It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rap music powers medical sensor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Okay Grandpa, put on your dancing shoes...

The driving bass rhythm of rap music can be harnessed to power a new type of miniature medical sensor designed to be implanted in the body. Acoustic waves from music, particularly rap, were found to effectively recharge the pressure sensor. Such a device might ultimately help to treat people stricken with aneurisms or incontinence due to paralysis.

How cool is that? MUSIC heals yet again.

I imagine that there's much better music for "driving bass rhythm" than rap, but that's not the point. I don't know about you, but anytime you can be monitored and not have to be in the hospital or doctors office is a plus for me.

"You would only need to do this for a couple of minutes every hour or so to monitor either blood pressure or pressure of urine in the bladder," Ziaie said. "It doesn't take long to do the measurement."

Practical Uses, etc.

The sensor is capable of monitoring pressure in the urinary bladder and in the sack of a blood vessel damaged by an aneurism. Such a technology could be used in a system for treating incontinence in people with paralysis by checking bladder pressure and stimulating the spinal cord to close the sphincter that controls urine flow from the bladder. More immediately, it could be used to diagnose incontinence. The conventional diagnostic method now is to insert a probe with a catheter, which must be in place for several hours while the patient remains at the hospital. "A wireless implantable device could be inserted and left in place, allowing the patient to go home while the pressure is monitored," Ziaie said.

Pretty cool stuff.

Original Source and images: Purdue University
Article Source
edit on 1/29/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well that certaintly is different.
but i would say that drum n bass would be a lot more effective then rap.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm biased, as I'm a DnB head, but what better way than something that's 88bpm? Anything higher might give someone in that condition a heart attack.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Neat, Rap wouldn't be my first choice but I could certainly live with it. Just so long as they don't ever prescribe dubstep. I would rather take my chances than deal with that noise.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Originally posted by Rafe_

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm biased, as I'm a DnB head, but what better way than something that's 88bpm? Anything higher might give someone in that condition a heart attack.

[Hmmmm good point

new topics

top topics

join