It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We’re on the brink, warns Greece ahead of summit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I knw they keep saying this as the threat of Greece defaulting and the disaster it could wreak on European and therefore global financial markets and economies, is probably to secure the bailout funds without having to capitulate to the proposed demands that the country surrender its sovereignty and budget controls to outside leadership. But hey, it makes for some interesting news as the unresolved and unrelenting Eurozone sovereign debt crisis morphs into a war on democracy.

UK Telegraph

Greece faces “the spectre of bankruptcy and all the dire consequences that entails”, the Greek prime minister warned last night.

Lucas Papademos said that unless the country’s international backers agreed to a new bail-out, Greece would be unable to pay off its loans and be forced out of the eurozone. Amid doubts about Greek willingness to cut spending and raise taxes, Germany has suggested that a European commissioner should take effective control of Greek fiscal policy to ensure the country accepts austerity. Evangelos Venizelos, the Greek finance minister, rejected that plan, saying it would undermine Greece’s “national identity and dignity”.

Philipp Rösler, the German economy minister, insisted that some external control over Greek policies had to be considered. “If the Greeks fail to do this themselves, the leadership and monitoring must come in a stronger way from outside, for example via the EU,” he said.

Iain Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary, suggested that the German plan was a threat to European democracy.

“If you fiddle around with democracy because you don’t like quite what it does, then you open the door to those who say, 'Why democracy at all?’ ” he said.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

I don't see how this Austerity measure is going to work can anyone else? The way I see it and have heard and read is that the Greek government is the highest employer for the country. So when the government cuts government jobs this will force more into the unemployment line. There are no new businesses being made due to taxes forcing them offshore. So if the government is going to be handing out money wether or not they have employees or not and no one can afford the taxes how will they pay the debt off. Only one answer for that hey they wont why is it so hard to see they are just kicking that can down the road again.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The IMF and the ECB are basically blackmailing Greece by saying that if they don't make the payments and screw over their population in the process, then other countries have the right to go in and take over the government.

There is no way this can end well. Greece should tell the banks to piss off...but they won't, they'd rather destroy their country in the process, and have their national treasures sold to the highest foreign bidder. The Greek people have every right to dismantle their government and run the traitors out on a rail.

This is economic terrorism at its worst and most destructive. The IMF is the crooked loan shark of the world, and should be treated the way a shark is.....avoided like the plague.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Kinda makes me think of our situation with China. I mean what if they said to us what the germans are saying to Greece? If this country's leadership allows this to go unchecked, or at least spoken upon, then who would speak for us?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

I have an idea to fix things for Greece. Australia hates refugees. They come from places like Afghanistan and other crap countries like that. Mostly muslim. They gather in Indonesia and pay 'people smugglers to bring them across to Australia on leaky boats. Australia is maybe more racist than the US. We hate refugees more than the US hate Mexican illegals. Never any lookers.

But if the refugees were from Greece we would welcome them with open arms. We love hot Greek chicks here. We also could take in some hot Spanish chicks and Portugese.

I propose that Europe send all of their hot chicks to Australia as soon as possible. We have plenty of room here. Low unemployment,a gold star credit rating,resources boom.

Just no fat chicks or muslims please.
edit on 29-1-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem
Kinda makes me think of our situation with China. I mean what if they said to us what the germans are saying to Greece? If this country's leadership allows this to go unchecked, or at least spoken upon, then who would speak for us?

We would just bomb China back into the stone age. Or we would just print the money and pay them.

Greece situation is totally different because they do not control their own currency.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
And this is exactly why I'll be voting 'NO' to this EU treaty if we get to have a referendum!!

And I'll be voting 'NO' when they hold it AGAIN!!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

I agree. The real solution is for countries to default and for everyone to tell the IMF mafia to [SNIP] off.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Greece should tell the banks to piss off.

I wonder how Iceland is doing? I believe it told the banks to buzz off. If they are doing alright, then maybe Greece should follow in their footsteps.

edit to add: then again, Iceland was solvent before the screw up by their national bank; something that Greece is not.
edit on 29-1-2012 by PhoenixDown because: added a second thought.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

Top job of making everyone look like a red neck. get a grip australia is multicultural
society, and I'm sure 2012 will bring European "ecconomic" refugees by the plane
load. they won't be shown on ACA becasue it's not sensationalist enough. but
the trouble is the ecconomical shock wave of this will break on our shores as well.
A few leaky boats will be far less than those comming by plane.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wondera

Top job of making everyone look like a red neck. get a grip australia is multicultural
society, and I'm sure 2012 will bring European "ecconomic" refugees by the plane
load. they won't be shown on ACA becasue it's not sensationalist enough. but
the trouble is the ecconomical shock wave of this will break on our shores as well.
A few leaky boats will be far less than those comming by plane.

