It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Massive Snowy Owl Migration and Our Own Future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
source

I have a snowy owl in my neighborhood. He/She is graceful, and has been seen flying in daylight. I haven't thought much about it until I read this article today.

There have been sightings of these majestic birds since 2007, but not until recently within the past few months have farmers, city dwellers and alike been seeing these birds in large numbers. In fact too large. The article implies that due to change in arctic environment, the natural food sources (lemmings) are becoming hard to find.

Thousands of the snow-white birds, which stand 2 feet tall with 5-foot wingspans, have been spotted from coast to coast, feeding in farmlands in Idaho, roosting on rooftops in Montana, gliding over golf courses in Missouri and soaring over shorelines in Massachusetts.

I understand that weather changes and seasons are having a greater effect but what I really think also that what is happening is that the magnetic poles are having an influence.

Last week there was the article on the rare ribbon seal link here which to me, confirms that there is a great deal of information we have yet to understand.

Is this due to climate change, pollution, magnetic alignments within the earth or something else unseen?

All I know is that it cannot be good for the snowy owl species. Is this just another nail in the coffin for biodiversity?

Here in NC, like I said, we have a snowy owl. Last week we had 26 degree lows, and this week butterflies are flying around?? NOT GOOD PEOPLE! If the seasons are getting messed up what does that say for the animals that rely on certain species to be around for their offspring?

What about humans? My apple trees re bloomed in the fall without any apples. What if the entire national agriculture goes whack...then what folks?

We will be going the way of the snowy owl? We cannot so easily mass migrate can we?

edit on 29-1-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Wow, and her I thought we in SE MIchigan had a monopoly on this awesome bird.
I haven't seen it, but many have reported sighting and people have been warned to not approach too closely to scare it off, to use the proper lenses to take pictures from a distance.

grossepointewoods.wbu.com...

Looks like it’s a Snowy Owl invasion year! Snowy Owls have been reported across the state of Michigan and will most likely stay throughout the winter. This gives us an opportunity to observe them. Why are they here? Not enough food to support them in their usual habitat so they move to locate a reliable food source.

Snowy Owls are the largest North American owl, and one of the largest owls in the world. Males are smaller and usually have less dark markings than the females. They are 20” – 28” in length, have a wing span of 54” – 66” and weigh 3.25lb. – 6.5lb.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I'm always interested to know where the Snowys and other raptors are hanging out.

The article is a bit alarmist. As an avid naturalist and bird watcher I know of several cases where there is a flood of thousands of owls into an area for whatever reason (usually do to a temporary explosion in food population) and then things are back to normal the next year. I've seen it with Northern Saw-whet owls and with Great Gray owls in my area too. I've also seen it the other way around where there is hardly a bird around for one season.

Also, it is normal to see Snowy owls active in the day, especially in the late afternoon which is when I spot them most often around here.

They are a very majestic bird. I Highly recommend looking at the range map for the Snowy to see if it is present in your area and go for a drive. They are typically found on power poles and on stubble fields along secondary roads. Take your camera and binoculars to get a good look at these amazing animals.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

I have an owl that lives in the woods in my front yard. Yes is in the afternoon when I see it. It flies low about 20 feet from the ground, searching for food I imagine. Its been around for a few years. Its the most beautiful bird I have ever seen. All I can do is grab my binoculars and watch it fly until I can no longer see it...It is a magical moment.

The article may seem alarmist but I guess the writers think that the number of birds is what is cause for concern. I am interested to investigate further because of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
There is a ton of lore about owls, a few bits here:

Owl Pages
"In many other cultures, owls represent wisdom and knowledge....According to one Christian tradition, owls represent the wisdom of Christ....Some Native American cultures link owls with supernatural knowledge and divination..."

Celtic & Native Americans especially believe in the power of owls - many listed Here and Here (scroll down to Myths and Culture)

People in Europe and America have long considered the snowy owl as "God of the Mountain"; a symbol of wisdom and trust and a bringer of happiness. In Greek mythology the snowy owl was known as the governor of knowledge and the arts, and in Aesop's fables it is described as having powers of prophecy.

