although, they would probably ask us to quit polluting the ocean...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22

Originally posted by r3axion

Originally posted by superballs
but none are smarter than humans

if dolphins were as smart as us they wouldnt swim near japan ever theywould reasonbly deduce thats where we die

if whales are so smart why dont they have scouts way out telling them where the whaling vessals are??

they just swim right up to the boats..

No one said dolphins are geniuses, but they're the second smartest creatures on Earth.

What Marino and her colleagues found was that the cerebral cortex and neocortex of bottlenose dolphins were so large that “the anatomical ratios that assess cognitive capacity place it second only to the human brain”. They also found that the brain cortex of dolphins such as the bottlenose had the same convoluted folds that are strongly linked with human intelligence.

Such folds increase the volume of the cortex and the ability of brain cells to interconnect with each other. “Despite evolving along a different neuroanatomical trajectory to humans, cetacean brains have several features that are correlated with complex intelligence,” Marino said.

edit on 31-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)
well I'll ask,who's first??

LOL touche. As hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy put it, dolphin's are the second most intelligent creature on Earth. Just above humans and below mice.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Whales don't eat fish guts. Nor fish, for that matter.

Might want to try ensuring that you know what you are talking about...

Fish-eating killer whales prey on around 30 species of fish, particularly salmon, herring, and tuna. In New Zealand, rays are killer whales' most frequent prey,[76] and they have also been observed hunting sharks (particularly makos, threshers and smooth hammerheads). Squid and sea turtles are also taken.[77]

Source - Wikipedia

edit on 1-2-2012 by jta79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This all shows that ALL life has intelligence. Perhaps not like ours which destroys the Earth we live on to make our lives more comfortable but rather one of simplicity which is all that is needed by the species at any given time.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOilTruth
this is amazing! before long these dolphins will be running for public office, and probably win!

It is amazing, but I'm not the least bit surprised after all the stories I've heard about dolphins over the years.

They may run for office, but they won't win unless they can also lie.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This is great, now maybe they can turn in all of those human perverts trying to court them, I am guessing they are liberals tree huggers... : )

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiratio

I had to ask,ha ha I really thought you would say humans.having intelligence could be defined outside the human experience.Other animals are much more efficient in life,compared to humans who make life so difficult sometimes.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

I don't know about that ,like I said to the other poster,it's all in how intelligence is defined.Not to derail the thread,but dolphins as well as other animals seem to be much more efficient in life,much less complicated.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Dolphins share a universal language
Cool now we know the language preference of the universe we can start sending out messages into space in" dolphin "knowing they will be understood immediately. I look forward to receiving the reply.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by r3axion

I don't know about that ,like I said to the other poster,it's all in how intelligence is defined.Not to derail the thread,but dolphins as well as other animals seem to be much more efficient in life,much less complicated.

That shouldn't be taken literally. The book was poking fun at human intelligence

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I really think your thread is great, and dolphins are amazing, intelligant mammals. I just watched a thing on Animal Planet a few days ago that showed a whole new side to them. It was showing how aggressive they can be and how they will try to implant themselves inside a female, male after male and compete with one another. It was intense, and didn't give me the cuddly warm feeling I always have had towards them. Oh well I still love them and this just proved that all things can bring out an aggressive side when it comes to mating!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
When most of us barely tolerate the moron at the desk across from ours now why exactly would we want to know what a fish has to say? (I know mammal). Do we really care to hear how we are screwing up the ocean; how we need to make sure they get enough plankton to eat? Then we will have special accommodation for their kids at school, they will have exemptions for the driving test at DMV, every sign will be printed in dolphin at the bottom, one will marry your daughter, and before you know it there will be a President fish that spends four years telling us how humans suck. I say eat em while we can.
edit on 1-2-2012 by MissingRonnieR because: space ants

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

My avatar is a picture of a beautiful piece of art (which I could not figure out how to reduce and center, lol) created from a recording of a dolphin song. Of course the patterns were colored, but even without that, the patterns are beautiful.

I found these several years ago. It comes from a picture gallery that was published in the Telegraph, UK.

Here is a link to Whale and dolphin Songs Art to see the whole gallery, it's beautiful, and awe inspiring.

After seeing these, it makes me wonder if the frequencies in the human voice would create such wonderful patterns.

My guess would be, probably not

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Dolphins share a universal language
Cool now we know the language preference of the universe we can start sending out messages into space in" dolphin "knowing they will be understood immediately. I look forward to receiving the reply.

Well, you know, The Dogon tribe in Africa I believe, has a tale that has been handed down, which says that visitors came from space to visit with them, and the visitors were said to have been amphibious, with tails like fish and upper bodies like men, yet not exactly. I forget the exact tale, but maybe dolphins and whales are the amphibious men that the Dogon tribe met, that never returned to their homes in space or left some outliers here to monitor us.

Hopefully the dolphins can still communicate with their fellows after many years of adapting to the increasing pollution humans are dumping into the oceans of the world, so they can let them know that the time has come for them to return and save us from ourselves.

God knows we don't have very much intelligence left to do it with! LOL

It would be pretty cool to be able to communicate with the dolphins and whales, but they probably know enough about us by now that they wouldn't give up ALL their secrets.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Great thread, dolphins are definitely very smart. It's funny that we are just now getting smart enough as humans to be able to understand that their brains work much differently than ours.

Here is a video that helps us to understand more about the intellect of dolphins:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

According to a woman named Frances Fox, dolphins are capable of communicating with humans through telepathy. I don't know how to quantify this "proof", but it is interesting nonetheless.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Their minds have learned to see using means other than vision. This is a truly amazing natural feat, glad I saw this.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Threegirls
Very interesting OP,

I'm not sure why but this reminds me of the film 'Johnny Mnemonic'.

Isn't that the guy, who wakes up every day without remembering what happened yesterday? :-)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Dolphins are evidence that anything that is animated and makes independent decisions is intelligent

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Can you rephrase your question? I don think I understand what your asking...

just to clarify the joke implies that dolphins are smarter cos their intelligence doesn't damage the world, your question ends with a similar statement. Am I missing something?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join