It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singing Pillars of Tamil Nadu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Some cultures stones were used in musical ceremonies,There is a little known Temple, called the Elephant Temple South of Chennai (Madras). It has special tuned stone pillars and echo chambers at the back, and it was used to make Sacred Sounds that called in the Gods.The unique sound of the music of the stones immediately touches the surprised listener, evokes an atmosphere of another time and space and invites one into the 'heart of matter', expressing the vibrational nature of the manifested world.
Thanks for flying,sugarcookie1

edit on 28-1-2012 by sugarcookie1 because: oops

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the bumps ..But it would be nice to know what people think about these pillors

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Very beautiful. I wish I lived in a time where I could hear the priests play the songs they were made for.
I wonder why we don't make our religious buildings the same. It would call me to worship or at least make me pause and contemplate life and the wonders of the universe.
In America (at least where I've lived), we don't even have church bells ring on Sunday. That was one of my favorite things to wake up to when I was stationed in Italy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
Very beautiful. I wish I lived in a time where I could hear the priests play the songs they were made for.
I wonder why we don't make our religious buildings the same. It would call me to worship or at least make me pause and contemplate life and the wonders of the universe.
In America (at least where I've lived), we don't even have church bells ring on Sunday. That was one of my favorite things to wake up to when I was stationed in Italy.

Thanks for posting collietta, I would love to have lived back then when the people got together and played those pillars to the gods i imagine it to be beautiful and haunting ..
I live in a small community and they still ring the church bells on Sundays its beautiful and spiritual..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
When I was in my late teens I went on a journey into the Australian outback.
A park ranger was my guide and he was also from the ancient Adnyamathanha
(rock people) tribe, who are the custodians of that region.
He led us to a very narrow gorge with cliff faced walls about 40-50ft high.
Kind of like this one

As we ventured down the gorge it opened up into a oval shaped area on the
left as the rest of the gorge continued on. We went inside this natural chamber,
again it has high cliff face all around. On one side there was a smooth textured wall
that had a huge phallus carved into it. Our guide explained to us that this chamber
was where the men in his tribe were initiated into manhood for tens of thousands
of years and was sacred. No women were allow here, not that we had any with us.

Anyhow as the wind blew across the narrow gorge it would make a high pitched
drone sound like blowing across a bottle. The sound would fill the chamber and
deflect off the walls surrounding the observer. We waited for hours in the baking
heat until it finally happened in the late afternoon. It was an eerie yet wonderful
experience that gave me a primeval feeling in my gut. Your opening post reminded me
of that time.

Here is a link about Archaeoacoustics

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeLeu
When I was in my late teens I went on a journey into the Australian outback.
A park ranger was my guide and he was also from the ancient Adnyamathanha
(rock people) tribe, who are the custodians of that region.
He led us to a very narrow gorge with cliff faced walls about 40-50ft high.
Kind of like this one

As we ventured down the gorge it opened up into a oval shaped area on the
left as the rest of the gorge continued on. We went inside this natural chamber,
again it has high cliff face all around. On one side there was a smooth textured wall
that had a huge phallus carved into it. Our guide explained to us that this chamber
was where the men in his tribe were initiated into manhood for tens of thousands
of years and was sacred. No women were allow here, not that we had any with us.

Anyhow as the wind blew across the narrow gorge it would make a high pitched
drone sound like blowing across a bottle. The sound would fill the chamber and
deflect off the walls surrounding the observer. We waited for hours in the baking
heat until it finally happened in the late afternoon. It was an eerie yet wonderful
experience that gave me a primeval feeling in my gut. Your opening post reminded me
of that time.

Here is a link about Archaeoacoustics

LeLeu,What a wonderful experience to have been able to go to that ancient gorge and been able to listen to the music of the chamber i imagine it was very primeval..Can you imagine what it must have felt like to be initiated into manhood in that sacred area i bet they rembered that for the rest of there lives and felt privileged to pass it down..
Thank you for the link im going to read it..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

There are many other temples in India, which has such Musical Pillars. The famous ones are

Meenakshiamman Kovil of Madhurai, in the outermost corridors of the "The hall of thousand Pillars or Aayiramkaal Mandapam" are situated the granite musical pillars. When tapped, each pillar produces a different musical note and the hall resonates with the sound of this note.

Vitthala Temple of Hampi, in Karnataka State has pillars which sound tones when tapped. This temple was built by the Vijayanagara Dynasty and was built upon by many kings successively.

The other temples which have musical pillars are

Sri Laxmi Chennakeshwara Temple at Dharmavaram, Anantpur , Andhra Pradesh State, whose pillars pillars, produce seven different musical notes when struck.

The Mani Mandapam of the Shiva temple at Thirunelveli, Tamil Nadu State, has pillars which are musical.

I guess it took the master craftsmen who sculptured these temples long time to experiment with the resonance of these stones etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by coredrill

There are many other temples in India, which has such Musical Pillars. The famous ones are

Meenakshiamman Kovil of Madhurai, in the outermost corridors of the "The hall of thousand Pillars or Aayiramkaal Mandapam" are situated the granite musical pillars. When tapped, each pillar produces a different musical note and the hall resonates with the sound of this note.

Vitthala Temple of Hampi, in Karnataka State has pillars which sound tones when tapped. This temple was built by the Vijayanagara Dynasty and was built upon by many kings successively.

The other temples which have musical pillars are

Sri Laxmi Chennakeshwara Temple at Dharmavaram, Anantpur , Andhra Pradesh State, whose pillars pillars, produce seven different musical notes when struck.

The Mani Mandapam of the Shiva temple at Thirunelveli, Tamil Nadu State, has pillars which are musical.

I guess it took the master craftsmen who sculptured these temples long time to experiment with the resonance of these stones etc.

Yes i know there is many other sites that have the( Musical Pillars) But i chose this one because its little known in this area .. The guy in the video runs a local tourist shop, and he shows people about in order to lure them back to his sales counter.This temple is off the beaten path not many people even know about this temple with the singing pillars ..
I'm sure it took a master craftsmen to build these each one has a different sound it shows the ancients were very smart..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Well, they were not "Ancients" to be precise, but very well in the recent past, that is - in the Common Era, and not BCE.

I have personally visited the temples indicated in the post, played tones on them pillars. I am from India.

edit on 30/1/12 by coredrill because: typos

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by coredrill

Well, they were not "Ancients" to be precise, but very well in the recent past, that is - in the Common Era, and not BCE.

I have personally visited the temples indicated in the post, played tones on them pillars. I am from India.

edit on 30/1/12 by coredrill because: typos

I don't know the actual age of the temple but i felt it was old enough to put under Ancient civilizations, myths and Legends..
You are very lucky to have been able to go to this temple and played the pillars i would to if i lived in India
But i know i will never go there never could afford to ..But that must have sounded wonderful to get that chance to listen and play those pillars..thanks for posting,sugarcookie1

join