It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthly coincidences...or not.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I don't know why universal coincidences are so difficult to comprehend? They exist everywhere and the Golden Ratio or Fibonacci numbers are a great example.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

Coincidences aren't difficult to comprehend - but sometimes people read far too much into them, and then endeavor to stretch them to make them fit their theories. Like this suposed pyramid height to distance to the sun relationship. It's quite a stretch to say that something describes a certain distance, when that distance changes pretty much daily.

Here's a fun example. Say you found 2 people, born in completely different parts of the world, who look almost exactly alike, but they've traced their genealogy back hundreds of years and no common ancestor was found. Their ancestors look completely different, etc. Is it not just a coincidence that they look identical? Or was it by design? The way genetics work is that there are some recessive genes, and some dominant genes - some present themselves visibly under certain conditions, while others do not. And so the conditions happened to be just right in 2 different parts of the world, 2 different sets of parents, for these 2 people to look alike. In other words, it's simply a coincidence.
Same with the Great Pyramid - we don't know the builders, we don't know much about how or why the Great Pyramid was built. So it COULD just be a coincidence that the ratio between 2 times a side's length and the overall height of the pyramid happens to somewhat closely resemble the ratio Pi. We just don't know at this point, and there has been no solid evidence either way.
Of course, if some representatives of an advanced civilization came along in their ship and REPRODUCED the Great Pyramid, stone for stone, in absolute perfection, I'd be a bit more inclined to believe that either they built the original or they know why and how it was built.

One more thing. Universal constants are not universal coincidences. They're just how things work. The physical conditions within this universe dictate that they work that way, and probably can't work any other way. If there's a perceived violation of a constant, it's probably that we can't see all factors involved. Now I say probably, because I can't be absolutely certain - noone can. We have barely scratched the surface of our local star system, let alone even just our quadrant of the galaxy!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by juleol

I agree!

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Very interesting. Now I wish I had paid more attention in school to science and math.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Thread could easily be renamed the universal coincidences

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join