It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star that flashes red, green and blue turns out to be something quite different!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I now other people have seen these "stars" that appear to be flashing different colors. I know my husband and I have seen them several times. We decided to take a couple pictures of one tonight and are pretty sure now that we are right as far as these things not actually being stars. Can anyone explain what these are for me?

1st two pictures are the unedited pictures and the 2nd set are the same pictures just zoomed in...

edit on 29-1-2012 by beenupsince2007 because: posted same picture twice

edit on 29-1-2012 by beenupsince2007 because: (no reason given)

Anyone else believe in "as above , so below"?
Example of a protein going from linear strand to three dimensional folded enzyme.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You really need to use a tripod, and yes I am pretty sure they are stars. But blurry, wobbly photos prove nor disprove anything.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by beenupsince2007

Its called scintillation where the stars light is refracted through the atmosphere and flashes different colours as the star gets higher in then sky the effect stops. en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 29-1-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
SIRIUS, its a star, sorry if I misspelled.

It flashes green, blue yellow, red, etc. If I remember right its like twice the size of our sun and almost twice the distance of our sun.

SUN 1,400,000KM distance from earth
SIRIUS 2,500,000KM distance from earth

I always think that its a chopper or something, because the last month or so it looks like it slightly moves, or that I would like to see it move, LOL. It moves with all the other stars, but still believe its the star SIRIUS.

That's my take anyhow.

Its the biggest star I can see with my eyes, the other is the Planet Jupiter. To me the rest are the solid colors, mostly white

edit on 29-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Sweet, didn't know that.

Thanks for the def. and vid

S

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
SIRIUS, its a star, sorry if I misspelled.

It flashes green, blue yellow, red, etc. If I remember right its like twice the size of our sun and almost twice the distance of our sun.

SUN 1,400,000KM distance from earth
SIRIUS 2,500,000KM distance from earth

I always think that its a chopper or something, because the last month or so it looks like it slightly moves, or that I would like to see it move, LOL. It moves with all the other stars, but still believe its the star SIRIUS.

That's my take anyhow.

Its the biggest star I can see with my eyes, the other is the Planet Jupiter. To me the rest are the solid colors, mostly white

edit on 29-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

Sirius is a binary star 2.6 parsecs (8.6 light years) from the earth, which is a lot farther than 2500000km
try 81,362,880,000,000km.

here is another thread about atmospheric scintillation of Sirius : Scintillation of Sirius
edit on 29/1/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Dumbass #1 for this morning

Thank you for the correct input. 8.6 huh, I was a bit off yeah?

Damnit Jim I'm a mason, not a astronomer.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
You're moving the camera, and that's what makes the impression of the line. I've done it.,

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
satellites prolly, they change colors from the sun reflecting on the metal :/

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd

no, ALL stars scintillate. It is the effect from the atmosphere acting on a point-source of light. That is why planets don't scintillate, because they are not point-sources.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd

no, ALL stars scintillate. It is the effect from the atmosphere acting on a point-source of light. That is why planets don't scintillate, because they are not point-sources.

ok so how is what i said a No then? seeing how i'm right as well your statement should be , yes and also , and in his case it prolly still is a satellite if he hasn't noticed it before

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think it's either Sirius or Betelgeuse combined with the fact that you are photographing star light. Either way read up on Betelgeuse it's awesome. It could go supernova any day (well that would mean it went hundreds of years ago).

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by beenupsince2007
I now other people have seen these "stars" that appear to be flashing different colors. I know my husband and I have seen them several times. We decided to take a couple pictures of one tonight and are pretty sure now that we are right as far as these things not actually being stars. Can anyone explain what these are for me?

1st two pictures are the unedited pictures and the 2nd set are the same pictures just zoomed in...

edit on 29-1-2012 by beenupsince2007 because: posted same picture twice

Anyone else believe in "as above , so below"?
Example of a protein going from linear strand to three dimensional folded enzyme.

S&f ! WOW! I only thought that it was myself seeing this/these! THE SAME COLORED FLASHING OBJECT IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE IN THE SKY FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS. I CALLED IT "MY OWN PERMANENT UFO"!
Ha, ha, ha! No-one else seemed to have noticed it or even cared - or if they did they didn't say - but to me it was plain as day and it is STILL fascinating to me. I've not heard then nor since of man-made satellites or space station that flash different colors - I'll agree that it may simply be satellites/space station surfaces reflecting off the sun, but again the colors look too deliberate and deeply bright and real!

