It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists able to talk to and teach dolphins sentences - Dolphins share a universal language.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
That's why they chose dolphins to make ET

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This is both exciting and deeply disturbing to learn as it becomes better understood. Obviously it's exciting to learn that we may not be the only sentient life on Earth which is capable of complex communication. We have primates of course, but...well.. complex sure is a relative thing, isn't it?

Now the DEEPLY distubing thing is that these might be sentient beings with complex communication and high order intelligence. They don't need opposable thumbs and bipedal movement to be intelligent life. Why is it disturbing?? People have been killing different species of these and doing so in some awfully horrible ways. I'm not sure I want to hear the first translation for a Dolphin rant.

There have also been recent stories..and threads here in fact, about the Dolphins possibly sharing communication at a high level with Whales. If Dolphins turn out to be sentient as it matters in the definition of things, then given that fact, Whales probably are too.
Perhaps someone ought to suggest Tokyo lay off the killing of whales for awhile. It might just be something we're 'hearing' about in the near future...if translation ever leads to understanding of what they may have to say on matters.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOilTruth
this is amazing! before long these dolphins will be running for public office, and probably win!

Sounds quite logical to me... After all we've already tried lots of rats, snakes, leaches and asses in office...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
They might be smart, but they still cant walk or drive. Id love to see a dolphin operate a 60 ton crane on a daily basis, but i know it wont happen.

Hey a few years ago (2004) scientists got rat brains in a petri dish to fly a flight simulator... so I say why not!!

articles.cnn.com...:TECH

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I think my favorite part of these post is all you people saying how we need to all of a sudden stop killing whale and elephants and dolphins cuz they are sentient...

GUESS WHAT!!!

SO ARE WE, if we can't stop killing each the entire time we've existed what makes ya think we going to do it for them

btw dolphin meet is high in Mercury and caused a lot of issues with young peoples brains only reason japan is farming them less...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
reply to post by camaro68ss

What's different is a dog or a cat learn to recognize sounds and associate them with certain rewards or activities. Certainly intelligent, sure. But the dolphins in this case are the ones communicating back, and to each other. Basically, it's like the dolphin "wrote a note", which the scientists gave to another dolphin and it read the note. That's quite a bit different from an animal learning to recognize the phrase "sit" to mean sitting his butt on the floor for a treat.

Ok... My dog (no longer with us) could understand an incredibly wide range of words in different combinations as an example, regarding food..
I could say basic stuff like 'Food' or 'Dinner' or i could make it more complex like "Are you hungry?" or "do you want to eat/drink" and he was able to differentiate between what i was saying...
I could ask him where certain things or people were, and he'd almost always know what i was talking about.

If he tripped over or done something stupid and i laughed at him he would know i was making fun of him and respond accordingly and he would also do the same thing to me.

I could tell him that i'm feeling sad and he would respond accordingly, no matter how i phrased it..

I could ask him an open ended question like "What do you feel like doing?" and he would answer (in his own way" by letting me know what he wanted to do.

I could ask him if he was tired and and if he was he would look at me and yawn or if he wasn't he would bounce on his front legs.. always the same responses.

He could almost always understand what i was saying regardless of what words i used or how i phrased it even to the point that if i said something to him in another language he would cock his head and make that scooby doo noise as if to say that he didn't understand what i was saying...

Dogs (can be) a lot smarter then most give them credit for... the real issue with a dog is concentration, they often just ignore people...

I've had dogs bark at me from behind fences as i walk down the street and i've found that i get them to stop more often by asking them what they are barking at rather then telling them to shut up... there's even one dog that i can quiet (particulary at night when i'm walking past drunk) by putting my finger to my lips and saying 'Shoosh'...

They are pretty clever sometimes.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Im so glad I seen this thread today. Yes dolphins and whales know universal language and we have proof. Our ancient ancestors( aliens) knew this about dolphins and whales and consider them key to the humans survival for some reason. They say if the whales and dolphins die, then we will to because we will lack what ever the dolphin's and whales provide us in some form.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Dolphins talk...but only to say...

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This is pretty neat! Imagine if we can eventually get to a point where we can actually hold conversations with them? I would assume the conversations wouldn't be much but we would still be communicating!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
This is awesome news,
but how reputable is the original source?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

They're talking to me, I've been having the most incrediable dreams and they are so very real. I talk with dolphins and fly .... I would like to make a post but I thought I'd just reply here.
Axis7

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
Are they also not the only other animal to have sex for fun ?

Great story though

Bonobos do this as well

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Anyone else come to the conclusion, maybe animals such as the dolphins may one day become civilized society in say 200,000 years from now? Maybe this is proof that other intelligent species have the promise to evolve and develope in amazing ways such as humans. This could be happening on other planets in other solor systems.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
"... And thanks for all the fish ..." will they say !

I recommend watching The Hitchicker Guide one more time

Out of joke : Fascinating.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Great story though

Bonobos do this as well

Yep, Bonobos are the ultimate lovers. I made a thread on here about how Bonobos are different from the common chimpanzee and that they use sex to solve disputes, and often get in small fights just to have sex. They have male on male, female on female, and normal sex. Here is my thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's great to see some scientific advancement in the field of communicating with animals. Once you understand that animals are not just stupid beings, you can see they are very intelligent. Kanzi the bonobo is an example:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Great story though

Well chimps certainly do....especially Bonobos! They do it at the drop of a hat!

Honestly I think it's hard to really tell just how much fun an animal is having from sex....I'd imagine that even Hermit Crabs find some enjoyment from the process, and are therefore having fun.....I doubt that most animals have the capacity to understand that sex leads to pregnancy.....so in that sense, I'd imagine most animals 'do it' for their own sense of enjoyment and pleasure....or in other words for fun.....Unless I'm missunderstanding your meaning of "sex for fun" here.

I've seen videos of turtles and from what I can tell they are having fun... just very slowly...

Hahaha!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Great story though

They are known to gang rape too, but they're so cute.

Researchers have been studying the sexual behaviour of dolphins intensely for the last decade, after it was discovered they not only partake in homosexual activity (read more HERE), but also gang-rape and kidnap females who don’t reciprocate their sexual advances.

Read more: scienceray.com...

scienceray.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 31-1-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This is probably just like teaching a puppy a new trick. You can teach it to "Sit" by tweaking its instincts to know that when they hear that word they have to sit for something good to happen. Dolphins happen to be more intelligent than dogs, so they can learn sentences. Dolphins having a universal language is also just instincts that come with evolution. No matter where on earth you are, crying=bad laughing=good smile=good etc. Basically dolphins are animals who rely on instincts, not some fairy tale animals that can reason in the same way as a human being

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join