It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPD/DID and Quantum Psychiatry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleSun

Carl Gustav Jung proposed that there was a collective unconscious that all human beings share in and that this explained the universality of the interpretation of symbols and also how scientific breakthroughs seem to come in bunches as if "their time has come".

If his theories are true, then our brains are not self-contained units but are, in fact, like "radio receivers" for this shared consciousness.

While we can demonstrate that, at some level, this collective consciousness actually exists, the mechanism of its reception as a neurological/biological process, eludes us.

It could be that our consciousness is the way it is because it arises out of the quantum states of the universe and that while we believe we are the source of or selves and our thoughts, it is actually the universe that defines us and our thoughts.

This would explain some of the apparent paradoxes that arise where consciousness appear to modify reality at a quantum level but an alternate possibility is that the quantum state of reality imposes only one particular path that governs our observation. We cannot observe otherwise because the universe makes us only observe one thing. Simply stated, our observation does not influence the universe, the universe influences our observation.

This would explain and be compatible with concepts like life after death. If our brain dies, our consciousness would still exist and would, most likely, seek an alternate mode of expression. We would most likely perceive this alternate expression as "reincarnated" memories. Similarly, any memories of disembodied existence would be seen as existence "in the spirit".

This idea is the basis of the Orch-OR theory (Wikipedia: Orch-OR)

I would theorize that the mechanism of reception of the collective unconscious is a quantum one and that there are mechanisms within the neuron cell, possibly within the microtubules, that seem too small to have a gross function effect on the neuron. However, if these components were all "tuning the same signal", then the accumulated weight of the data could potentially influence the electrical output within the neuron.

If the neurons are receiving quantum information and decoding consciousness from some substrate other than the brain, and specifically in the quantum realm, then the decoding of alternate realities is a possibility if multiple realities interact at quantum levels.

Quantum bits (QBits) have four possible states and the advantage of quantum computation is that a single calculation returns multiple answers that encapsulate all possible outcomes compliant with quantum physics. In this way, the answer will include solutions that not exist in this particular branch of reality, but are part of an alternate branch.

edit on 29/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'd also like to add that this is possibly one of the best threads that I have seen on ATS.

The OP was truly insightful and interesting (and may well be true) and the quality of responses has been high.

PurpleSun, you have a beautiful mind/s and I'm so sorry that you have been so ill abused. Still, take some comfort that it has given you a view and outlook beyond the ordinary.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
amazing concept!
i will be reading all these pages now.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
All cool and all op, but still I would say be careful to what you let inside your head.

Especially beings from other universes.

I would have to agree with kbriggss some of them spirits are just waiting around looking to invade bodies. But I see this is just a case of getting to know yourself or yourselves better. So carry on. It is a interesting concept and theory you have there.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Very inspiring OP; although I first learned of MPD by researching Monarch programming, I never really went deep into how or why exactly the mind fragments. Or what realm those separable 'personalities' occupy; the entire concept seems paradoxical unless you refer to quantum theory like you've presented.

I have PSD (persistent stutter), & have experienced multiple depersonalization events while giving public speeches. Especially in stressful circumstances or when I had the most trouble speaking; like observing myself in 3rd person, my consciousness floating behind my body while watching myself speak/move. It was one of the most surreal things I've experienced apart from astral projection.

So, does MPD take depersonalization a step further; i.e you're not even aware of what your fragment personality is doing? Are you always consciously present in reality in some manner? Or is switching between them like instant anesthesia where time 'ceases' until awakening?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is a topic that I have always found fascinating; the relationship between "reality", the mind, and the brain. There are many areas in science that are not well understood, especially when considering quantum mechanics (qm).

I suggest you look into two different qm theories: 1. the "holographic" universe. My understanding of this (and I could be wrong) is that the universe is essentially a projected image, akin to a televsion screen, based on our perceptions of the world. Connecting into this would be a show called "test your brain" which pretty much discusses how easily our brains are fooled by visual input from our environments, to see what we EXPECT to see rather than what is there. A famous example of this is a person in a gorilla suit walking past a basketball court, with a very small number of people seeing it. Awesome show (the "test your brain"); highly recommend everyone to watch the series.

The second one to consider is string theory. Again, my understanding is that at the "fundamental level" (I'm using quotation marks for 2 reasons; first, there could be an even smaller level, and second, there is much debate within the qm community if this can really be considered science or not since it's not testable) there are a multitude of different dimensions (11, I think) that vibrate at a particular frequency. This is amplified over a large scale as you move from the microscopic (small scale) to macroscopic (large scale) level to define the characteristics of our universe.

