Military Weapon nicknames

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I wanted to know if people knew of Military weapon nicknames. But not nicknames from the side using them rather the side that is fighting against them. Here are some examples I know of.

The Russian Hind Gunship -called the "Devils Chariot" or ""Devils in the sky" by the Mujahideen in Afghanistan.They would slaughter tribal caravans, hovering just out of rifle range as they mowed down villagers with impunity.

The M1A1 MBT- which in the Gulf War came to be known as the " Whispering death " by Iraqie armed forces.Due to the fact the with its quiter engine and extreme range it would hit targets it was a silent killer

I think the Nickname a enemy gives a weapon is very interesting and helps define the weapon in a unique way.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The Germans used to call the Sherman Tanks of the Allies "Ronsons" or "Tommy Cookers" because they had a propensity for bursting into fire when hit.

The Allies called the German hand grenades "Potato Mashers" due to their unusual shape.

Or the British, who called the German V1 Rocket, "The Buzz Bomb" because of it's distinctive sound.

The Americans nicknamed the German Railgun Leopold(IIRC).... "Anzio Annie."

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
You gotta love the "Hind..."

F-14A Tomcat - The Ferocious Feline. It's officially nick-named this, and rightfully so.

M-60 7.62mm Machine Gun - The Pig. Sounds like one.

And that's all I know.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
British infantry weapons , all i really know :-)

L1A1 [ license built FN/FAL ] = SLR , thats official too

84mm Carl Gustav anti tank weapon = charlie G

L7A1 [ license built FN/MAG ] = gimpy , although phonetically a ferriner would hear it as jimpie

YRS - APE

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
My favorite weapon nickname is that of a fictitious weapon from the computer game "Doom".

It's BFG-9000. Although officially it's "Blast Fusion Generator",
rumor has it that in fact it's "Big F***ing Gun".

And, the "Chariot of Devil" in the first post of this thread actually existed long before the Afghan War, the inhabitants of Soviet Asia called the civilian choppers "Shaitan Arba", which translates as the Chariot of Devil.

E_T

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
www.csd.uwo.ca...
Flying Cigar: Mitsubishi G4M 'Betty'
Because of the shape of the fuselage and its inflammability.

Centipede: Tupolev Tu-142 'Bear-F'
The first batch of Tu-142s had twelve-wheel main gear bogies for operations from dirt strips. Later batches reverted to four-wheel bogies.

Flying Suitcase: Handley Page Hampden
Had a narrow, very deep front fuselage.

Ground Gripper: De Havilland Trident
A bit underpowered, especially during take-off.

Kaasjager: North American F-86K Sabre
Cheese fighter, nickname of the aircraft in Dutch service. Because of the letter K, and the association of cheese with the Netherlands.

Triple Threat: Republic F-105 Thunderchief
It could bomb you, it could shoot you, and it could fall on you...

Tsetse: De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.XVIII
A Mosquito with a larger cannon.

Propably not foreign nickname but IMO one the best:
Frustrated Palm Tree: Sikorsky R-4 Hoverfly
Early helicopter.

:
Voting Member: F-16 pilot
Because the computers can override his commands, if they are outside the design envelope.

Piiskatykki: "whipcannon", WW2 direct fire cannons of Soviets, because of their sound.
I don't remember other ones so here's little Finnish army slang words.

Bemari: BMP-1/BMP-2

Nicknames for anti-tank mine:
tellu: telamiina~anti-tank mine
Burana 10000: burana is "wonder pill/medicine what they give to every illness
kuntonappi: nappi=pill, and kunto~excersise because of running with these is good excersise
kultanappi: kulta=gold , because of its yellow color.

Nicknames for 20 kg demolition charge:
hvri (hvityspanos ~ demolition charge)
jumppakuutio, kuntokuutio (kuutio=cube, jumppa/kunto~excersise because carrying (/running with) those is good excersise)

itko, itikka: ITKK/ilmatorjuntakonekivri which is translation for "anti-aircraft machinegun"

kessi: kevyt kertasinko. (kevyt=light, kerta=disposable sinko=bazooka)

Petteri: BTR-50

Rebekka: RBK, target acquisition radar

Sergei: ITK-23 (ZU-23)

tenttu/tonttu: TNT/trotyyli/trinitrotolueeni(/explosive)

Tetsari: taisteluvy/TST-vy = battle vest.

There would be also some very nice nicknames for others things so I'll try to translate at least best of those if you want.
(like this one: piruntorjuntaupseeri, officially sotilaspastori: "anti-devil officer" aka military priest)

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I found another one

The F-117 Nighthawk was nicknamed "Shabah," Arabic for ghost by the Saudis during the Gulfwar.

They werent our enemies though some people might argue that now. They were outside observers to the plane so I thought it was interesting.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
im ex forces and we used to take the piss out of our own weapons more than anyone elses.

