It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Father' and 'Son' Ousted from the Trinity in New Bible Translations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

'Father' and 'Son' Ousted from the Trinity in New Bible Translations

news.yahoo.com

A controversy is brewing over three reputable Christian organizations, which are based in North America, whose efforts have ousted the words "Father" and "Son" from new Bibles. Wycliffe Bible Translators, Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) and Frontiers are under fire for "producing Bibles that remove "Father," "Son" and "Son of God" because these terms are offensive to Muslims."

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
biblicalmissiol ogy.org
edit on 1/30/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Inquisitive one said it best...

news.yahoo.com

ETA : Retract comment
edit on 30-1-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

This has gone far enough. Soon every Bible will have to be re-written so as not to offend Muslims. This is an assault on religious belief and freedom. For everyone whose eyes have been blind or in denial, WAKE UP!!!

Yes their are other Bibles to read which still contain the wording but, to appease a certain group and deny yourselves freedom of worship and religion is disgusting.

news.yahoo.com
edit on 30-1-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

Let's be honest, to let them print their version of the bible is not denying yourself the freedom of worship and religion.. However, You denying them the right to print their own bibles would be doing exactly that.. On top of other things. You're comment about every bible being re-written is hilariously wrong... and also mildly ironic.

In any case, I'm not here to bash you, OP.. Just stating how mainstream Christianity enjoys the ability to print it's own version of religious texts, but would often love to take that same right away from others.

Just my humble opinion..

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
There was me expecting a sexism explanation

Who knew eh

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

This is pretty clearly a publicity stunt.

Or one must question the intelligence of the translators.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

This has gone far enough. Soon every Bible will have to be re-written so as not to offend Muslims. This is an assault on religious belief and freedom. For everyone whose eyes have been blind or in denial, WAKE UP!!!

Yes their are other Bibles to read which still contain the wording but, to appease a certain group and deny yourselves freedom of worship and religion is disgusting.

news.yahoo.com

I find their bitching offensive. Why is it america seems to be one of the few nations where we must treat certain groups speacial so as not to offend them?

in my opinion we should go back to the days where you worked hard to get where you wanted and nobody got speacial treatment.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This isnt new at all!! The whole bible has been changed OVER AND OVER again!!

Adults need to stop getting angry over fictional man-made fairy-tales and get over it already. 2012 and we STILL buy into this nonsense that was written by men, edited by men, inspired by men and peddled by men. Sexism, racism, violence, animal & child sacrifice, wars, and murder. The main character is the biggest MASS MURDERER that ever existed!!

Get over it. It will soon be history anyways as we evolve. You can count on it.

Silly adults.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Ah come one, it's not like the Bible has been edited before

Look, the Bible has been edited since the 300's AD by Constantine the Great, theough the councils he held, specifically the first one at Nicaea.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BulletShogun

You obviously havn't been overseas

Most Western Nations today treat foreigners 'special.' Over here in Australia, foreigners get benefits through pay. I see them walking around in suits, driving 2011/12 model cars that are worth like $60,000. Stop complaining. Yet i still don't hate them.

I do agree though, everyone should worj hard for their money

edit on 30-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by BulletShogun

You obviously havn't been overseas

Most Western Nations today treat foreigners 'special.' Over here in Australia, foreigners get benefits through pay. I see them walking around in suits, driving 2011/12 model cars that are worth like $60,000. Stop complaining. Yet i still don't hate them.

I have been overseas but its been awhile. maybe just because i see it in my nation.

I do not hate any one group of people but the individuals within them. I beleive nobody has the right to speacial treatment due to religion or race.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Wow...

That is just... ridiculous...

Whats next?!
Dropping Jesus from the bible completely so Jews arent offended?!

No offense Jews

This brings up a old saying...

"If you dont stand up for what you believe in..."

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Its not "disgusting", its a cunning attempt to make christianity more appealing to arabic speaking population, most of whom who are muslims.
Did you really think that christians would actually change their own books just to appease a group they think are damned for following a wrong religion, anyway?

Kind of how the christian website www.injil.org targets muslims by using injil the arabic word for "gospel"...and uses PBUH after mentions of Jesus and other prophets... basically pretending to speak "Islamic talk"... only to finally present christianity.

Its also like how some christians put on a jewish disguise / use jewish imagery, language etc.... and call themselves "messianic jews" to lure unsuspecting Jews into accepting trinitarian Christianity being presented as "judaism".

Looks like the christians are doing an excellent good job emulating Pauls 2-faced ways...

