It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 = NOTHING

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by sickofitall2012

There is no Mayan prophecy being fulfilled since there is no Mayan prophecy concerning 2012. This is why

2012 = nothing

God you are so rude and help no one but your own ego - Do you speak to friends and family in this manner.
Perhaps he was saying about a Mayan Calender or long count but used the word Prophesy.
Your so black and white you should be a Zebra.
2012 equals Nothing is such a dumb and provocative statement - Cant you see that.
2012 is what it is regardless of any prophesy overlayed onto it - Nothing is No Thing - 2012 is something it is the year we live in and what ever it brings whatever that may be.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by swampcricket

Agreed. Nothing more significant will happen in 2012 than what happened in any year before it. It is just another year folks. Nothing more.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

At that point you're just playing the semantics game. Of course no one is saying that the year 2012 does not exist. However, it is much easier to refer to December 21/23, 2012 as simply 2012. The OP was clearly using 2012 in reference to the 2012 phenomenon and not the actual year.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by artistpoet

At that point you're just playing the semantics game. Of course no one is saying that the year 2012 does not exist. However, it is much easier to refer to December 21/23, 2012 as simply 2012. The OP was clearly using 2012 in reference to the 2012 phenomenon and not the actual year.

YES i got a little annoyed - my fault.
I should know better

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Best theory I've seen thus far.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This topic is the main point of this entire forum and without it this forum would not exist. I think that right there is support enough to prove that it does have some "back" behind it.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OGOldGreg

No it doesn't.

Just means that enough people have an interest for them to have a forum for 2012 speculation.

I'm not bashing believers, or non-believers.....

This forum's existence doesn't validate anything.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0cryptic0truth0
reply to post by swampcricket

Agreed. Nothing more significant will happen in 2012 than what happened in any year before it. It is just another year folks. Nothing more.

However, I do foresee a high increase of demand for psychologist in 2013 in order for people to cope with Disappointment.

Many people are fed up with the way things are and are hoping for some type of intervention whether its Aliens or Divine. When 2013 comes and people still need to make their monthly payments and go to their uncelestial fulfilling jobs many are going to be bummed out.

On the good note, many will find a way to cope because of my next prophecy. In 2013 we will realize that we made a mistake and that real date of enlightenment will be after 2013 and not 2012.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OGOldGreg

If it has some "back" how come nobody can provide evidence to support even the most basic claims about it? Not one person has been able to provide me with an example of the Long Count that ends on 13.0.0.0.0. The only "back" it has are lies told by New Age authors. Of course since they're "alternative" people take these people at their word without bothering to actually research any of the claims. As I have said in the past, 2012 believers are the definition of sheeple.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There are many different predictions and concerns revolving around the year 2012 .
Some say the veil of ignorance will be lifted and human consciousness heightened whereas others predict more grim scenarios . All the fuzz about 2012 can seem overwhelming and worrying , but it can also be interpreted as an encouragement to broaden one's knowledge about what is going on in this world .
In my opinion , the moral values a person has not necessarily determine , but at least influence how any communication is perceived or interpreted .

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

Name one prediction in regards to 2012 that was made before 1983. You can't. Do you know why? Because that's the year the GMT correlation was published giving us the December 21, 2012 date. After that everyone and their brother just so happened to start receiving visions and messages regarding the "end" of the Mayan calendar. You'd think that if these prophecies were real they would have been making them before the date December 21, 2012 had any kind of archaeological significance.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

There is one prediction, the calendar will enter a new eon.
Now in actual fact this is akin to turning over the calendar page from january to february.
in this context i too, can predict that march will follow february!
what an astute prediction.