I give both of these suggestions because as I initally stated, there are many things that science cannot explain. Typically, these are categorized into paranormal activities. Ghosts, clarvoyance, etc. MOST of these can be explained by perfectly logical explanations (such as a house settling to produce squeaks, the play of light to 'see' a ghost), there are some phonomina that are not so easily explained. I'm referring to actual recordings of moving objects where nothing shows up in infrared, electonic voice phonomina, etc. Not too sure what is going on there.

I realize this may seem off-topic, but there's a chance it's directly related to what you're referring to. What exactly is consciousness? Is it the same as the brain, or different? Does the brain give rise to hormones, and this in turn to the perception of consciousness, as is commmly believed, or does consciousness give rise to hormones, which in turn controls the brain? It's akin to what came first, the chicken or the egg? Are there different, parallel universes that can overlap in certain areas? I realize that some of this seems far-fetched, but let's not forget at one point we thought the world was flat, and that we're at the centre of the universe. Who knows what we'll believe about our world 1000 years from now.

In the words of Mark Twain, "Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't".

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleSun

The information transfer between universes could (in my belief without any proof) be through a sort of wormhole - that wormhole would infact BE the human brain acting as a conduit.

Reading this made me wonder if you're familiar with Roger Penrose's ideas about microtubules? I think they have pretty much been rejected by mainstream science but I seem to remember he talked about wormholes being related to consciousness and collapsing of the waveform. I only read a synopsis years ago and don't understand the ideas properly - I still have some of his books to read.

Possibly irrelevant, and quite probably completely misunderstood by me but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Dear Purple sun,

Excellent theorem, I have delved into the nature of disassociation and quantum mechanics as well. when the sh*t hit the fan worst for me, I became a new me to defend my sanity. It was as if I traveled to a different reality where god's influence was to be seen around every corner, and I could scare/inspire folks with the heady knowledge I had gained, at the cost of a bit of my sanity...

Now parallel universes, we essentially are a quantum singularity, make any wishes that have come true recently? That is your will asking for a shift into a an alternate dimension where you get what you are looking for. It however has it's limits, when it is outside of our ability to grow it will come out as a painfully granted wish. i cite the monkey's paw as when you get what you want, and your EGO-centric reasons for wanted get whomped due to the level of selfishness it was asked for with.

Now, my personal reality is not for everyone, but I'm a quantum observer so it changes to suit the personality that I have at any given time. If I'm a selfish prick and wish for myself a change in reality it has come back to bite me, but after reviewing it, I have learned something. a Quantum Karma if you will.

Now you can travel to an alternate universe much more simply than you imagine. Lay out 2 sets of socks for yourself tonight when you go to bed. In the morning, Pick which socks you are going to put on, then put on the other pair. As simple as that you have chosen to live in a parallel reality. Fun, huh?

-Matt

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You probably have alot of people ask you..."what are you talking about" when you speak to them.

I get that much of the time. Just being in my presence makes most nervous..Im somewhat like an empath reflector.....very awkward amongst the majority,,,youd understand if you were around to observe it.

Its not a psychological disorder....just means your brain is more lit up than most,,,but so is your heart.

Both emit emfs very much like a

edit on 29-1-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I kind of think all reality is made up of mind. With regards to split personality. Maybe the minds of people do flip in and out just like small particles do. |

Its kind of different but I have kind of thought the same about dreaming. Sometimes I have amazing dreams in which I seen entire different cultures and cities and stuff. I kinda wonder if I getting glimpses of other beings realities when I sleep.

The mind has many chambers and anything is possible...
A nice little book you might enjoy is the self aware universe by Amit Goswami. (Professor of Physics at the Institute of Theoretical Studies at the University of Oregon) An alternative journey into the world of quantum physics
edit on 29-1-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
I'd also like to add that this is possibly one of the best threads that I have seen on ATS.

The OP was truly insightful and interesting (and may well be true) and the quality of responses has been high.

PurpleSun, you have a beautiful mind/s and I'm so sorry that you have been so ill abused. Still, take some comfort that it has given you a view and outlook beyond the ordinary.

i haven't check in on ATS in a week and...wow...i'm just so floored at the response. thank u so much for ur ideas and ur words. i can't tell u how much i sincerely appreciate it. thank u

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
Very inspiring OP; although I first learned of MPD by researching Monarch programming, I never really went deep into how or why exactly the mind fragments. Or what realm those separable 'personalities' occupy; the entire concept seems paradoxical unless you refer to quantum theory like you've presented.

I have PSD (persistent stutter), & have experienced multiple depersonalization events while giving public speeches. Especially in stressful circumstances or when I had the most trouble speaking; like observing myself in 3rd person, my consciousness floating behind my body while watching myself speak/move. It was one of the most surreal things I've experienced apart from astral projection.

