It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to talk to and teach dolphins sentences - Dolphins share a universal language.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I don't get it. Even dogs learn to understand up to 200 words. What's so special about this?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Sea Quest show.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
What next - Sharks with 'frickin laser beams..?

edit on 31-1-2012 by GeordieLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Maybe all the echolocation species have the potential of talking to one another.

Maybe dolphins could talk to bats for example. Maybe in future, submarines, another echolocation species, will be able to send out dolphin scouts and communicate with them, or sneak in close to shore and send out a bat scout for intel about what the local bats are up to.

edit on 31-1-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Amazing, I'd love to see more of this type of research brought to the headlines.

And I hope I'm not the first to say, "Thanks for all the fish"

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I would imagine every creature shares a universal language...it's just not comprehensible outside of their species!

Except for basic body language. We all know that.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
we know dolphins and whales are smart.. But so are all mammals they can all be trained to do crazy things..

my aunt and uncle had a cow that would shake and moo on command like a dog.. but they tast so damm good no one cares..

but none are smarter than humans

if dolphins were as smart as us they wouldnt swim near japan ever theywould reasonbly deduce thats where we die

if whales are so smart why dont they have scouts way out telling them where the whaling vessals are??

they just swim right up to the boats..

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This reminds me of Hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kavaron
I don't get it. Even dogs learn to understand up to 200 words. What's so special about this?

Dolphins have obviously been trained to recognize arbitrary human symbols and arbitrary sounds before. This appears to be new because it's

a) entirely different encoding, something much higher bandwidth/more sophisticated than a sound, and dolphins have a huge cortex devoted to processing this specific kind of signal.
b) dolphins in location A understood sonar-symbols developed with group B. If you train your dog to understand a word (and the dog may be more thinking about context and guessing intent than knowing the word that well) another dog won't recognize it.

This would be more like producing a pheromone which goes right into the dogs preferred way of communication and having it be understood by all dog-dom.
edit on 31-1-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

if dolphins were as smart as us they wouldnt swim near japan ever theywould reasonbly deduce thats where we die

if whales are so smart why dont they have scouts way out telling them where the whaling vessals are??

a) they need to eat too, and other locations are already inhabited

b) they can't tell which vessel is a whaling vessel from underneath, and other fishing ships (much more common than whaling) throw off a whole bunch of whale food.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kavaron

Dogs don't recognize themselves in a mirror, Dolphins do. This is but an early step forward in our journey to understand ourselves, because when we finally learn to fully communicate with Dolphins and other species we will have a better understanding of what it means to be Human.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

No chimps do too. And there is that group of monkeys that use sex all day long as social interaction, and even to settle disputes. Now there's social change I can get behind. LOL. Cant remember the name of the monkey though. Someone else here will. I am sure.
Google is my friend and will be till the end.
It is the Bonobo monkey.
edit on 31-1-2012 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randomthoughts12

For dogs thats a sign of dominance not affection. Sorry. A dog will wag its tail if it likes you not hump you.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thats very cool,then dolphins can be used as translators of the seas, because they ride sometimes on a whales back, that means that dolphins are able to communicate with other whales and sea creatures...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by superballs

No one said dolphins are geniuses, but they're the second smartest creatures on Earth.

What Marino and her colleagues found was that the cerebral cortex and neocortex of bottlenose dolphins were so large that “the anatomical ratios that assess cognitive capacity place it second only to the human brain”. They also found that the brain cortex of dolphins such as the bottlenose had the same convoluted folds that are strongly linked with human intelligence.

Such folds increase the volume of the cortex and the ability of brain cells to interconnect with each other. “Despite evolving along a different neuroanatomical trajectory to humans, cetacean brains have several features that are correlated with complex intelligence,” Marino said.

edit on 31-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

What if the dog wags its tail before after or even during/attempting to hump you. I've seen dogs go gaga for pretty ladies.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion

Originally posted by superballs

No one said dolphins are geniuses, but they're the second smartest creatures on Earth.

What Marino and her colleagues found was that the cerebral cortex and neocortex of bottlenose dolphins were so large that “the anatomical ratios that assess cognitive capacity place it second only to the human brain”. They also found that the brain cortex of dolphins such as the bottlenose had the same convoluted folds that are strongly linked with human intelligence.

Such folds increase the volume of the cortex and the ability of brain cells to interconnect with each other. “Despite evolving along a different neuroanatomical trajectory to humans, cetacean brains have several features that are correlated with complex intelligence,” Marino said.

edit on 31-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)
well I'll ask,who's first??

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
and they can recognize a sardine too.

how smart can they be if they allow the u.s. navy to use them as naval mine detectors. and they do it all for a frozen mackerel.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Q: Aren't humans interesting? The ultimate creatures evolved on earth, capable of questioning their very existence.

A: Everyone knows humans are the third most intelligent animals. First are a race of transdimensional beings which appear in our universe as white rats. And dolphins because:

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.

I lol'ed

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

a) they need to eat too, and other locations are already inhabited

b) they can't tell which vessel is a whaling vessel from underneath, and other fishing ships (much more common than whaling) throw off a whole bunch of whale food.

Whales don't eat fish guts. Nor fish, for that matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join