runners up in the prediction race: the 4 ages of the hindus. we are now in the iron age, as it were, and enlightenment and the new golden age is around the corner.
I propose it is not around the corner, but already here!
I quote bob marley: "heaven is a place on earth..." heaven equating golden age.
its just some gullibles have missed out on a good science, philosophy and thinking education.
so for them, the obvious is occult (hidden). where i see wonder and amazement, they point their fingers and say god or aliens or ancient wisdom. little do they realize, that it is us, and us alone that centers our thinking, and creates all that which is around us!
in a desperate reference to prop up their beliefs they will then quote authors who write fairy tales, and get offended when someone asks for proof.
is there a buzz?
sure there is. it is the buzz of the gullible, of those who have been left out and behind, who are too slow to learn and adapt.
alas, based on the numbers game, it is not they that are doomed, but us! the 5% of skeptics and rational thinkers, who may soon be wiped out by ignorance, quite like our neandethals ancestors.
until then, we can and have to make our last stand, hoping to bring forth and share the light of understanding, and fighting superstition!
it is unlikely we will succeed, but we have to try!

edit on 2-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

The prediction of entering a new eon is not true. It comes from the Popol Vuh a post-Columbian text that was influenced by the beliefs of Franciscan monks. At this point in time the Long Count was no longer in use, so the claims regarding a "new sun" do not have a connection to the Long Count. If you actually look at the reasoning behind the Long Count, to represent the year of distant dates both future and past, it becomes clear that the Long Count was meant to run on to infinite. They had no distinction of AD and BC, so how would they have been able to tell one 12.15.7.2.9 from another 12.15.7.2.9?

As for the Hindus, most researchers place the beginning of Kali Yuga around 3102 BC. It is believed to last 432,000 years. Therefore, we still have a long way to go before we reach Satya Yuga. I don't even know where these claims that tie the Hindu Kalis to 2012 come from. The only place I have seen that claim is on internet forums and they always claim that we will be entering Kali Yuga. In short, anyone who makes such claims clearly haven't even done the most basic research into Hindu cosmology.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

wow, you really don't understand irony too well, do you know?
this is not the first case of friendly fire with you.
anyway you are wrong....
from wikipedia:

However, and in common with other Mesoamerican societies, the repetition of the various calendric cycles, the natural cycles of observable phenomena, and the recurrence and renewal of death-rebirth imagery in their mythological traditions were important influences upon Maya societies. This conceptual view, in which the "cyclical nature" of time is highlighted, was a pre-eminent one, and many rituals were concerned with the completion and re-occurrences of various cycles. As the particular calendric configurations were once again repeated, so too were the "supernatural" influences with which they were associated. Thus it was held that particular calendar configurations had a specific "character" to them, which would influence events on days exhibiting that configuration. Divinations could then be made from the auguries associated with a certain configuration, since events taking place on some future date would be subject to the same influences as its corresponding previous cycle dates. Events and ceremonies would be timed to coincide with auspicious dates, and avoid inauspicious ones.[10]
The completion of significant calendar cycles ("period endings"), such as a k'atun-cycle, were often marked by the erection and dedication of specific monuments (mostly stela inscriptions, but sometimes twin-pyramid complexes such as those in Tikal and Yaxha), commemorating the completion, accompanied by dedicatory ceremonies.
A cyclical interpretation is also noted in Maya creation accounts, in which the present world and the humans in it were preceded by other worlds (one to five others, depending on the tradition) which were fashioned in various forms by the gods, but subsequently destroyed. The present world also had a tenuous existence, requiring the supplication and offerings of periodic sacrifice to maintain the balance of continuing existence. Similar themes are found in the creation accounts of other Mesoamerican societies.[11]

read it an weep.
cycles, eons, previous worlds, cyclical, specific calendar characters (aka eons) ? yep.
i am very similar with both hindu and maya cosmonology so don't smart ass me, with different words. and don't correct me, by saying exactly the same thing, with different words.
it is rude.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
as for cyclicality, I recommend this part of wikipedia again:

A cyclical interpretation is also noted in Maya creation accounts, in which the present world and the humans in it were preceded by other worlds (one to five others, depending on the tradition) which were fashioned in various forms by the gods, but subsequently destroyed. The present world also had a tenuous existence, requiring the supplication and offerings of periodic sacrifice to maintain the balance of continuing existence. Similar themes are found in the creation accounts of other Mesoamerican societies.[11]