So, does MPD take depersonalization a step further; i.e you're not even aware of what your fragment personality is doing? Are you always consciously present in reality in some manner? Or is switching between them like instant anesthesia where time 'ceases' until awakening?

thank u for the great question! yes, MPD/DID is on the extreme end of the dissociative scale, a step beyond depersonalization. in fact, it's possible to have MPD/DID and go through bouts of depersonalization during stress (i just went through a period of almost two months of it). switching between different parts is different for different people depending on how well they've been able to come into awareness of their system. for me, after years of therapy and help, i'm able to fully communicate with other parts and i don't lose much time anymore if another part comes around. it does happen, but for me it's rare now. there is something called being "co-conscious" in healing...it's when you are present with another part at the same time. that's how it is for me 99% of the time now. even if another part comes and i "switch", i don't fully leave and i'm there with the other part. kind of an odd concept but it's pretty cool = )

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknownfairy
This is a topic that I have always found fascinating; the relationship between "reality", the mind, and the brain. There are many areas in science that are not well understood, especially when considering quantum mechanics (qm).

I suggest you look into two different qm theories: 1. the "holographic" universe. My understanding of this (and I could be wrong) is that the universe is essentially a projected image, akin to a televsion screen, based on our perceptions of the world. Connecting into this would be a show called "test your brain" which pretty much discusses how easily our brains are fooled by visual input from our environments, to see what we EXPECT to see rather than what is there. A famous example of this is a person in a gorilla suit walking past a basketball court, with a very small number of people seeing it. Awesome show (the "test your brain"); highly recommend everyone to watch the series.

The second one to consider is string theory. Again, my understanding is that at the "fundamental level" (I'm using quotation marks for 2 reasons; first, there could be an even smaller level, and second, there is much debate within the qm community if this can really be considered science or not since it's not testable) there are a multitude of different dimensions (11, I think) that vibrate at a particular frequency. This is amplified over a large scale as you move from the microscopic (small scale) to macroscopic (large scale) level to define the characteristics of our universe.

I give both of these suggestions because as I initally stated, there are many things that science cannot explain. Typically, these are categorized into paranormal activities. Ghosts, clarvoyance, etc. MOST of these can be explained by perfectly logical explanations (such as a house settling to produce squeaks, the play of light to 'see' a ghost), there are some phonomina that are not so easily explained. I'm referring to actual recordings of moving objects where nothing shows up in infrared, electonic voice phonomina, etc. Not too sure what is going on there.

I realize this may seem off-topic, but there's a chance it's directly related to what you're referring to. What exactly is consciousness? Is it the same as the brain, or different? Does the brain give rise to hormones, and this in turn to the perception of consciousness, as is commmly believed, or does consciousness give rise to hormones, which in turn controls the brain? It's akin to what came first, the chicken or the egg? Are there different, parallel universes that can overlap in certain areas? I realize that some of this seems far-fetched, but let's not forget at one point we thought the world was flat, and that we're at the centre of the universe. Who knows what we'll believe about our world 1000 years from now.

In the words of Mark Twain, "Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't".

this is pretty much exactly what my thinking has leveled down to. consciousness. what is it? well, it's a LONG thing to explain. and no, what you are saying in your response is not far fetched at all. it is exactly the type of thing that i believe is related to it all. i'm sure it has to do with string theory. i think it has nothing to do with ghosts and spirits. i could be wrong but i don't think that has any place in the discussion. BTW, the egg came first according to science as it is a cell. the chicken came first according to creation theories. hahaha. = )

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by morkington

Originally posted by PurpleSun

The information transfer between universes could (in my belief without any proof) be through a sort of wormhole - that wormhole would infact BE the human brain acting as a conduit.

Reading this made me wonder if you're familiar with Roger Penrose's ideas about microtubules? I think they have pretty much been rejected by mainstream science but I seem to remember he talked about wormholes being related to consciousness and collapsing of the waveform. I only read a synopsis years ago and don't understand the ideas properly - I still have some of his books to read.

Possibly irrelevant, and quite probably completely misunderstood by me but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it.

NOOOO! = ) Not at all irrelevant! in fact, i am familiar with a lot of penrose's ideas and i think they are VERY relevant..in fact they helped to inspire me with my ideas/theories about this. again, it goes back to conscioiusness. if one part/personality isn't there when another part is conscious, then according to his theory they have seperate consciouss and that means seperate realities. i think that is 100% accurate.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
You probably have alot of people ask you..."what are you talking about" when you speak to them.

