It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Marriage Conspiracy - You can be happy without it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just take a moment and think about all of the television shows and movies you have watched throughout the years, and see how many of them have a central theme of marriage. That's right, almost ALL of them do. We have been force fed a concept of who we are and what we should do for many many years now. As though you should not have alternative views on relationships...I mean, why can't a man and a woman (or same sexes) be in a relationship, be happy, and live together forever without being "married"? Nothing changes except a piece of paper, and most people will do it for tax reasons!

Because, we have been taught that no, this is the way your life is "supposed" to be. You are supposed to give your significant other a ring, and have a wedding. Hello every single Disney movie ever made, this is the theme...but why? Why do you have to do that? Because movies and television and society tells you that is what you are supposed to do and are expected to do?

How many young men are taught that they, at some point, absolutely must propose to their girlfriend, and give them a shiny piece of metal with a rock attached to it, otherwise their relationship is going nowhere...even if they are perfectly happy and content?

Little girls are taught by society that unless they grow up, meet prince charming, get married, and have children, that their life is incomplete and that they will be miserable until this happens to them sadly. They all grow up thinking that they are all "princesses", but they're not.

You can be sure of one thing, marriage IS big business. But at what cost? Emotional trauma? How many people wind up getting divorced after thinking that if only they were married that everything would be ok, just like in the movies and on television and that they will live happily ever after? Only to find out that being "married" to someone is not a guaranteed happy pill?

As to the conspiracy part, well I do believe that there are those in Hollywood that are indeed in bed with the diamond and wedding industries that blatantly have been promoting and pushing the marriage agenda for some time now. And if we try to connect the dots of those that have investments in these industries, the people/corporations that profit from these industries that there definitely IS a connection, or multiple connections that serve to enrich the pocketbooks of these people. Therefore they stick to the "diamond ring, marriage=love" theme.

But I digress, the point is...nobody should ever feel pressured or even brainwashed into the idea that marriage is the "right thing to do" or that if you're not married then you are not ever going to be happy. Ladies and gentlemen, you definitely do NOT have to have a shiny rock on your finger, and be married to be happy. No matter what the television or movies try to hammer into our heads, you do not need this bizarre "institution" to be able to show the world that you indeed love your significant other.

edit on 29-1-2012 by AutOmatIc because: happy pill

edit on 29-1-2012 by AutOmatIc because: diamond rings

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I've been with the same guy since I was in my mid-teens. My frank thoughts are that I don't need a piece of paper to confirm to me that I love him or justify our relationship in some way.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Too late for me...

This year will be 29 years of, well, wedded bliss I guess.

Heavy sigh... Where were you with this information 30 years ago.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Personally i like the idea of marriage , IMHO> and being with one person for the rest of your lives . I love the wedding vows , and the idea of two people becoming one . Working together , loving together , raising familys together.

What i don't like is

people who get married without understanding the responsibilities of it , mostly getting married for business reasons , or for a good family name to avoid gossip .

I don't like people who rush marriages only to have a divorce a year later and make marriage look bad.

85 percent of the people who get married today , should not . They don't know what they are getting them selfs into.

If people married believing in the power of wedding vows , and believe in putting in the effort to make a marriage work , then marriage would not be so bad as it is today.

Only reason people have a problem with marriage is because morons gets married to early , fail and make marriage look bad. They don't understand wedding vows are more then cute poetry ...

Secondly marriage is Mostly womens fault.

yes you women , who don't know how to pick a man , keep being attracted to jerks with superficial confidence.

Your the one who say YES to marriage .( pre arranged marriages , sex slave brides seperate)

Your the one who pick men , thinking he is the one , only to be fooled later on and realize you got a lemon.

You women need some training on how to find a better man , instead of going off the first thing that makes your heart skip a beat

You women are the ones who make marriage look bad , because of the clown partner you have chosen.

Men when it comes to women will almost all the time mess it up , its no secret. Thats why you should have better understanding on who your saying I DO too.

I very much dislike people getting married rushing it , all for silly reasons besides the main reason to get married.

When a man gets married he has to live by principals , vows , promises !
But most men don't have these merits even before marriage , and rush in like idiots .

and of course the women welcome them with open arms, because they are emotional creatures , going by what they feel now , not what they might end up feeling.

The conspiracy part is people know idiots RUSH marriage without thinking twice . Mostly women vs men.

Easily make a quick buck off these morons , even after divorce they make money.

Why not ? only thing it hurts is the beauty of marriage and two people in love .
edit on 29-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I've been with the same guy since I was in my mid-teens. My frank thoughts are that I don't need a piece of paper to confirm to me that I love him or justify our relationship in some way.

thats what i told my wife

yet it didint stop her from naging me about it, until i signed those papers...who the hell says this paper now makes our love "official" just because it has a notary seal on it?

pffft

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
Too late for me...