As the name suggests, the snowy owl is covered in snow-white feathers. This large species of owl is mainly found in Arctic tundra areas. The snowy owl can rotate its head up to 270°, giving it an extremely wide range of vision. White feathers cover its body all the way to its toes, and its short beak is buried beneath feathers on its face. Unlike most other owls, the snowy owl is active during daylight hours. Summer in the Arctic circle features nights of "midnight sun" , and the snowy owl, living in open areas such as tundras, grasslands, wetlands, or rocky areas, must hunt for prey from an elevated point with maximum vision of the area. For this reason, snowy owls are often very active during the day, even though hunting is commonly done in the mornings or evening. Their prey consists mostly of small rodents, but they occasionally feed on other birds too.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Yup, the world has gone a bit wonky - my "winter" has seen 4" of snow and most days are in the 50s (usually 3' of snow for 3 months at 12 degrees F!). I don't believe this is a forever change, but I do think the earth is trying to tell us something.

When I see animals, I take note, and listen to them. I believe in the ancient traditions, especially Native American, and that there is a spiritual message in the appearance of snowy owls...what that message is may not be the same for all. If you meditate, perhaps tune into your owl and see if you learn anything from him/her?

I posted some owl links above. Skip past all the witch stuff - the myths and cultural symbols are interesting!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I have 3 owl stories:
In 2006 while driving over an overpass before sunrise, a barn owl smacked into the side of my mini van, killing it instantly.

Being that my husband is part Cherokee Indian, I brought it home.....We called the local reservation and asked if they wanted it, but they did not. So my husband and I had a little ceremony and buried in the exact direction of East on the border of my backyard property into the forest. Now I like to think of the owl as a sacrifice it made and now a type of guardian.

A year later, I heard a type of yelping on the side of my house early one morning... It was a small puppy, covered with lesions and maggots. The pup sounded as if it was in pain. Just as I bent down to pick it up, an owl swooped down and tried to get it before I did. To its failure it flew away. But let me tell you my heart was pumping!!!!

I took the puppy to the vet and she was cleaned and given some medicine. She was a beagle of some kind at the time I had two large German Shepherds and was not wanting to have another dog. That day my husband had an inclination to ask a co-worker if he was interested in a pup and to his surprise, they had been looking to get a new beagle pup.........needless to say after a few years and seeing picture updates, this pup was meant to be theirs!

I love synchronicity!

Last year while visiting my dad in Lake Tahoe. I had a snow owl swoop down over my windshield and perch atop the street light next me in the parked car while inn a parking lot. It was odd because my father was very ill and near death and I was in the middle of a crying session over his health prognosis. However, after that incident I felt as if everything would be alright, and a year later my father is still alive....

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
We have them here in Western New York to. There used to be one years ago that lived on the roof of the Musem of Science in Buffalo. Students at one of the local colleges made the owl a hutch to roost in and it was there much of the time.

The food source for them being Lemmings, will determine the population of the birds as they have a natural cycle of population expansion and contraction. As the lemming population expands due to an expansion of their food source, the owl population will expand to take advantage of that expansion, and of coarse that also works the other way. A population contraction will result in fewer owls.

I think that the warmer winter we are having is accelerating the population expansion by providing more food for the lemmings. I think that it could just be the natural cycle working it's magic.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Interesting post!

Here in the southern New Mexico, Rio Grande valley, the cranes fly through here every year on their migration south for the winter, really an amazing sight.

I mention this because over the last 15 or so years, the cranes come though later and later each year and in smaller numbers.

Sad because I loved to watch huge flocks of cranes fly over my house in their formations.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I hope you are right about the natural cycle. My fear is that it is not cyclic and could be a symptom of a much larger problem that we are just now beginning to observe.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hi Starwise...

seems we have one here also...

news.wsu.edu...

they are saying it is a long way from home...

They used to be a lot of them here back in the early 1900's

but people were killing them off for the feathers..

how sad..

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
They are probably getting ready to eat carrion. It seems like we are living in the movie trailer version of Revelation in the bible. The sounds in the sky are similar, but are not really trumpets. The massive, unprecedented bird migration may be a 'pecursor version' of the following:

The Beast and His Armies Defeated
17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the birds that fly in the midst of heaven, “Come and gather together for the supper of the great God, 18 that you may eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, both small and great.”