I don't live there now, but when I visited 2 years ago it was still there. I remember the night that I very first saw it, I even asked others to call out LOUD the different colors as they changed and EVERYONE saw the same thing. It is very low in the dark night sky, but high enough not to be a warning light on a distant mast or tower. Oh, and the old chestnut about it being a REGULAR STAR ONLY SEEMING TO FLASH COLORS DUE TO EARTH ATMOSPHERE is RUBBISH! There are REGULAR stars next to it which are NOTHING like it! It is as if it is a colored LED flashing it is so different!

IMAGINE IF ITS ALIEN - BEEN THERE IN PLAIN SITE FOR THOUSANDS, MILLIONS, BILLIONS, TRILLIONS OF YEARS - AND THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT TELL US ABOUT IT, OR MAYBE IT IS BLACK-OPS, OR IS COMPLETELY EXPLAINABLE?

edit on 29-1-2012 by neotech1neothink because: add text

edit on 29-1-2012 by neotech1neothink because: add more text

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Reminds me of an Old Proverm Hymn,, went something like,,

Twinkle,,,twinkle ,,little star,,,,

big breath,,,,

how i wouner,,,
breath,,

oh ya what,, you are,, not where you are u knit, ,,,

sorry,,,
WHAT u are children,,,,

lol...
yup been there,,

Me.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
Reminds me of an Old Proverm Hymn,, went something like,,

Twinkle,,,twinkle ,,little star,,,,

big breath,,,,

how i wouner,,,
breath,,

oh ya what,, you are,, not where you are u knit, ,,,

sorry,,,
WHAT u are children,,,,

lol...
yup been there,,

Me.

HA, HA, HA!
METHINKS YOU'VE CAUGHT A TOUCH OF THE OLD "COUNT ARTHUR"?????
HA, HA, HA!

Steve Delaney, creator of "Count Arthur Strong" - I'M BEGINNING TO THINK THAT HIS SHOWS WERE MADE PURELY FOR "ATS'ERS" ONLY!

"IT IS ONLY 'WE' WHO CAN FULLY APPRECIATE ITS "MULTIPLE-DIMENSIONS" OF DEPTH/ORIGINALITY/CLEVERNESS/CREATIVITY AND ITS HEAD SPLITTING CONVULSING HILARITY"!

PROBABLY THE FUNNIEST COMEDIAN IN HISTORY! I DARE/I CHALLENGE YOU NOT TO LAUGH!

I'M IN F*CKING STITCHES JUST CLICKING ON THESE LINKS -
NO MORE PLEASE!
I CAN'T STAND ANY MORE
PAIN IN MY STOMACH WITH LAUGHING!

Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show!

(1.A) COUNT ARTHUR STRONG - At Christmas - PART 1 OF 2 - BBC Radio Com.wmv
www.youtube.com...

(1.B) COUNT ARTHUR STRONG - At Christmas - PART 2 OF 2 - BBC Radio Com.wmv
www.youtube.com...

(2.A) Count Arthur Strong Beer Cruise PART 01 BBC Radio Comedy
www.youtube.com...

(2.B COUNT ARTHUR STRONG - Beer Cruise - PART 2 OF 2 - BBC Radio Comedy.wmv
www.youtube.com...

(3.A) COUNT ARTHUR STRONG - Coach Trip - PART 1 OF 2 - BBC Radio Comedy.wmv
www.youtube.com...

(3.B) Count Arthur Strong - Coach Trip - PART 02 - BBC Radio Comedy.wmv
www.youtube.com...

(3.C) Count Arthur Strong - Coach Trip - PART 03 - BBC Radio Comedy.wmv
www.youtube.com...

GUYS. I WILL POST MORE LINKS TO HIS "BBC RADIO CD/DVD" STUFF SOON (IMHO - BBC IS MORE FUNNY THAN HIS LIVE STUFF).

ENJOY! IF YOU KNOW ANYONE UNHAPPY/UNDER THE WEATHER THEN SEND THEM HERE! THEY WILL BE SMILING!

en.wikipedia.org...!

edit on 29-1-2012 by neotech1neothink because:

edit on 29-1-2012 by neotech1neothink because:

top topics

join