This year will be 29 years of, well, wedded bliss I guess.

Heavy sigh... Where were you with this information 30 years ago.

lol well I think there's nothing at all wrong with being with and loving the same person for life if that is what makes you happy

Would you have been able to do so without the institution and label of marriage?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

thats what i told my wife

yet it didint stop her from naging me about it, until i signed those papers...who the hell says this paper now makes our love "official" just because it has a notary seal on it?

pffft

Ah, that is the great question, and if you think about it, it is not your fault nor hers that society has for thousands of years pushed and sometimes forced this institution upon us. Her nagging could indeed be subconsciously manifesting itself because of a lifetime of television and movies telling her that without that piece of paper, and ring, and typical ceremony that she would never be happy. This is sad, because you can be perfectly happy and have the same level of commitment and love without such things.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

You think marriage is tough...try finding a woman who wants an open relationship. I think all married couples should swing.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightWingAvenger

You think marriage is tough...try finding a woman who wants an open relationship. I think all married couples should swing.

for some reason i dont think that would be such a hard thing to find these days... you'd be surprised how many women are open to this, it usually starts out as "ok, im doing this for you because it makes you happy" then they end up liking it more than the guy

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

At this point I wish to invoke my 5th amendment right against self incrimination...

Happy...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I was happily single until I was 39 years old. When I met my husband, he was the perfect fit for me, but I never nagged him about wanting to be married. He was the one who wanted marriage. He's just a little old-fashioned I guess. We now have a daughter, and I think that us being married is a good thing for her.

We have been married 12 years and still going strong, so no problems with marriage here.

What kills me is when people spend thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) of dollars on outrageous weddings. What a waste of good money that could go to so many other more important things. We had a small private wedding with only family. And I do not have a huge rock on my finger - just a wedding band, thank you very much.

So, not all women rush into marriage, and not all women have to have that huge rock.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightWingAvenger

You're right, lol, do you suppose that the reason for such close-mindedness is due to the fact that movies and television have been subtly "teaching" us how we should act, and what is "right" by preying on our emotions, and promoting a theme of one person only marriage=love?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika

At this point I wish to invoke my 5th amendment right against self incrimination...

Happy...

lol plausible deniability and all that, may you continue to love and be loved mate!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I like women too much to marry them.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Marriage is a beautiful thing, and an important cornerstone of society. The family is the building block upon which everything else rests.

It's the piece of paper that screws everything up. Who says you need a "license" to get married? Needing a license for something implies that without the license it is illegal. But in the old days, there was never a marriage "license". That is a contract with a THIRD PARTY, the State, which has no business in your marriage. That's the problem. In the old days you would get married in the church or whatever, and write it down in the family Bible. That's it. But now, you've been fooled into thinking you need to make a contract with the State to "make it legal".

This causes the "fruit of the contract", your children, to belong to the State.

That's right. Think about that for a moment.

That's why the State can come TAKE YOUR CHILDREN AWAY if they want to. How do you like that?

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
In many marriages one party stands to benefit, when the marriage dissolves that is. At one point the girlfriend wakes up and thinks, yeah, if things go sour Id like half of the house, the retierment, the assets etc. . It doesnt take a white wedding movie for that, although I guess, headlines like X got such in divorce help.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Auto, but the system is pretty much dead already.

"In many of the largest cities, the vast majority of individuals age 25-34 are not married, such as San Francisco (82%), and Atlanta, New York and Minneapolis, with shares greater than 75%."

online.wsj.com...

Romance - 'the right one' or 'soul mate' was all a scam to begin with, the 'supernatural' doesn't exist.

edit on 1-2-2012 by phatkhat because: none

edit on 1-2-2012 by phatkhat because: none

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Great post and I agree 100%! I have been legally married for 20 years and lately, I wish I hadn't done it. I even entertained the thought of getting a divorce just because of my distaste for the idea that I am legally married by the state. The fact that it's a government institution turns me off and I wish I had never bought into it.

But 20 years ago, I was the product of a culture that told me it was IMPORTANT to legally enter into a contract of marriage with this person... Somewhere in my mind, a "marriage" would make it less likely that we'd break up. And I've got to admit, there are a couple times when I think it may have helped keep us together. We don't have problems now, but there were a few years there that it was questionable... Did our "marriage" or our love keep us together? Who knows? But one thing I know now is that the legal paper means nothing. The strength of our relationship is far superior to a piece of paper or a legal contract.

I feel stupid and insecure for ever buying into it.

I believe in marriage. Not by the state, but I believe in a life-long committed relationship. That's what's important, not the legal end...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

i agree totally
i think marriage is the begining of the end
just something to throw in each others face
(i want a divorce)

star+flag

edit on 1/2/2012 by maryhinge because: star+flag

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
remember its a leap year