It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival in Hurricanes and Other Disasters; Your Survival Ideas�Original & One-of-a-kind!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Living where I do, away from cities and neighbors, I have been through two hurricanes (looking at number three) and one tornado disaster. After being without power and phone for up to two weeks, as well as not being able to leave my property due to the road being blocked by trees and debris. The first time I was trapped, I had no generator, so my lights came from the 12 Volt batteries taken from the truck, lawnmower, etc. I kept them recharged by rotating them into vehicles. In addition to this, I also used candles, oil lamps, for lighting, rainwater for drinking, etc... Still besides the obvious, I know that the people that post on ATS are concerned with surviving in a very uncertain world. I was wondering what original survival techniques that you may have come up with that may save all our lives�

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
If you get a rash from poison ivy and have no access to a drugstore. Mix mud (I've only used red mud, but I guess any mud will do) with vinegar to make a paste and apply to the rash and let dry. Wash with soap and water then apply a new mud/vinegar poultice for a couple of days until the rash dries up.
I heard about this from my grandmother and tried it myself. It works pretty well.
Does that count as an original survival technique? It's all I can think of at the moment. Besides the usual.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Thanks! Iwill try it! When I moved to Alabama from Wisconsin I was used to poison ivy growing on the ground. Here it grows up into trees like Kudsu and the more you are exposed to it the worse the effects become, everytime you get it...so much for natural immunity...

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
There are lots of survival tips all over the web - just do a Google or a Yahoo and have some fun. A lot of it is really useful...

I read on about surviving a nuclear bomb that was very interesting. You can actually build a mini-shelter in your basement and keep out most of the radioactive fallout.

The main thing you should concentrate on is preparation. Everyone differs in what they're comfortable with, but generally having a week's worth of canned food and bottled water is a good idea. (water more important than food)

To people that are really interested in this stuff, I recommend going on a backpacking trip for 4-5 days. Aside from the great benefits of relaxation, you'll learn a lot about getting by for multiple days without the wonders of modern technology. And you'll learn how to plan.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here're a couple of gimmicks I used back in 1999 where a lot of folks thought there was a real chance of a worldwide infrastructure failure.

Water. Spend about $30 for a queen-sized waterbed mattress; it'll hold about 120 gallons of water. Fill it and drain it a couple of times to get rid of the polyvinyl chloride taste, then add a half-cup of sodium hypochlorite 5% (regular household bleach like Clorox) and fill it with tap water and seal it.

Contrary to a lot of concerns, there have been extensive tests and neither the PVC nor the bleach, in the quantities you'd see from drinking this stuff, will be harmful. I'd recommend a 2X12 pine frame for the waterbed. If you're already sleeping on waterbeds, then drain them now, refill and drain a couple of times, and fill them again with the half-cup of bleach, not the commercial antifungal you get at the waterbed store, and you're good to go.

You can remove the PVC smell and taste (if it's noticeable by using an activated charcoal filter. for instructions on how to make one, including construction diagrams, U2U me and I'll send you a set of plans for free. You can remove the bleach smell and taste by merely letting the water sit in the sunlight for a half hour before drinking, and if you pour it back and forth between two containers, yo'll gete rid of the "flat" taste.

Cooking. Two 40-pound bags of good charcoal and a couple of dutch ovens, supplemented by a Volcano dutch oven stand, will be enough fuel to cook for a family of four for four months or more, if you know what you're doing. And a dutch oven will do all your cooking for you. You can bake bread, cales etc in it, and it also acts as a crock-pot. If you want more information on dutch ovens, go to the IDOS (International Dutch Oven Society) website or the Lodge website at secure.lodgemfg.com... Or, U2U me; I used to give dutch oven demos at preparedness seminars and I wrote a couple of articles I'd be glad to send you.

Remember, though, that you'd be interested in "camp dutch ovens": the ones that have the three little legs and the rimmed lids. If you get the other type, you can't use charcoal with them!

Start a fire. It's amazing how difficult it can be to start a fire and keep it going, especially if your're outside and have a bit of a breeze. I make firestarters from stuff lying around the house, and they work like a champ. Here's how: First, collect all the lint from your dryer. Or ,go to a laundromat, and ask the attendant if you can get the lint, if you want to, (althought they'll probably thing you're crazy). Stuff the dryer lint into the pockets of a cardboard (not styrofoam) egg carton, and melt some wax (buy parrafin or just recycle old candles) into the pockets. Voila! twelve waterproof firestarters, good to go.

E_T

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
For lights I would recommend lamps with LEDs, some of those can be kept on 10 days with same batteries.

Also headlamp is handy... after all human has this design flaw, only two hands.
(and if you don't keep lamp in hand it always points to wrong place)

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 05:46 AM
link   
If you have a bad cut and no first aid cobweb work great to stop bleeding.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Take meat any kind from beef to fish to hot dogs Slice as thin as possible and if you can start a small fire do so and put the meat near the fire not to cook it but to dry it out . Of corse everone knows beef jurky.
But did you know if you compleatly cover fresh meat not cooked with backon fat it will keeps for weeks.
No food No gun? want to feed your whole family for a week with a few hours worth of work ?
find a creek or lake or pond or the ocean wich ever is closest to you .
take a good nife or hand axe .and a bucket or bag to carrer the food back in.
Cut 50 or 60 sticks 4 feet or so long an ince round or in that range .
walk out into the water and start pushing the sticks into the bottom about an inch or two appart making a wall looking thing.
Mak it at an angel then after fifteen feet leave a one foot opeing
the make another wall angel it as well so the wall looks like a V with the middle open.
Now go back to the middle and behind the V make a 3 by 3 box with sticks behind the opeing .
Now go into the creek or pond away from your V and start walking towards it making as much comotion as possible the fish get scared and start swimming away from you hit the wall start swimming along the wall find the hole in it swim into the box .
Done right you can get hundreds of fish this way .
I was in survival corses when I was a kid back in the duck and cover days .
know tons of stuff like this and had to use most of it during survival camp.
Ps it works but personly I like windixie better and air is cool .
One good thing though is with in a month youl be in GREAT physical shape .assuming your not dead that is.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Duct Tape...

Whether from terrorists, etc., awesome protection!

All kidding aside, this is just one of those things you shouldn't be without...

1. Tape windows to make more sound in bad storms...
2. Instant band-aid/suture for first aid situations...
3. Can fix holes/gashes in auto hoses temporarily...
4. Can patch holes in just about anything...
5. Can make a temporary sling, tourniquet, etc...
6. Straps of it from one stick to another can make an instant stretcher...
7. Works better than rope (and faster) in building temporary shelter...
8. Can use around doors and windows to make more watertight for keeping out floodwaters...
9. And about a ZILLION other things...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
If you can't fix it
Duct it!

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Many good recommendations here, mine is to buy one of the military survival books and read it.

Once you have read that and assess your situation gather up what you need to implement your plan.

Just don't wait until the need actually arises.

As an example when the Ivan remains passed through west central Georgia as a tropical storm my family and I had no need whatsoever to go to the store for supplies - we already had-em.

top topics

join