It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Views On 'Smacking' children.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Smack away, I say

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I think one short sharp smack in some circumstances (like when they clobber another child) is fine - it's the shock factor as much as anything else. But maybe we do need a 'don't go there' for people like my mother who don't know where to draw the line. 50 years on I still remember the time when I was playing in a field and fell over a partly submerged oil container. I cut my leg badly but wandered round for ages because I was afraid to go home with marks on my new clothes. And that's because she would seriously lay into me for any perceived transgression.

edit on 30-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Children do need discipline. And you are right, it is good for them to get a spank or a slap on the hand or even the belt. Fear is a good tool to put into children at a young age to respect their parents or higher authority. Because a child under the age of even 13 or so, Id say has no real understanding when he is put in his room for disobedience. But when he/she gets the spoon, belt or a bar of soap in the mouth for talking back, it works on younger children for their betterment.

There is a line that parents and elders have to consider, and that is when the punishment is hurting them, like I mean breaking the skin, bones, or permanent bruising. I was spanked many MANY times when I was out of line, and that purple and bruised bum of mine always managed to heal up just fine.

And for the UK and their stupid law in my opinion, it is right the riots could be caused by lack of discipline. Mostly lack of self control which could be many more factors. But I totally agree with disciplining your child, not someone elses unless they give you permission to do so, for the growth of the childs respect for rules, authority and their self control.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Seektruthalways1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

... I hope that's a joke... If you are serious, then that is the most inane and ludicrous thing I have EVER heard... You are actually paying your kids to misbehave... Again, if you are serious, then YOU need the smack....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

And for the UK and their stupid law in my opinion, it is right the riots could be caused by lack of discipline.

But let's just not boil that down to 'Mwahh we can't smack our kids which is why they turned out like they did'. It's much more complex. I used to work nights and we were amazed at the young kids on the streets even around midnight. We need a bit more parental responsibility and care and clear boundaries. It will take a generation to undo the damage done by lax parenting. Society needs to change as well. We bred these little yobs. Time for a rethink.
edit on 30-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is all you need to know:

Pretty much sums it up.

On a more serious note, at one time in my life I hated my parents for the "abuse" I had to endure, both verbal and physical. It wasnt until I finally became an adult that I realized it was not abuse at all, but their way of making sure I didnt keep making the same mistakes.

Now, I thank god I have parents that cared about me enough to put me in my place when I got out of line. They gave me the discipline and drive to work hard, stay out of trouble, and make solid choices. I attribute my current success to them. I dont want to know where I would be right now, if my parents where instead like so many of these "new age" parents who "dont hit their children," and instead use positive reinforcement or whatever.

Sounds great in theory, but I see their kids acting like little disrespectful, uncontrollable, brats and it makes me sick. Sometimes, I think even adults need a good ass kicking. Its very humbling, and makes you put things into perspective
edit on 30-1-2012 by WhiteDevil013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 001ggg100

It was clearly a joke, yes.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'm not even going to read the thread to post this. This is just how I feel about it.

Smacking children should be done strictly in discipline. If you feel any negative emotion, don't touch your child.

Discipline them out of love, not anger. Follow that, and you should be fine.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

i have two kids, they are both very different. my oldest listens very well and if we ask him to do something or tell him not to do something that is usually the end of it. my youngest is the complete opposite , everything is a struggle with her. so every now and then if she needs a smack on the ass to get her mind right i have no problem with that. i would never and have never smacked my children across the face , i believe that is just wrong.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Every parent has the right to smack their child in certain places(bottom etc)to put the child in their place

Children these days lack discipline which is why they go around acting like they are god and causing so many problems in society.

Children need to be disciplined,therefore,they need to be smacked.If you do not wish to smack children then please don't have any.......i would hate to think what they would turn out like.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yeah smack the hell out of them if they need it, if not then don't. My parents used to smack the hell out of me, and I never took a gun to school with plots on killing people, I never disrespected them, I never came to school dressed as a woman, never smoked crack meth and/or the like, so smacking your kids helps more than hurts.

MBF

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You are soo right!! The problem with kids today is they have NO discipline at all. Here, if you spank a child with good reason and the wrong person sees it, they will put you in jail. Later in life, they wonder why they have to keep YOUR child in jail!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I wonder how many of the replies are coming from people that do not have children?

