It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The middle child syndrome !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Being a middle my self and also a few years ago in passing in heard this discussion somewhere tho i cant remember exactly where i thought to research it more fully and to hopefully provide my self and other middle children a better understanding of why they do or dont do the things that they do or dont do...

As a child a " middle child " to be exact , i was always attempting to be both of my parents attention .. from the time my younger brother was born . it got to the point that i no longer cared about the lack of attention esp from my father that i just kept to my self as a teenager . did ok in school . not great but , not failing either ..

the career that i set for my self when i was 16 was to be an author , but for some odd reason i lacked the confindence to become one .. or maybe it was the mental abuse from my step mother , younger brother, and sister that prevented me from ever writing anything ..
then you had my father tell me over and over again that i would never get a job better then a low paying one ..

www.essortment.com...

The middle or second born child or children often have the sense of not belonging. They fight to receive attention from parents and others because they feel many times they are being ignored or dubbed off as being the same as another sibling

middlechildpersonality.com...

The eldest child is the leader, often he has strong decisive qualities that allow him to make firm decisions. This may be due to the expectations and special attention given to him by his parents. The youngest child is often lax and confident, probably the loudest and sometimes spoiled because the parents

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Do you have a hot older sister that looks like Marcia Brady?

As the eldest I have strong decisive qualities that allow me to make firm decisions. Im all groovy like Greg was

edit on 29-1-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I suggest that you change your focus as picturing yourself as a victim and image that you are a whole individual that can operate without that baggage.

All of that business was yesterday. What have YOU done for yourself TODAY other than lament about the past?

*****************************************************************************************************************************
I came back to this post to add that one of my daughters was a middle child and she too felt isolated between a younger, hyperactive brother that got most of the attention and her older sister that also acted up to get attention. This middle child later went on to get her nursing certificate and then a teacher's degree. She has a very successful life. I know--she threw it up to me once in a long triad--that she felt somewhat as you do, but she did not let it spoil her life. You can't change the past, use it to make your future.

Yes, the "middle child" syndrome is recognized as valid, but you wanna hear about me having a two-year younger brother that got to do everything I got to do? No. See. We all have our victim suits we can pull out to wear when we feel sorry for ourselves. Start calling yourself "Sunshine" and move on into the day.
edit on 29-1-2012 by Aliensun because: Round out my point

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

My problem came later on, after my older siblings went off and all of a sudden my parents acted like I was supposed to be the leader of my younger siblings which I was not really very well suited for and when they went bad, I got blamed, really nice (not).

top topics

join