It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the bible realy say about Hell, Hades and the Lake of Fire?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This post is more for information than anything but feel free to commit if you like.

The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

The rich man was in Hades. From the looks of it Hades is not a very nice place to go but let’s look a little closer at Hades.

Revelations 20:13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.

Now you see Hades is a place where the greedy unrepentant people go. But they have not yet been judged. So Hades appears to be another lesson for those that did not learn. Since they have not yet been judged I am imaging that they still have a chance to learn what they need to. From the sounds of it the rich man is indeed learning that he made mistakes. It appears that some will die and not go to heaven or hades, and be raised for judgement. From everything I have read I beleive that hell is correctly defined as Grave.

It appears to me some there are three places one can go after death

go to hell, the Grave, maybe in a sleep type state of unconsciousness

Hades

And others seem to go to a place for the saints

Revelation 6:9-11
9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10 They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?” 11 Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the full number of their fellow servants, their brothers and sisters,[e] were killed just as they had been.

Now for the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Revelation 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.

Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 20:10 And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

It reads to me that those who did not lean either in this life or Hades that they will be cast into the lake of fire. But here is something to consider, it only appears that the devil and his angels, the beast, and the false prophet will be tormented forever. It looks like the souls of humans who did not repent will be destroyed, which is why it is called the second death.

Not saying that this is a license to sin, but it does appear to be a righteous judgment.

edit on 29-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I believe we are in Hell right now, trying to learn exactly what we need to learn in order to make our personal existence Heaven.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I don't know...There are some problems I have with Christianity, which deal directly with the concept of hell. IF God sent Jesus to teach us to be compassionate, to praise God, to perpetually forgive, etc, then how can God then not perpetually forgive his creations?

The Bible seems to say, to my knowledge, that God will always forgive those who are repentant, therefore how could anyone be sent to hell for an eternity? This is not forgiveness. The entire concept of judgement is hard for me to grasp because of this.

It makes sense that people should have to answer for their actions, but answering for a lifetime of sins and mistakes, one should be given the choice after death to repent imo. I do not know if this is what the Bible says, but it should.

But even still, the whole concept of condemning your creation, which you love and told that you would always forgive, to an eternity of torment and torture, just seems hypocritical. I have found other hypocritical ideas like this in the Bible, which leads me to question which one of the following is correct...

1. Maybe this is the truth, and God is hypocritical, and doesn't have to follow his own teachings.
2. Maybe the Bible is what is not correct, and has no bearing on the true God and his existence.
3. Maybe the Bible is only partially correct.
4. Maybe everyone goes to Heaven instead of hell.
5. Et cetera, et cetera

So do you see what problem I believe I am faced with? I understand faith, but I cannot blindly accept a contradiction. I would like to believe, I just cannot fully and wholeheartedly do so without finding a solution to these problems I am faced with.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

If you can believe what i am saying it doesn't sound quite as bad as what we have been taught. Don't get me wrong i don't think anyone should take sin lightly, we should all strive for perfection in Christ. But if the non repentant sinner goes to Hades how would he not repent. I mean anyone who can visually see heaven you imagine would believe and repent. The rich man could see clearly the truth, it was no longer something that requires faith.

Even then it appears our judgment will not be eternal but our spirits will be destroyed if both are physical death and our time in Hades doesn't bring us to repentance. This may sound harsh but how could one continue to deny God and heaven when they can clearly see the truth?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I see hell as a cold places no warmth and love form God.....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Jesus descended to Hades after He died to share the gospel with the undamned.

Now people either go to heaven or to hell.

It says it is better to mutilate yourself than to sin and go there where the worm doesn't die. The bible also says that those by his judgement hand will be condemned to the fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
edit on 30-1-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

Now for the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Revelation 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Ezekiel 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.

Matthew 25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Revelation 20:10 And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

It reads to me that those who did not lean either in this life or Hades that they will be cast into the lake of fire. But here is something to consider, it only appears that the devil and his angels, the beast, and the false prophet will be tormented forever. It looks like the souls of humans who did not repent will be destroyed, which is why it is called the second death.

