It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Views On 'Smacking' children.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

They used to also take you out to the town sqaure and hang you.....I suppose we could try that! I bet if we did for whatever crime, they wouldnt do it again!

Straying a little off-topic, but I could dig it. If we got rid of all the frivolous crimes that account for more than half the people in jail. AND, if we did away with some of the lawyering, and made the justice system where facts and evidence were the most important thing instead of who has the better lawyer. AND, if we let the juries make the decisions instead of tying their hands with mandatory sentencing and limited things they can consider and legal hulahoops that attorneys use to corner both judges and juries. IF we could fix the justice system in those ways, and someone was still found guilty of a heinous crime, then I don't think a little publicity in their punishment would be a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Thank you for having the courage to post that. Certain people just have no idea of how far reaching consequences these "things" can have. I am sincerely happy reading that you found some comfort after all that. I'm in the process of helping others pass some of their hurdles, so I know you're strong to have been able to find some comfort.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
When I was a boy and I would do something bad my dad would flick me in the back of the head with his finger. One time i asked him why he was doing that, and he said it was to remind me not to be stupid. He said that I knew how to behave because he had taught me and the flick was a reminder to not be stupid. Oddly I accepted that and tried to not get flicked again. It didn't hurt at all. But i understood that dad wanted me to be the best that I could be. I hope that he is proud, he was a good man.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by addygrace
Yeah, even putting your finger in a kids face should be illegal. Really yelling too loud should be illegal, you could scare them. Any form of punishment, should actually be outlawed. If kids don't know any better why should they be in trouble by another human that also makes mistakes. For example my oldest son punched my youngest son in the face, so I said, hey if you don't punch him anymore I'll give you money. He said, "Ok Dad." He stopped punching him all the way until the next day. Now, every time he punches him I just give em money and he stops.

Are you joking?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

People get so emotional over this issue, and they jump onto the bandwagon far too quickly, and it is bad for the society as a whole. Of course I don't support beating children.
But, some people will say any type of strike is a beating.

I agree. Beating a child is wrong,Spanking....not so much.Again,the PC police would have a law for ANYTHING,if they get their chance. There are those that believe watching TV is a form of "mental abuse". Ever see cartoons lately ? Ever see the ones in the Past? Do they inflict emotional responses? Should a parent be policed for that type of Psychological "abuse" also? Abuse is Abuse,right????Just throwing it out there.....

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

But these 'things' are too different issues. Abuse is mental and physical torture that usually has no purpose or cause. This is complelely unacceptable and should be treated as such.

Where as spanking is a tool of disciplinary action meant for the own childs development. spanking should only be used as a last resort and it should always be explained to the child as to why they have received the punishment.

ALS

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
When you hit a kid you shouldn't even have to hurt him. I only had boys for experience, fyi. If they respect you, all you gotta do is sternly let them know you disapprove and they'll want to do better. Even if your disapproval might be a quick spank.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

So you smacking your Child and smacking a stranger is the same?

No, because your child is dependent on you and a stranger is not(making it infinite times more possible for a stranger to do something about it).

You have a bond with your child(I hope), not with a stranger. They are both humans though! And do laws state that just because you have a bond with someone you can beat them however you want? No, they do not. They do in some backward religious/scum cultures.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think it may also be a cultural thing. Not sure what you wanna call it, but it seems like the western/white societies are overly protective about that kind of stuff. As long as you don't abuse the child, a little smack helps every now and then, especially when you have one of those smart alecky kids that don't respect adults and boss other kids around. If you are blessed to have a child who is capable or listening to everything you tell them without remembering everything and having his full respect to yo as a parent, then I don't think any sort of smacking is necessary...but I know too many kids like that.
This youtube clip isn't entirely about if we should smack kids to discipline them or not, but a little insight about cultural differences with this issue mixed in with some humor from Russel Peters (with a few curse words for better empashis on how some of these kids talk to their parents)

I am not suggesting that beating your child is a good thing, but is sometimes necessary and a normal part of raising a child in some parts of the world.
I don't quite see how you can compare this to police brutality as some might suggest...beating people to a bloody pulp to make an example out of to supress a group of uneasy civilians is different from smacking your child in the butt so that he knows that you are serious when you tell him "the elevator is not a toilet!"

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Why in the world would someone hit a tiny human being not even half their size for acting up? People say, "Oh, I was spanked as a kid and I turned out fine." The only problem is that you aren't fine if you continue the abuse. If going up to an adult and hitting them with an open hand or a closed fist is considered assault or battery, then why is not that way with children? It's irrational and illogical. You have this small child that you would die for and you hit it when it does wrong.

FFS you can't hit a dog by law!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
As a child, if I was naughty I would get a smack on the bum or, in extreme cases, the wooden spoon to the bum. It worked a treat on me, I never did the bad thing I was being smacked for again.

