It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spinel Thin Transparent Ceramic Armor defeats Barrett .50 Cal BMG

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Ok, wow.
I think this is the right place for this, if not please forgive me.
Apparently a transparent armor has been created.
Thought I would share. Don't know much more about it.
Impressive though.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by causeimalive

Pretty impressive but I've seen Chuck Norris catch those things in his teeth and chew them up like they were Chicklets.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

They used that to make a bullet-proof Swiss watch. There's already a stronger, thinner, and more transparent carbon material called graphene. I think either material would be a good investment because both will very likely see widespread use.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

Yes indeed.... To make Chuck break a sweat, it has to be 40mm at least.

Cool on the armor though. So bullet resistant glass becomes 100% bullet PROOF in the future. That sounds interesting.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Very impressive but he did say 50 cal ball ammo, not armor piercing. I would like to see that test in person so it could be confirmed that they are not using light rounds.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

I was thinking the same thing, i've shot .50 bmg before and the pressure impulse coming from the muzzle brake kicks up dust and dirt on the ground even when fired 4 feet above the ground on a bench. The loads just seemed a bit weak maybe they were subsonic handloads is what i'm thinking.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

I can't wait for Chuck to die in some really lame way.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Cool stuff!

I wonder how this stands up next to graphene or the see-through aluminum that was developed?

Thermal and optical properties as a ceramic and a window would be interesting to see too for applications in spacecraft, and very high speed jets where air friction at high speeds can make things toasty for some materials.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I heard about graphine and how it could be used for about anything, didn't hear that they made armor out of it though.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I hope they start replacing the sapi plates in the military body armor with this.
It would be a lot lighter and less bulky.

Still I think getting hit by a 50 cal PERIOD would pretty much mean death, just from the force of impact.
But if it mitigates the 7.62 a lot better why now?

This is pretty interesting material. The video looked retarded though, too many high fives.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
the man said 50 cal ball ammo......
this stuff would make great windows for vehicles against ieds///////

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

This is exactly my thought. I will quote Ron White:
"It isn't that the wind's blowin' - It's What the wind is blowin'."

Its not that its stopped a .50, its the fact that it completely stopped the .50 and the force behind the bullet would break bones and or kill you just from impact.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'd hate to be punched by Jet Li while wearing only one of those thin things for protection.

Just saying.........if it can put a big dent in steel without going all the way through it, you don't want to do it.
edit on 29-1-2012 by tonycliffs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackDaniels90
reply to post by snowen20

This is exactly my thought. I will quote Ron White:
"It isn't that the wind's blowin' - It's What the wind is blowin'."

Its not that its stopped a .50, its the fact that it completely stopped the .50 and the force behind the bullet would break bones and or kill you just from impact.

The shockwave factor.
Just need a dampner effect and it's good for personal body armour

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well yes it did stop the .50 completely but did you see the heavy welded steel bar stock frame they made? Humans can't withstand the same amount of punishment to say the least. BUt I still think this would make awesome XSAPI style plates.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient

They used that to make a bullet-proof Swiss watch. There's already a stronger, thinner, and more transparent carbon material called graphene. I think either material would be a good investment because both will very likely see widespread use.

I believe non-composite, just straight graphene is way to brittle and would shatter if struck by a bullet, but I need to double check that... Very interesting use in electronics, chemical process's and where varied thermal properties are concerned. If however carbon materials, graphene being one configuration with a very ordered molecular structure, can be designed as in applications for nano-synthetic sapphire (diamond) now that would make very useful armor if composed with a fibrous/layered composite. Diamond alone has in effect no way to spread a shock wave across a surface, but that may or may not be that important. Hard to say. I've worked with these materials but not for use in ballistic armor.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is very interesting so diamond and or pseudo diamond cannot spread a shockwave? I have wondered about that for a long time. Anything more you can tell us would be awesome.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The term "Spinel" is very revealing. Implications may include being "woven or spun" with fibrous properties. That would produce very useful elasticity at the molecular level...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
This is very interesting so diamond and or pseudo diamond cannot spread a shockwave? I have wondered about that for a long time. Anything more you can tell us would be awesome.

In one respect the quality of "hardness"or scratch resistance since a scratch is just a cut into the surface of a material, the harder the material the more isolated and "locked"its molecular structure is. Bonds so tightly packed and as uniquely ordered as is diamond can not dissipate a shock wave with out maximizing impact at the point of contact. We have looked at using thin layers of synthetic sapphire on the surface of a structure, and looked at integrated sapphire-polymer composites at least in the lab. I know we've looked at if it can be mass produced economically and applied as one of several materials for protection say for a space craft or space suit against micro-meteorites.

Diamond just does not have any "give"normally. When it gives it shatters though very "cleanly", which is why someone who's a skilled jeweler can split a diamond so precisely.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It seems this material incorporates the best of both worlds, a fibrous ceramic. Interesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join