Just don't let the truth get in the way of a great story! We all know most illegal immigrants arrive at our shores on planes but who cares about that. We're being invaded by leaky boats packed like sardine cans with towel heads! Now these Greek, Spanish and may I add Italian beauties, coming to us direct from Europe, on planes, refugee status, hey we could probably afford to buy an entire European family on a week's wage if the Euro crisis don't get solved.

Who says Europe has nothing to export? We'll buy your bloody women!!

edit on 29-1-2012 by surrealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by wondera

Do you watch the news at all? Australia is a racist place. Full of rednecks.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I am getting sick of this Australia is not racist we are sick of people coming to our shores who don't work and have bulk kids and not contribute to society is just wrong. I welcome anyone who comes to this country as long as they asimilate to our country and adapt our way of life that is what they came here for and to leave their old life behind not bring it here like some have.

Our country was made from different cultures coming here and is what makes it so great we don't need groups coming here and keeping to themselves and creating their own little world like they have done in France and the UK.

If that makes me a racist well I guess I am then and not apologising for wanting what I think is best for my country.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
And?

Get out of the euro and tell the banks to suck it.

Pull an Iceland.

I doubt the Greek people want the alternative... aka being slaves to the bankers.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Watch closely, as this will set a presedent on how the other countries will fold.....like a serial killers first kill....sloppy and disorganized...he gets better with every other kill and more efficeint. Countries must not cave to the banks....this would mean game over for us all. Even if it means the country goes to hell....at least it will be Greeces choice of hell and not somebody elses....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Greece situation is totally different because they do not control their own currency.

Neither do you if you are a American. The federal reserve is not a American owned bank. You Americans are just employed by the bank. And the money "dollar" the FEDs prints is not yours. The dollar currency is a privately owned currency owned by the owner(s) of Federal Reserve.

Even the US have to barrow the dollar. The US is not allowed to print its own money.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BooKrackers

Totally agree with you man.Greece HAVE TO become first german colony, so other countries can be submitted in same way as Greece is now.Portugal will follow and than the outer EU zone countries : Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary etc.

If this experiment will fold, than Greece will have HELL, and will be an EXCELENT point to IMPOSE to other countries : " SEE WHAT HAPPENED WITH GREECE? DON'T DO LIKE THEM ! "

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Anyone wonder why the UK has not been downgraded...........mmmmmm something smells in the state of Denmark

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
The IMF and the ECB are basically blackmailing Greece by saying that if they don't make the payments and screw over their population in the process, then other countries have the right to go in and take over the government.

There is no way this can end well. Greece should tell the banks to piss off...but they won't, they'd rather destroy their country in the process, and have their national treasures sold to the highest foreign bidder. The Greek people have every right to dismantle their government and run the traitors out on a rail.

This is economic terrorism at its worst and most destructive. The IMF is the crooked loan shark of the world, and should be treated the way a shark is.....avoided like the plague.

FS

Don't think it is just the Government you or the Greek people can blame...............

They also need to look at themselves and the fact that the Greek society has been on the ''take'' for a long time, ever since the olympics and before.....

How can they EXPECT retirement in their 50's when everyone else has to wait till their 60's usually....

Always easy to blame everyone EXCEPT yourself sometimes !!

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by HighMaintenance
And this is exactly why I'll be voting 'NO' to this EU treaty if we get to have a referendum!!

And I'll be voting 'NO' when they hold it AGAIN!!

Ha ha ha

If you were ever to get to choose again !!!!

Ireland has made the most EFFORT in helping itself BUT it is still miles away from beingback to a normal country....still years of pain there and you guys are ahead of most of Europe by years ...!!!!

The Europolitician / eurocrats still refuse to accept their own stupidity because when they do they will lose control of the people / polpulation....

I intend to move to Ireland in the next couple of months........... to set a business up hopefully..........

Doing my bit to help....

Regards

PDUK

top topics

<<   2 >>

join