Revelation 19:17-18 NKJV

maybe something is going to go down soon? And I hope that you are ready if it is. Good luck with that; I'll be praying.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

While I wouldn't deny that there could be something else going on, I really think that it's just the natural cycle expressing itself.

By the way have you ever heard about the lemmings swarming at times and running of of cliffs into the sea? A couple of years ago I saw a show either on PBS or maybe it was the show Nature. They showed scientists who were studying Lemmings to try to figure out why they would swarm and throw themselves into the sea. The conclusion reached always puzzled me. The scientists said that the lemmings would swarm because their numbers had grown large because of an abundance of food being avalible. They would then gather and try to migrate to a land mass that was no longer there because their food supply was no longer big enough to support the now larger population. Now this theory makes sense as animals all over the world migrate to areas where there is more food. The part that I never understood was exactly what landmass was there off the coast of Canada to migrate to?

The only thing I could think of was perhaps during the last ice age they would move out onto the icepack because the glaciers came that far south. I just can't imagine what they would eat there.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS0011

Owls are not carrion eaters.
They are hunters and prey mostly on small mammals.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

It looks like you are correct, generally speaking. We are living in exceptional times. I did a search with the two words: owl carrion. There seems to have been some consumption going on, albiet rare, in the past.
No, it's not a funny topic. You may want to prepare for whatever, just in case. That way, you'll be safe. link

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Not that Snopes is the be all end all to finding the truth about rumors, but I did read years ago that the whole lemming suicide thing - especially the Disney documentary "White Wilderness", was fiction. Apparently the film crew induced the lemmings to jump off of a cliff for the scene in the movie.
Disney killing animals just to get their shot. Here's the Snopes link:
www.snopes.com...

As for the animal migration behaviors, I thought there was an ATS thread a while back that suggested that all of the cell phone towers and the widespread "signals" from cell phones (and Dish networks) were messing with bees natural "frequencies". There are several threads on this on ATS especially regarding the colony collapse disorder. Here's just a couple:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
So, if these signals can interrupt the bees natural navigational abilities and so forth, why couldn't they mess with other animals such as owls?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

You make an interesting point. However the migration of the owls is a natural migration which happens every year. Just as geese and other birds seek out appropriate places to breed every fall.

I read an interesting article about the bee die off. It seems that a German chemical company manufacturer (Bayer) makes a pesticide that is applied to seeds to keep ground dwelling insects from eating the seeds in the ground. This chemical was said by the company, " to break down rapidly in the ground after the seed sprouted". Well after testing by an independent lab, it turns out that not only doesn't it breakdown, but is taken up by the plant and put into the pollen of the plants whose seeds were coated with it. Of coarse the bees consume the pollen and die.

The chemical has now been banned in Germany and other European countries. Trouble is that it is used worldwide.

I'm afraid that I don't buy into the radio frequency thing. Radio has been around for a long time and more powerful transmissions than cell phones and satellites. They only have a very small power for their transmissions. Why no problem from radio station that broadcast at 50000 watts.
edit on 1/29/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1

As for the animal migration behaviors, I thought there was an ATS thread a while back that suggested that all of the cell phone towers and the widespread "signals" from cell phones (and Dish networks) were messing with bees natural "frequencies". There are several threads on this on ATS especially regarding the colony collapse disorder. Here's just a couple:
So, if these signals can interrupt the bees natural navigational abilities and so forth, why couldn't they mess with other animals such as owls?

Here is one I posted also regarding that side of the story: thread here

It could also be a combination of many factors, not just food sources...
edit on 29-1-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Wonderful stories Starwise...you seem very connected.

As far as the Snowy Owl is concerned. It is not the only migratory bird that is messed up. There are many.

My theory...magnetic poles are moving.

However, if they are moving towards Russia and all the climate zones are moving along that same way, then wouldn't the Snowy Owl be flying into Russia...not US...our climate will end up being tropical!!

Think about why the Snowy Owl would be this far south? Wouldn't they intuitively know where the Artic "will" be???

Definitely magnetics messing with all these migratory birds.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by blazenresearcher

Thank you. You also brought up some interesting information. Yes, why wouldn't the owls be flying south instead of the opposite direction??

This year I have witnessed geese flying north in November.......It also makes you wonder what kind of havoc this is playing on our human minds!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join