It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would it be like

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I hear a lot about an attack, nuke or otherwise, that will cause financial collapse of the stock market, job market, and basically the end of finances etc.... Usually these threads are in the prediction forum. Anywhoo, my question, or topic of discussion is, if martial law is imposed, most of us are unemployed, and money is worthless, what will it be like?? Are they going to shut off my electricity because I can't pay a bill? Will I have electricity, water etc...?? Will food be rationed, or will it be bartered by those that have? I have a friend who has a massive stockpile of liquor and cigarettes for trade when "it" happens, when I ask him what "it" is, he says "exactly, gotta be ready for anything" So there it is people, have it at it, what will daily activities be like in a collapsed financial country with martial law imposed.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
members.tripod.com...

An interesting site to look at. It shows what happens during martial law and how to prepare for it.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by elaine]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Food would be rationed. They would'nt let you stockpile it either. Guns would be banned. They could conduct house to house searches for guns or stockpiled food. All electric and fuel sources would be seized by the government so I don't know if we pay a bill or not? How could we if we are unemployed? All farms are seized too as food suppliers.
I think it would be best to be self sufficient as possible if martial law were ever imposed. It would probably be worse in the big cities and better out in the rural areas.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
We are so abstracted from basic survival that the aftermath of a nuclear attack would be too much for a lot of people to take. What if the supply chains break down and you have to hunt for your own food? There are a lot of people who would simply be unable to do this. I don�t know what scale of nuclear conflict you are talking about, but if you are talking a serious nuclear exchange I would surprised if I had any electricity at all. I think without basic services, a lot of the people in the northern states would die due to the temperature (if it was fall/winter) or there would be a rush to get to the southern states where it is warm.

As far as martial law goes, I never really though about that. I think that would primarily be for major metropolitan areas where the population can be easily controlled. Trying to control everyone in the country would be quite an undertaking.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
if martial law was imposed, i would try and get out of the big city i live in.. Not only would there be MANY riots, Loots, and whatnot, A LOT of people would go crazy because they think that its not happenenig or something, because they are so used to the technological world.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I find it odd people couldn't live without our current society.

I can grow food, build shelter, purify water, and generally live w/o society. Short of protecting what I may have from those unable to fend for themselves, i would have little issue with the collapse of society.

As for things like alcohol and tobbacco for trade, thats just silly in the long run, though not a bad idea for the short term. Alcohol and tobacco are easy to make/grow.

As for martial law, that could only be enforced in urban areas. I'd happily leave my city appartment and wander off into the woods if I had no reason (work) to be here.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
If Martial Law occured I would most likely try and flee the area before it would take effect. I couldn't live in a country that was controlled by ML it just wouldn't be right or something.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest

I can grow food, build shelter, purify water, and generally live w/o society. Short of protecting what I may have from those unable to fend for themselves, i would have little issue with the collapse of society.

As for things like alcohol and tobbacco for trade, thats just silly in the long run, though not a bad idea for the short term. Alcohol and tobacco are easy to make/grow.

As for martial law, that could only be enforced in urban areas. I'd happily leave my city appartment and wander off into the woods if I had no reason (work) to be here.

Hey me too Quest. I think that the most problem you'd have is keeping looters and bandits away. The ones who are too lazy to take care of themselves or just don't know how.
I already live in a very rural area in the South. We would just revert back to the old days here. Light up the old woodburning stove! It can cook for you and keep you warm.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I didn't state this above but I think it very important to say that i am NOT a survivalist. I have no rations or cashes of stuff. I do not expect society to fail. But if it does it blows my mind how many people would die off. Survival depends on only 2 things, knowledge and force. The kowledge to know how to live off resouces and force to protect it from others.

I'd also like to add that I don't think martial law and failure of society could happen together. The collapse of society would imply that the men and women of law/military enforcment would face the same problems. Ask any soldier if his CO or Children came first and he would tell you his children if it were life and death.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Well said.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think a must would be a book on herbs, plants. Not like you're going to be able to go down to the drug store.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I would pack my backpack and start making my way to some border. I can't live in a ML state. I would rather die trying to get out then stay.Its live free or die for me.

p.s i don't have any food either, or own a gun.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripnastic
if martial law is imposed, most of us are unemployed, and money is worthless, what will it be like??

There would me no more reasons to attempt to 'fit in' with this society. This momentary reality would be shattered and another would take its place. Would you hand yourself over to your enemies who claimed to know what is in your best interest?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Really? I think you may be the minority. Maybe I just don�t have that much faith in people, but I don�t think that a significant amount of society would survive for very long.

That said, the human body is capable of amazing things. But when someone lets it go to waste by eating five fatburgers a week and sitting around watching TV all day, their capability is greatly diminished. I think a lot of people in the major metro areas would kill each other off trying to find a food/water supply. Those who are tough enough and have the will to survive will probably pick up and move on with life, and those who aren�t would perish. (IMO)

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
suberbia seems ill prepared for such an occurance. my main goal, if the trend of government imposing powers continue would be to....

1. purchase 3 assault rifles, much like the ones depicted in paras avatar. ammo, and clear out a safe spot for them in case of military seaches.

2. create a fortified area of my house, in case combat ensues, i will probably be on good terms with the military, just cooperate and ensure them you have everyones best interest in mind.

3. survival supplys and gear!

other then that i dont see anything too vital for conducting busness as usual. gonna pretty darn boring with no internet, but thats good it will give everyone an excuse to get out of their frekin houses!

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   

suberbia seems ill prepared for such an occurance.

You got that right, I have a friend in Volusia County Florida who can attest
to that. Hurricane Charley is maybe not on the scale thats being talked
about here, but I believe it was a small taste of it.

new topics

top topics

join