To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.
-1 Corinthians 9:21

edit on 30-1-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Sorry, this is just another one of those examples of them trying to turn everyone against the Muslims as per usual. Before anyone starts, no i am not a Muslim or Christian or anything else. I just see this going on through out the world under different guises on a regular basis,lets hate the Muslims because. . . . . . (insert reason here).

I know a few Muslims and many Christians, i treat them all as human beings then there is never a problem. We have radical Christians as well as Muslims.

The issue i have with religion is that it devides human beings,if you follow the whole God concept, i am sure that this is the last thing God would have wanted. Why so mant revisions of the bible? We all know anything official is probably BS or propoganda andyet the bible quoted by a lot is the official"King James version" oh please, that in itself makes it not worth relying on. Lots of good teachings in the bible though as well as the quran and lots of other holy books.

The bible is not the word of God, it was written by human beings, is it really worth all of the death and destruction that religion has caused?

If money is not supposed to matter in the eyes of God, then why the hell is the Roman Catholic church, 1 of the wealthiest entities in the world today? and from my days of church going, i remember we were always asked to donate for this and that or oh the church roof needs repairing, you people can pay for it because it is a church, we cant afford it.

This is my issue with it, it is false and does not follow the doctrine that was set in place for it although it expects us all to follow to the letter or we will burn in hell forever more!, oh please rule by fear, does not work on me. I try to bea decent human being, i dont see how anyone can be punished for that and i guess i will find out when my eyes close for the last time.

And no i dont hate God,i look at God as a system rather than a man in the sky watching over us all, all of the time.
edit on 30-1-2012 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
honestly who REALLY cares about religion anymore...I sure don't. it's entirely irrelevent pitting one concept of imaginary god against another, it's really just one mans word against another. spirituality on the other hand we shouldnt remove but encourage. thats why religion exists, to maintain this divisive atmosphere

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

Do you think that someone owns the right's to these words, and how they can be published?

merriam-websterdictionary.com

At base stands a profound respect for the integrity of history and the complex and convoluted relationship between present and the past. —Ira Berlin, New York Times Book Review, 9 Sept. 2001

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Typical, use any nonsense excuse to change the bible AGAIN.

This is why I recommend a Mechanical translation from the Hebrew. At the very least read it from 4 translations. This is Constantine all over. You know there was almost 600 books originally. funny huh.

As if the Muslims are concerned with our Bible. I call BS. Who exactly said they were offended, they did?
edit on 30-1-2012 by casenately because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Dear Daedal,

Glad you pointed out the changes; but, let me ask something and by the way I am a Christian and known as such on the site. I met a wonderful woman who in her early 20s went to Papua New Guinea, she went into a part of the island where a white person had never been along with another young lady. They went to learn the language of this tribe and create a written language for them where none existed and give them a bible in their own language. A very impressive lady, when I met her she was probably in her 60s.

After a few decades living with the tribe she was able to achieve her goals. While there she faced a problem, in the bible it says that wheat is the staff of life. There are a few references to wheat in the bible; but, these people had no idea what wheat was. They didn't have bread or wheat. What they did have was a goo, tree sap that they would extract and kneed to make it firm, that was their primary food source when they could not get enough fish or animals. She took the word they had for this paste and used it to explain how the bible referenced bread.

The bible is wonderful and was written in languages that everyone does not know. The Catholic church for many years held their services in latin and if you didn't know latin you might have a problem understanding them at all. They did it because they used a latin bible called the Vulgate. When translating one is faced with a problem of translating word for word because different languages are structured differently and different societies have different meanings for words. I am not saying that I agree with their choices; but, I don't Arabic. I guess what I am saying is that we should not jump to conclusions and try and understand why they translated as they did. Peace.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by casenately

As if the Muslims are concerned with our Bible. I call BS. Who exactly said they were offended, they did?

Exactly. As if muslims ever demanded that christians or anybody change whats in their books, or even took "offense" to it in the first place. Secondly the claim that these Christian organizations re-worded certain parts of the bible so muslims dont feel offended is pure horse#.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
IF muslims are reading the Bible, then they should read one that is NOT made for Christians. It is that simple. If we are talking about a Christian Bible, who gives a flying cow what offends muslims? If that is the case, why don't we take out words that offend us in the Quran?

What is the difference? Is there a double standard? Between Israel and the muslims, I am going to go insane. No wonder they cannot get along, BOTH of them are extremely self-centered.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

the thing is they probably didnt say squat. I know the feeling by the way.....Jesus!

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join