It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why the occupy movement MUST BE STOPPED!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have calmed down sufficiently to briefly state my considered opinion.

OWS, as a movement, is cowardly and dishonest. They are spoiled, as evidenced by their belief that they are above everyone else. They are unethical as displayed in their philosophy that any amount of evil can be justified by some nebulous, never clearly stated cause.

Perhaps I should have avoided posting anything at all, but I am a man and have a conscience.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

They would have been better burning one of these flags.. A little closer to the truth.. The world is not going to come crashing down because someone has burnt a flag. Cmon bud get a grip

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Freedom of speech is the right for others to say things which might displease you. What good is if it means people can only repeat what you say, and feel the way you feel and no more?

Movements like OWS have the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to exist and express and picket and redress grievances and parade and assemble. This is the specific intent of the first amendment. Agree with OWS or not, Americans have the right to assemble. Period. Not only is this guaranteed in the Constitution, but also in the Constitutions of the States and Commonwealths. It's the law.

If you don't like OWS or whatever movement then that is your prerogative; Don't lend it your support.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Dear METACOMET,

Thank you for your polite and reasoned response. There are only two areas in it which I have any disagreement with.

I have no objection to the legality of the exercise of constitutionally protected public speech or protest. I hope you didn't get that from what I wrote. I don't believe I called for their destruction.

Secondly, although I have seen it argued many times on ATS, there is no constitutionally protected right to unlimited free speech, protest, assembly, etc. Limits have been placed on each of these rights which have been upheld by the Supreme Court.

Despite what you may believe, Americans do not have the right to assemble, speak, and protest at any place, time, manner, or in any number. I'm sure you can come up with examples of that yourself.

Can I protest inside your house?
Can I assemble 500 people in a bar with an occupancy limit of 80?
Can I play loud speeches through megaphones in a hospital quiet zone? How about in a residential zone at 2 a.m. for six hours? How about inside a church during a service?

There are dozens of such examples. Can we agree so far?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
OWS has a good background idea, but they're going about it totally wrong. Marching through the streets destroying property is not an effective way to oust the unfairly rich folks. Burning flags, breaking doors, signs, windows, and throwing things at police will accomplish nothing. There's a reason they say silence holds the most power, or in this case subtle tactics. The people of this country hold a massive amount of power in their hands, and that power is called MONEY. Billionaires only exist because in one way or another they've acquired our money. Whether it be through merchandise, taxes, the government, we've played right into their hands.

Money flow is the head of the beast and once you cut it off, you severely impact their strength. Of course this is only possible through mass participation.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This movement is going to
hatch out in spring, and we are going
to be ready for them.
OCCUPY OCCUPY!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
This movement is going to
hatch out in spring, and we are going
to be ready for them.
OCCUPY OCCUPY!!!

I will be working....

And enjoying what nature has to offer....

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
your mad cause they are burning a flag? Its America they allowed to burn a flag in protest. Your mad cause they are throwing rocks? How stupid, what about all the times that police have raided peace full protest with rubber bullets, tear gas and pepper spray? Maybe the flags and the rock throwing would not be happening if the police wear not their? Its a protest not a riot.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

nvm,off topic
edit on 29-1-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I think it's interesting how an Occupy flier is held up so conspicuously, right next to the burning flag.

My guess is that this is astroturf; posing as Occupiers, and specifically designed to enrage people who don't think. I really wish Americans could learn to be more rational about their flag; I understand that said irrationality is something that you are purposely brainwashed with at school, but still.

The cold, atheistic reality is that a flag is nothing more than a piece of fabric, painted in a few different colours, and most likely made in China. All of the subjective importance that any of you assign to it in your own heads, is exactly that; subjective.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The occupy movement are the few people to actually stand up against our fascist government and the corporate masters of our country and world. There would be many, many more if the population wasnt systematically poisoned through our food and drink, heavily medicated and preoccupied with useless consumer products. And lets not forget the daily propaganda spewed by the msm, who discredit, divide and demonize any movement which goes against the corrupt system.

These people are extremely frustrated which will always breed violence, just look at whats been happening in the middle east and around the world. We live in a system which rules us with violence and economic slavery, yet we are supposed to be peaceful and civil. Its not going to happen and they know this. Thats why they are preparing troops in this country and passing legislation to combat domestic terrorism, which is basically anyone who disagrees with the way america does business.