You fail to understand what cyclicality is I feel. You think it is time repeating itself.
No, but the way THEZ RECORD TIME is a MIRROR of their pshyce, of their mythology.
It is not time actually repeating itself, it is akin to saying, those not knowing history are doomed to repeat it.
It is central to MOST cosmology it doesn't mean the same events will happen, but rather spring follows winter.
It is a symbolic interpretation, a myhtology, a fairy tale if you will, but still integral part of their beliefs.
And one that shines through their calender.
No bearing regarding the end of the world.
As it is more of a metaphysical cycle, but one that is mirrored in the calendar.
YOu know: youth, middle age, old age....cycle.
Do you grasp this at all?
I have a feeling you never studied mythology and philosophy so, you have no concept of how the ancients though of time. How ingrained it was in their mythology and vice versa. Off course you would just need to look at our calendar or is lams, but to obvious, right?
As mentioned previously, the Mayans were a TIME CULT, who foresaw and acted upon their own prophecies, rendering them real. Off course creative thinking is required.
Repeat something enough times, and believe it, and it may very well come to realize.
You can't really get under the skin of how the ancients though, can you now?....oh well, tough luck.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

The first part of that quote seems to be more discussing the Calendar Round and not the Long Count. The Calendar Round was cyclical and important days were planned based on the haab and tzolkin date. However, the source for the creation myths in the second part of the quote is the Popol Vuh. As I mentioned before this is a post-Columbian text that was influenced by Christian missionaries and was written when the Long Count was no longer in use. There is also no mention of similar creation myths throughout the entire Classic period and we have no examples of a Long Count ending after 13.0.0.0.0 during this period. Although we do have examples of Long Counts like those at Coba that extend trillions of years into the past, and Palenque, that extend thousands of years into the future.

In regards to the claim that the Mayan calendar is cyclical and that similar events occur on repeat dates, Mayan researcher Johan Normark just made a post about this very topic.

Events That Should Have Occurred If the Long Count Were Cyclical

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Check out these links and find out more why people claim that the Long Count is cyclical when it is really not. I hate to always use Normark, but he just happens to do a great job at making the material easy to read while giving his own opinion.

The Long Count Does Not End on December 21, 2012
The Long Count is Not Cyclical

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

i never said the same events transpired. that is not what cyclical means in this context. jan-dec. then repeat of months, that is cyclical, just like the seasons. it does mean the same events transpired. you really cannot grasp cyclicality for ancients can you?
and ALL ancient culture had a concept of cyclical timeframes (except a few, such a JUDAISM). for one there is the hindus with their 4 time frames,then buddhism....basically all. you failed mythology class. sorry.
you really need to understand what cyclical means in a mythological, philosophical context, otherwise you are going to alienate yourself from those people who have studied this for years at university level.
here is dummies article for you:
spaeths.net...

and no ITS NOT FROM POPUL VHUL. Its from students of the maya calendar, professors, you can read their books or contact them. THEZ ARE NOT END SAYERS.
WOW, very arrogant attitude, you have.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

wow from sour source:
"Gronemeyer and MacLeod also argue that the 13 Baktun (2012) date is not the end date. The following date will be 13.0.0.0.1 4 Imix 4 K’ank’in, rather than a new cycle. "
so 12.10.1.13.2 is followed by the above. according to them, but not by ESTABLISHED professors.
But it really is just nitpicking on words, it does matter, because TIME or THE WORLD doesnt END.
Anz scholar knows that this is not the case. Thez would not have moved to 13, but restarted the calendar. In fact this is the established scientific view. What you linked is a FRINGE, unexpected view.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
read this UNIVERSITY COURSEBOOK about the cyclicality of TIME in MAYA culture, which is THE ESTABLISHED view, not a FRINDGE writing, and get back to me, will ya?
books.google.hu... tiJgyV4uqXfWgB6KAQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=or8qT4rBIZLS4QTMv5XBDg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=cyclical%20mayan%20calendar%20%2B%20miller%20and%20taube&f=false
You know better then the UNIVERSITIES, right?
Wow.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join