I always think they had something like this and used to throw people into it who disobeyed the law.
If you saw this on earth in those days you are guaranteed to make up a few stories about it and I think this is where the tales about hell on earth and "the fiery pit" originated.

Notice it says they WERE thrown, WAS thrown (past tense) which indicates this is something that had been done already.

I think they knew of a lake of fire like this and might even have used it to threaten or frighten people and even to met out justice...of a form. I think this lake or one like it was incorporated into the visuals and story of the religion.

edit on 30-1-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Have you noticed that "Death and Hades" are also thrown into the lake of fire? - Revelation ch20 v14
This suggests to me that the lake of fire is about complete destruction; they vanish from human experience.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

According to Nicodemus, The Gospel of the Acts of Pilate II. Simeon's sons, Charinus and Leucius witnessed Christ's appearance in hell and were themselves resurrected and gave testimony.

The Report Of Pilate The Governor
Concerning Our Lord Jesus Christ; Which Was Sent To Augustus Caesar, In Rome
A Bottomless Chasm
15. And the chasm in the earth was as if it had no bottom, but it was so that the
very foundations of the earth appeared, with those that shouted in heaven, and
walked in the body among the dead that were raised. 16. And he who raised up
all the dead and bound in Hades said, Say to my disciples, he goes before you
into Galilee, and there you will see him.

The Gospel Of Nicodemus
AKA The Acts Of Pontius Pilate

Miraculous Events During The Crucifixion

1:1 And it was about the sixth hour, and darkness was upon the face of the
whole earth until the ninth hour. 2 And while the sun was eclipsed, behold the vail
of the temple was rent from the top to the bottom; and the rocks also were rent,
and the graves opened, and many bodies of saints, which slept, arose.

Simeon's Sons Are Raised From The Dead
12:16 This same Simeon had two sons of his own, and we were all present at
their death and funeral. 17 Go therefore and see their tombs, for these are open,
and they are risen: and behold, they are in the city of Arimathaea, spending their
time together in offices of devotion.

A Great Light In The Blackness Of Hell
13:3 When we were placed with our fathers in the depth of hell, in the blackness
of darkness, on a sudden there appeared the colour of the sun like gold, and a
substantial purple - coloured light enlightening the place. 4 Presently upon this,
Adam, the father of all mankind, with all the patriarchs and prophets, rejoiced and
said, That light is the author of everlasting light, who hath promised to translate
us to everlasting light. 5 Then Isaiah the prophet cried out, and said, This is the
light of the Father, and the Son of God, according to my prophecy, when I was
alive upon earth. 6 The land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephthalim beyond
Jordan, a people who walked in darkness, saw a great light; and to them who
dwelled in the region of the shadow of death, light is arisen. And now he is come,
and hath enlightened us who sat in death. 7 And while we were all rejoicing in
the light which shone upon us, our father Simeon came among us, and
congratulating all the company, said, Glorify the Lord Jesus Christ the Son of
God.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Have you noticed that "Death and Hades" are also thrown into the lake of fire? - Revelation ch20 v14
This suggests to me that the lake of fire is about complete destruction; they vanish from human experience.

I'm glad your brought that up! So, if death and hades are thrown into the lake of fire, we assume that death and hades are destroyed, and no longer exist. Given that, how can the people who have been previously cast into the same lake of fire be still dead? They got the second death, but if death is now destroyed, must they not have been pulled alive (resurrected) from the lake of fire before death/hades were thrown in? Otherwise, death isn't really dead, it it??

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short
...if death and hades are thrown into the lake of fire... how can the people who have been previously cast into the same lake of fire be still dead?

The text need only mean that nobody experiences death subsequently- it ceases to be an event that happens.
The concept of the "second death" is obviously meant to be something permanent.

new topics

top topics

join