I understand why these people are pissed and think they are brave for voicing their opinion in public. But protesting will never work because the people in charge dont care about us. Violence wont work because they will criminalize us and put us away. The only real way to protest is with your money. Dont support the huge multinational corporations who rule us. Buy only products you absolutely need locally. Stop paying your taxes. Become more self sufficient. These are the ways we start to change things peacefully. Americans are too comfortable with consumer crap and are entirely too dependent on the system, feeding the beast. If it continues, were going to have huge problems.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
When are these clowns going to occupy the White House?

I mean geez, even the one percenters have a budget, while Obama doesn't even believe in one.
That entitlement mentality is growing rampant.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I have calmed down sufficiently to briefly state my considered opinion.

OWS, as a movement, is cowardly and dishonest. They are spoiled, as evidenced by their belief that they are above everyone else. They are unethical as displayed in their philosophy that any amount of evil can be justified by some nebulous, never clearly stated cause.

Perhaps I should have avoided posting anything at all, but I am a man and have a conscience.

Looks like the ones that are unethical and think they are above everyone else are the criminals in our government and those that buy them.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Um. . . how is the YMCA part of the 1%?

This is a poor reflection on their movement.

The one percent that actually wants to stay physically fit?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
your mad cause they are burning a flag? Its America they allowed to burn a flag in protest. Your mad cause they are throwing rocks? How stupid, what about all the times that police have raided peace full protest with rubber bullets, tear gas and pepper spray? Maybe the flags and the rock throwing would not be happening if the police wear not their? Its a protest not a riot.

How can someone call this a peaceful
protest? These people would of
started murdering passer-byes
if no police were on the scene.
Rubber bullet? Wait until they try to
destroy my property there going to
get more then a little rubber plastic
piece bullet.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Um. . . how is the YMCA part of the 1%?

The one percent that actually wants to stay physically fit?

I doubt the 1% are at the Y working out.
These hoodlums get there rocks off
on this stuff, destroying property
breaking into buildings, pushing old
ladies down the stairs.

Look at these scumbags.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Explanation: Awwww is Occupy threatening your Federal Nanny State?

Did your pretty flag get a booboo?

DIDDUMS!

Personal Disclosure: Babies don't get fair they get TOLD!

Stop whinging and go clean up your bedroom ... lights out at 8pm remember!

Thats when the POTUS will come tuck you in and tell you a bad time story a bed time story.

But if you don't be good ... then NO SOUP FOR YOU!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: Awwww is Occupy threatening your Federal Nanny State?

Did your pretty flag get a booboo?

DIDDUMS!

Personal Disclosure: Babies don't get fair they get TOLD!

Stop whinging and go clean up your bedroom ... lights out at 8pm remember!

Thats when the POTUS will come tuck you in and tell you a bad time story a bed time story.

But if you don't be good ... then NO SOUP FOR YOU!

I am not worried about the loosers who
burnt a flag. What gets me is the goons
who BROKE INTO A YMCA and trashed the place!
Nice attack by the way.
Anyone supporting these people
are guilty by association.
BLOOD is on the hands of occupiers.
edit on 29-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

How can someone call this a peaceful
protest? These people would of
started murdering passer-byes
if no police were on the scene.

Thats a grand accusation.

Heres a question... Have you ever been to an occupy protest? Have you ever watched them live? Or do you just read the headlines and watch the youtube clips deemed appropriate for us?

Im not completely onboard with these protests, but even if couple of these people were out of line, does that justify demonizing the whole group and treating regular people like terrorists?
Ive watched a few protests, and Ive personally talked to some some of the OWS protesters.
I know for a FACT that the media is playing this story the way they want us to hear it.

And I understand why your offended, I really do.

If you want to get your point across, you would be much more effective by discussing it rationally, and not letting your anger get control. Im sure that your point of view had a lot of validity, but after reading this thread, all people are going to take away from it is your knee jerk reaction.

BTW Im Not judging, just observing.

Use your reason, not your emotion, its far more effective.

edit on 29/1/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Explanation: Good luck building your pansy assed micky mouse loser country into an economic powerhouse now! (by OmegaLogos posted on 21-3-2011 @ 10:30 PM) [ATS]

Personal Disclosure: MORE Blood is on the hands of the Federal Nanny State!

The entire US polical system is systemically infected with corrupt and criminal politicians and yet I don't see you calling for them to be stopped 1st!

Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

And so in a war collateral damage happens! Get over it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join