What works for one, won't work for all.

edit on 30-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Every parent has the right to smack their child in certain places(bottom etc)to put the child in their place

Children these days lack discipline which is why they go around acting like they are god and causing so many problems in society.

Children need to be disciplined,therefore,they need to be smacked.If you do not wish to smack children then please don't have any.......i would hate to think what they would turn out like.

Unfortunately, we also have a lot of parents going around acting like they are God and the kid is there to change the channels.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

My mom spanked and used a spoon when I crossed her. It wasn't often but I had a mouth and pushed boundaries at times. I see nothing wrong with spanking, as long as it's not over done to abuse.

Kids today aren't disciplined, they are spoiled and catered to. They need to be knocked down a few pegs if you ask me. They need to learn respect.

exactly, im only 23 and i agree. i was always gettin in to trouble when i was younger and a spanking never did me any harm. i remember the worst spanking i got, there was an old bridge by my house that they were blocking off and filling with cement. i walked over it on the way home from school, not realising that the cement was still wet and fell in it upto my chin! my mum opened the front door to find a big grey crying mess hahaha got my backside tanned for that, especially because all the clothes and shoes i was wearing were brand new!

iv had plenty of spankings and it never did me any harm

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace
Yeah, even putting your finger in a kids face should be illegal. Really yelling too loud should be illegal, you could scare them. Any form of punishment, should actually be outlawed. If kids don't know any better why should they be in trouble by another human that also makes mistakes. For example my oldest son punched my youngest son in the face, so I said, hey if you don't punch him anymore I'll give you money. He said, "Ok Dad." He stopped punching him all the way until the next day. Now, every time he punches him I just give em money and he stops.

Oh my God, I hope you're joking...

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF

You are soo right!! The problem with kids today is they have NO discipline at all. Here, if you spank a child with good reason and the wrong person sees it, they will put you in jail. Later in life, they wonder why they have to keep YOUR child in jail!!!

There's an easy answer to that! Parents have forgotten how to take proper care of their kids; instead, they yell all the time, hit them all the time, and then they go to school and either one of two things happen: the police ignore it, or the kid ends up in foster care getting abused by other foster kids and possibly the foster parents as well. Parents abuse children more than they realize, all because of their pent-up childhood frustrations churning in the back of their minds, awakened by their kid.

See, you people think violence is the solution to everything. Why teach through violence? Why show your child that hitting people to teach a lesson is a good thing? What happens when your 16 year old is buff and taller than you, and you go to smack him for saying something and he whacks you right in the jaw? He doesn't know it's wrong because that's all you taught him for most of his life!

Talk to children instead of hitting them. Later on, they're gonna remember how you dealt with problems, and they'll end up in jail for getting into a fight. Yeah, that's exactly what we want to teach our children. No one told me the Cro Magnons were in town...

Fists work for now. Words work forever.
edit on CMondayam353557f57America/Chicago30 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I agree with you. If you're not smart enough to figure out how to discipline a child and teach them that actions have consequences without smacking them around, you have no business being a parent. There are SO many better ways. But that's just my view, and I am VERY against legislating this kind of thing. To me, there's a clear difference between a slap on the hands and a beating (which I received with regularity). Parents should have some leeway to decide what's best for their child, but shouldn't be allowed to abuse them.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I think, that if you can get your kid be behave adn act respectful, then no spanking is neccissary. But if not, then a wooden spoon can go a a long way. I have two boys. They usually are well behaved. But every once in a while, the wooden spoon must be used. You can only tell a 4 year old that what they did was bad so many times before they become deaf to what your saying. I only spank my children when necissary.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by remyrange
I think, that if you can get your kid be behave adn act respectful, then no spanking is neccissary. But if not, then a wooden spoon can go a a long way. I have two boys. They usually are well behaved. But every once in a while, the wooden spoon must be used. You can only tell a 4 year old that what they did was bad so many times before they become deaf to what your saying. I only spank my children when necissary.

Why on earth would you use a wooden spoon?? You may as well smack them in the face with a metal spatula!

Use your hand. It makes it more personal, so you can feel exactly what you're doing. It should keep you from going overboard.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join