As far as I am concerned, if my kids are naughty I try words first, then failing that they get a smack on the bum. I don't mean hard, just enough to sting a bit - definitely not hard enough to leave bruises or marks or anything.

This bloody nonsense going around these days of "don't smack your kids" is complete bollocks. I have no lasting scars, physically or mentally, from being smacked and in my later years I realise that it only ever did me good.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
As a child, if I was naughty I would get a smack on the bum or, in extreme cases, the wooden spoon to the bum. It worked a treat on me, I never did the bad thing I was being smacked for again.

As far as I am concerned, if my kids are naughty I try words first, then failing that they get a smack on the bum. I don't mean hard, just enough to sting a bit - definitely not hard enough to leave bruises or marks or anything.

This bloody nonsense going around these days of "don't smack your kids" is complete bollocks. I have no lasting scars, physically or mentally, from being smacked and in my later years I realise that it only ever did me good.

So, then using your logic it is okay to hit your spouse? Since there will not be any lasting scars, mentally or physically, then it should be all right to do so. I mean they are also a human being with feelings and emotions, the only difference being they are not in the formative years of their life like children. But, if they get out of line then they have it coming, right?
edit on 1/30/2012 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Smacking kids for being naughty is completely different to hitting your spouse mate. Nice try.

Yes, there are a few parents that take it way too far and actually harm their kids. But it will be a cold day in hell before I give in to the 'politically correct' crowd and be lumped into the same arena as people who actually commit violence. There is a MASSIVE difference between those who smack their kids for being naughty and those who actually harm their kids and family. I detest anyone who tries to make me seem like those despicable people.
How dare you.

How the hell do you think parents have been disciplining their kids for thousands of years hmm?
edit on 30/1/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I could not agree more.

I was smacked when I was younger for being naughty or for doing something, I knew, I was not supposed to do. And it never done me any wrong or any harm. I knew after being smacked never to do the same thing twice.

But I agree how ever there are a minority of parents whom take smacking too far.

Although yes there needs to be balances and checks on abuse, In recent cases in the UK such as the teenager who was beaten to death, since his Auntie and uncle thought he was a witch, and the Baby Peter case, there has to be stringent checks to make sure that sort of abuse does not happen again. Which sadly has been the case.

Smacking should not be a crime.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Not for nothin, my pops used to kick my ass, wanna see the foot print? That is whats missing IMO....the youth of today have no respect for their elders, mainly because parents want to be the childs friend and not their parent.

Beating your child and spanking are 2 entirly different things.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I think violence breads violence.

You can punish and discipline your children without hitting them.

I sort of see it as an "easy way out" for parents.

I won't argue against anyone that "spank" their kids, i mean they are the parents, not me.

I just know, that when i am raising my kid(s) i will never resort to hitting them to prove a point. You may think you're teaching them discipline, and you may be, but you may also be teaching them that violence is the answer to teaching someone a lesson.

Try to picture the "perfect" parent in your head, would this parent hit their kids to teach them "discipline"?

I don't think so.

Well that's my opinion at least, i'm sure many here are all for smacking their kids around every now n then.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Ummm, no bueno. Kids can;t help the things they say or do...And if you think they are 'misbehaving' (what does that mean anyway), then you probably need to check yourself, not them! Some people are just downright nasty to their children as well...No BUENO

Cherish your kids, dont beat them, because if you lose them tommorow you would be full of nothing but regrets...

BTW I am speaking in general terms, not to you specifically OP!

---1Love

edit on 30-1-2012 by twinsoulz23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I find that no matter how tight you get the ligerture, their little veins just do not stand out far enough.......wait, sorry wrong topic.........

In all seriousness, i was very anti smacking. And then i had children and learned the stark truth that sometimes it is the only option left to instill some discipline. It is just such an awkward question these days thanks to the way society has progressed. I am actually prepared to bet far more parents smack their kids than admit to doing it! And a smack should be that - A smack, not a beating, to be used as a last resort and when a warning has been given (and as someone else pointed out, once the warning for any discipline has been given it has to be immediately followed up).

Just my thoughts.....

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz

Try to picture the "perfect" parent in your head, would this parent hit their kids to teach them "discipline"?

That's not hard. All I have to do is close my eyes, think of my own parents and the way that they disciplined me (ie: spanking/smacking), and realise that their way was effective, didn't leave any mental or physical scars and in line with how discipline has been handed out to kids for several thousand years.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
We're splitting hairs here, just because you don't hit yer child doesn't mean they wont suffer from some psychological abuse from the parent. Your just as well if you did hit them at that point as that pain lasts for a few minutes...the words last a life time.

So the real question is, which one is worse?

Im not talking about beating children, just spanking as opposed to verbal beratement. Either one is horrible if done without principal.

Personally I think all children should stop having this over sensitive mush crap thrown at em and make em all john wayne....we'd live in a world with less BS that way.

PC just breeds more burden.......

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join