SA80 Rifle = The Gat ( cheap air rifle)

66m ANti Tank launcher = a peashooter

Flash bang = Thundie

LSW (light support weapon) = LSW (Long silly weapon)

And i noticed someone mentioned a "GIMPY" which is nickname for the General purpose machine gun

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Schrapnellmine 35 (SMi-35) mine = bouncing betty
Nebelwerfer 41 - 15cm Rocket Launcher - "Screaming Meamies"

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Thud=Thunderchief

F-16= The Electric Jet.

SA80 rifle + piece of s***, f***ing usless, #e, shat, etc ( a mate of mine in the military)

[edit on 15-9-2004 by rustiswordz]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Nobody mentioned that the A12/SR71 is called habu because the islanders of okinawa thoght it had a close resemblance to a little black poisonous snake.

The following is from habu.org:

A habu (pronounced "hah-BOO") is a poisonous snake found in southeast Asia (Japan, Phillipines, Taiwan, southeast China).
Habus are pit vipers, more closely related to the adder than to any species of North American snake. The actual "habu" (Trimeresurus flavoviridis) is relatively small, not usually getting longer than 5 feet. They are not typically aggressive but will bite if provoked. They are not as deadly as cobras or mambas, but are more much more dangerous than most North American venomous snakes. There are almost a dozen species of habu; the variety native to Okinawa (Trimeresurus okinavensis) is supposedly greenish or greenish-yellow; however, all habus are extremely rare in North America (less than a dozen specimens in all zoos combined) and photographs are very hard to come by.

When the A-12s (and later the SR-71s) were first flown to their new remote base at Kadena AFB in Okinawa, the local people thought that this strange and somewhat wicked-looking airplane was shaped like the habu snake. They started calling it the habu airplane, and later just habu. Crews who flew the airplane were also called Habu, and the name came to be recognized with the blackbird program and even incorporated into the insignia worn by the crews on their uniforms.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 04:08 AM
link   
www.winterwar.com...

Finnish made Suomi-SMG which users where usually called "Tikkakosken mannikiinit" because they used this fearsome weapon.

And Finnish skitroops where called "white dead" by Russian troops because they would jump out of the snow near/next to them.

www.winterwar.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
B-52: BUFF (Big Ugly Fat #er)
A-7 Corsair II: SLUF (Short Little Ugly #er)
F-117: Black Jet, Cockroach
F-15: Twin Tailed Tennis Court
F-16: Electric Jet, Lawn Dart
F/A-18E: Super Bug
S-3 Viking antisub: Hoover (due to the sound the high bypass engines make)
Slang for 50's jets by groundcrew: Blowjobs
USS Enterprise aircraft carrier: Big E
German 88mm Antitank/Antiair gun: crash bang (first you heard the explosion of the shell, then you heard the gun that fired it right afterwards)

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The LST (Landing Ship Tank) was affectionetly nick-named the Large Slow Target

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
WWII:

The American M7 SP artillery tank was nicknamed by the British "Priest" because it's commander's position resembled a pulpit. (IIRC)

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst
WWII:

The American M7 SP artillery tank was nicknamed by the British "Priest" because it's commander's position resembled a pulpit. (IIRC)

No it wasn't. All British Army artillery tanks had ecclesiastical names. Examples were WW2 25pdr Sexton and Bishop self-propelled guns, and 1960s-70s Abbot 105mm self-propelled gun.

Also, official Nato codes for Soviet equipment
Fighters: "F" names e.g. Fulcrum (MiG-29)
Bombers: "B" names e.g. Backfire (TU-22)
Cargo planes: "C" names e.g. Condor (An-126)(I think)
Other military planes "M" names e.g. Mainstay tanker
Surface-to-air missiles "G" names e.g. SA-7 Grail
Air-to-air missiles "A" names e.g. AA-8 Atoll
Air-to-surface weapons (including bombs) "K" names e.g. Kingfish, Kitchen
Surface-to-surface missiles and torpedoes "S" names e.g. SS-18 Satan (most powerful nuclear missile ever, total load 300 MT), SS-N-18 Stallion (I think)

E_T

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd Man
Also, official Nato codes for Soviet equipment

Surface-to-surface missiles and torpedoes "S" names e.g. SS-18 Satan (most powerful nuclear missile ever, total load 300 MT),

Here:
www.aerospaceweb.org...

And take one zero away. (or divide with thirty)
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odd Man
... e.g. SS-18 Satan

interesting, NATO surely gives some scary names... and that missile deserves it.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The AC-47 Aircraft and C-130 were known as "Puff The Magic Dragon" by US Troops in the Vietnam war. Flying low and slow while unleasing 1000s of round per minute from multiple machine gun ports would give it the appearance of breathing fire at nighttime.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The B-52, B.U.F.F. *A modification and nickname" "Big.Ugly.Fat.F##$er"
The B-36 PEacemaker had a nice nickname from it's size.
Aluminum Overcast...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join