It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Bites Back! 'Britain braced for first cold snap of year as (awesome pics!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It's nice weather for ducks, as the saying goes. However, these birds must have been quackers to brave the icy waters of Derwentwater, near Keswick, in the Lake District. These ducks were captured skirting across the water against a mountainous landscape, in the beautiful Cumbrian region - made all the more stunning by the arrival of arctic winter conditions. As the Government warned residents to brace themselves for the cold snap to come, parts of the UK countryside have been glazed in a stunning blanket of snow, frost and mist - creating a breathtaking spectacle in the process. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

winter has finally arrived?

i think so.

Here in the Netherlands the weather forecast for next week is winterly!

finally, well the same in the UK.

the following warning has been given in the UK

The Department of Health issued a 'Level 2' cold-weather alert running for the next two to three days, which is triggered when low temperatures give rise to significant health risks. It warned that low temperatures can especially be dangerous for the young and the elderly or those with chronic disease. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

so watch yourself ATS!

despite all this the cold made for some beautiful scenery, low and behold:

source

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yes winter has finally arrived. A shame no snow is forecast for the majority of us though.

Apparently, the latter half of February will be interesting.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Apparently, the latter half of February will be interesting.

i'll be watching closely

it's such a shame i have no need coming out of the house for the next month as i got my college degree and don't have to go anywhere
: up:

ATS to kn0wh0w: congratulations on getting your college degree!
kn0wh0w to ATS: thank you very much all of you kinds folks!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I went through that whole article, what is a "level 2"?

I couldn't find any reference to temperature.

The Badgall and Laneast Action Group (Blag), have raised £2,650 to buy the plough and mechanical salt spreader.
Two farmers in the area have been designated to operate them during heavy snowfall.

We don't use salt over here, on any agricultural land. It harms the soil, and it harms animals feet if too much gets used through the season.

They use it in the cities, and it's really hard on your vehicles.

Stay warm folks.

Many drivers nip outside and de-ice their windscreens, and leave their engines running to warm up the car while they pop back indoors for one last cup of coffee.
One thief sneaks from their getaway car, dives into the motor with the engine running and they both tear off before the owner can run outside to stop them.

This problem is solved with an extra set of keys. Lock your cars when they're running.

Over here, when it gets really cold, around -25 or below, people shopping often leave their cars running while they're in the store for 1/2 hour or so, unless there's a plug in for the block heater.

Other provinces have "no idling" laws, but they can't enforce such a thing in the northern area, or when the temperature drops too far.
edit on 29-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I went through that whole article, what is a "level 2"?

it's ruffly (spelling??) the same as the scale for lets say: terror threats.

the higher the number, the bigger the dangers/risks.

ETA:

Triggered by the Met Office as soon as the risk is 60% or above for any of the three thresholds to be breached. This is an important stage for social and healthcare services who will be working to ensure readiness and swift action to reduce harm from a potential period of cold weather.

Advice: Prolonged periods of cold weather can be dangerous, especially for the very young, very old or those with chronic diseases.

good site with lots of info
edit on 29-1-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Great pictures..thank you so much..We just got snow and a bit of ice a week or two ago...WE are suppose to have it during winter as well..Its nice to see it....Thank you again for the pics

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

I'd be lost over there.
I looked at that new page, and basically the levels from 1 through 4, seem to be cold, colder, a lot colder, and really really cold

I go by
0 degrees is semi slushy sometimes, but still cold
-10 the roads are just right to drive on ( hard packed snow, not really too slippery),
-20 your nose hair freezes,
-30 hurts the face bones ( don't be exposed more than 10 min) ,
-40 your vehicle really doesn't want to move, 1/2 hour to warm it up - try to stay home, or bundle up thoroughly.

Over 0 is almost warm if it's winter.

We already had a woman die from the cold

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=extreme_cold_a_factor_in_wom_240112?ref=ccbox_weather_category1

January 24, 2012 — Police in Moose Jaw, Sask. say exposure to the cold was a factor in the death of a 29-year-old woman whose body was found Saturday morning.

Maybe a warning system could be useful, to go with the temperatures posted.
edit on 29-1-2012 by snowspirit because: screwy link

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You would have nothing to worry about in the UK, It's quite warm compared to Canada.

Unless you're in the rural areas where it's considerably colder. But we really can't compare honestly.

That's all thanks to the gulf stream I suppose.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Baby its cold outside is the chant in Alaska ..check these pics out ..peace www.adn.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

There was winter camping in one of those pics.
Brrr

A lot of frostiness too, is there a lot of icy fog there? Here, when it's -40 ( when celcius is the same as farenheit) it's a very dry cold.

Nice pics.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump ...

Just kidding. Makes me nervous just looking at that pic

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Really ?? I think winter still has to hit where I live and I live smack in the middle of England. Its true its a bit chilly and I just walked my dog for 30 mins and after that i was sweating. Nope winter hasnt reached here ...Yet but atm its not that bad at all

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
We have snow ploughs about 20 minutes away from us here, apparently there's snow falling around Oakhampton way. Ready here, have the 4x4 Ambulance on Standby too.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
USA here and stuck in sunny So. Cal. Your pics (thankyou Very much) make me miss the Pac Northwest Bigtime

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

now that's brisk baby!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Damn that looks cold, excellent images apart from the Deer Antlers

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump Jump ...

Just kidding. Makes me nervous just looking at that pic

Was thinking the same thing.

Makes me feel dizzy just looking at it. Now I love taking a good pic but that's just being silly!

new topics

top topics

join