I get that much of the time. Just being in my presence makes most nervous..Im somewhat like an empath reflector.....very awkward amongst the majority,,,youd understand if you were around to observe it.

Its not a psychological disorder....just means your brain is more lit up than most,,,but so is your heart.

Both emit emfs very much like a

edit on 29-1-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

honestly, that does happen alot! i actually get upset because a lot of time i talk and ask questions and people think i'm putting them down or purposely trying to make them feel ignorant. it happens in threads here on ATS all the time and i'm not trying to. things, for me, are just common sense and those ideas are so abstract for some people and normal to me and so i have a hard time relating. thank u so much for ur words. i truly appreciate them. i agree, it's not really a disorder as much as it means that my brain has a lot more than going on than most. as for my heart, that's for others to opine on and i appreciate yours very much! thank u!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

I kind of think all reality is made up of mind. With regards to split personality. Maybe the minds of people do flip in and out just like small particles do. |

Its kind of different but I have kind of thought the same about dreaming. Sometimes I have amazing dreams in which I seen entire different cultures and cities and stuff. I kinda wonder if I getting glimpses of other beings realities when I sleep.

The mind has many chambers and anything is possible...
A nice little book you might enjoy is the self aware universe by Amit Goswami. (Professor of Physics at the Institute of Theoretical Studies at the University of Oregon) An alternative journey into the world of quantum physics
edit on 29-1-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

I was first turned ont to Dr. Goswami's work when i saw "what the bleep do we know" and i found him VERY facinating and very spot on. i will read it!! = )

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
im fascinated! my diagnosis is on the same spectrum, but not full blown mpd, so when another 'personality' kicks in, i am fully aware and either pleased, when its a positive one, or fearful when i recognise a negative or lazy personality influence rear its head.

there have been times, when my thoughts were following their own path, that i wondered i if could be experiencing influences from some type of perhaps 'paranormal' event, but never took the thoughts any futher.

i shall follow this and reread my laymans guide to meta physics, as i am sure i read something that would back up your theory.

i am assuming that quantam physics and meta physics are on the same spectrum. if that assumtion is incorrect, please let me know, its not a subject i know much about.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The direction this might seem to take is that when one quantum state (universe?) personality has to fragment, or for some reason dissociate from the body, that this would allow for the person's personality from another quantum state (universe?) to step in if that personality is in a state of dissociation in that universe (such as from say being asleep or hopped up on something). Ie, while the alter's body is asleep in the other universe, the personality comes over to the body here to run things if needed.

If so, then there is another question that comes up. What if a person needed to check out of their body here, but wasn't ready to really disincarnate to an afterlife? It could easily be posited that they could then drop and tie into another body (in this universe or in another) where the former occupant of that body has either has left the building or has gone non functional. (barring some sort of agreement to share the driver's seat)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eccentriclady
im fascinated! my diagnosis is on the same spectrum, but not full blown mpd, so when another 'personality' kicks in, i am fully aware and either pleased, when its a positive one, or fearful when i recognise a negative or lazy personality influence rear its head.

there have been times, when my thoughts were following their own path, that i wondered i if could be experiencing influences from some type of perhaps 'paranormal' event, but never took the thoughts any futher.

that's pretty awesome that u are so aware! as the spectrum goes, u are very lucky!! it took me YEARS of work to be able to do that. I would imagine ur DX would be DD-NOS then but since you are in the UK it's different than here.

i shall follow this and reread my laymans guide to meta physics, as i am sure i read something that would back up your theory.

i am assuming that quantam physics and meta physics are on the same spectrum. if that assumtion is incorrect, please let me know, its not a subject i know much about.

i think quantum physics just explains "metaphysics". it's the scientific way of how it all works = )

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Overstuffed
The direction this might seem to take is that when one quantum state (universe?) personality has to fragment, or for some reason dissociate from the body, that this would allow for the person's personality from another quantum state (universe?) to step in if that personality is in a state of dissociation in that universe (such as from say being asleep or hopped up on something). Ie, while the alter's body is asleep in the other universe, the personality comes over to the body here to run things if needed.

If so, then there is another question that comes up. What if a person needed to check out of their body here, but wasn't ready to really disincarnate to an afterlife? It could easily be posited that they could then drop and tie into another body (in this universe or in another) where the former occupant of that body has either has left the building or has gone non functional. (barring some sort of agreement to share the driver's seat)

I don't think "afterlife" has anything to do with it. other than that, i think it's spot on. one consciousness is here in this conscious state of reality and in this body and then when switching occurs that consciousness goes to another conscious place in a parallel universe/multiverse, etc. at least that's what i think...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join