It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fried food not a direct cause of heart risk, new research finds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Fried food heart risk 'a myth'

Fried food heart risk 'a myth'

A new study has found that there is no direct correlation between the amount of fried food people eat and their risk of heart disease. Instead, the research found that long-term heart risk depended more on what kind of oil was used in the cooking process — olive oil and sunflower oil are considered the healthiest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Y ahoo News Clip

published in the British Medical Journal

edit on 28-1-2012 by theRhenn because: damned buggy crappy poster!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
WHAT??? You mean I can keep eating my fried foods with little to no worry???

This is, if true, the best news Ive heard. No more fried food complaints, so long as it's cooked in the right oils.

If you're like me, and absolutly LOVE fried foods... Then this news story is for you!

Enjoy!

n ews.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

It may not destroy your heart.

But It will still destroy your waist line.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
fried foods are not healthy with or without trans fat,

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

I agree. But that's not the point is it? I don't think anyone is arguing that there are good for you; just that they (if in the right oil) aren't going to kill you....necessarily

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

There may well still be links. It is talking about two specific oils. Olive and sunflower.

In Spain, a Mediterranean country that uses olive or sunflower oil for frying, the consumption of fried foods was not associated with risk of coronary heart disease or all cause mortality Frying with other types of fats, reusing oils several times, or consuming fried snacks high in salt may still be harmfu

www.bmj.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

This is very good news! The only oil I use is (extra virgin olive oil); the sunflower oil I am thinking of trying. I personally don't eat a lot of fried foods...but once in a while I like to make oven fries...and I use olive oil for them. Also when I make homemade popcorn...I use an air-popper and then instead of butter...I use olive oil with some kosher salt.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Makes sense. People in the South used to eat fried food all the freaking time, and there's old people all over the place around here.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This article is retarded. It says it depends on the oil. If you go to a restraunt or buy store bought fried food then its going to be soy oil or vegetable oil. You know fat people are going to miss read the article because they get excited.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
i wonder which fast food outlet paid off these scientist's, McDonalds anyone?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I can't buy this because every time you turn around, something that was good for you isn't anymore; something that wasn't good for you suddenly is. The way the gov't is trying to control our food, 'fix' our seeds, etc., I really don't trust one word outta them about anything I put into my body.

I do my best to eat as healthy as possible and stay active. I steer clear of sugars, fried foods, etc. On a super rare occasion, I'll have a fried chicken breast if someone made it and I was a guest in their home, but the last time I recall eating anything fried was back around 2004 or 2005. Super rare as I said.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yes I know this, but only if you don't eat it all the time. Variety. Olive oil is good. But coconut oil and butter are the two most essential oils and the butter is best if its organic and whole, certified inspected and unpasteurized.

You need a lot of good oils in your body daily for your health, but fried isn't the best way of doing it necessarily. Oils kept at a lower temperature are better and don't turn into the wrong kinds. Like several tablespoons of coconut oil, minimum.
edit on 28-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
My gut tells me fried food is not good for you...how many times are studies conducted that contradict a previous one..enjoy the read thought..thanks OP

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
You know fat people are going to miss read the article because they get excited.

Like a Catholic Priest let loose in a boys locker room?

I like peanut oil but apparently it's unholy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

It really depends upon the restaurant and the meal.

The best skillet-fried potatoes are fried using a healthy amount of bacon grease (though you often have to supplement because you end up cooking bacon for the grease more than the bacon).

The best deep-fryer oils are derived from peanut oil - it filters well (stays clean longer) and doesn't transfer flavors like other oils will. I'm not certain exactly what oils this study includes - but it's my experience that the peanut oils are far superior in almost every consideration (hence their greater price).

Eating isn't rocket science - I don't know why so many people attempt to turn it into such. It's pretty simple - your body needs vitamins, proteins, minerals (structural and biochemical agents), water, and sugars (energy/carbs) to function. Some foods will irritate certain conditions or affect the body in various ways (both good, bad, and "win-some-lose-some"); but you have to meet the basic needs for your body. Our bodies like to save these things for a rainy day in fat. Exceeding your daily needs by large amounts on a regular basis will lead to weight gain and health problems as your body has to manage and maintain more materials.

Yes, I'm dumbing that down, considerably. But, honestly, people worry a bit too much about what they eat, most of the time. They get so caught up in trying to preserve their life that they end up being as enjoyable as the hospital food they hope to avoid.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

It may not destroy your heart.

But It will still destroy your waist line.

Yes yes.. That it will. But not mine. Im one of those that tries desperatly to gain much needed weight. I'm doing much better now days, but still very very hard to get the calories I need to STAY in me

I burn more calories sitting still. I feel like a damn molecule in absolute zero. lol

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

There may well still be links. It is talking about two specific oils. Olive and sunflower.

In Spain, a Mediterranean country that uses olive or sunflower oil for frying, the consumption of fried foods was not associated with risk of coronary heart disease or all cause mortality Frying with other types of fats, reusing oils several times, or consuming fried snacks high in salt may still be harmfu

www.bmj.com...

Oh there is definatly links in unhealty oils that clog up artieries and what not. I think they're more less saying, you can eat all the fried foods you want, (weight is another issue) without having to worry about having a heart attack so long as you're using the right oils.

I read another article that was very similar to this. It was a doctor from japan I think that said.. "Why would vegitable oil be bad for you? You're just getting extra vegitables when you're cooking in it". Though, I dont know how healthy that stuff is. I love cooking with Olive oil.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Makes sense. People in the South used to eat fried food all the freaking time, and there's old people all over the place around here.

Hell yes we do! And we love our fried foods to no end.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
This article is retarded. It says it depends on the oil. If you go to a restraunt or buy store bought fried food then its going to be soy oil or vegetable oil. You know fat people are going to miss read the article because they get excited.

Fast food isnt healthy, no matter what it's cooked in. That's the fault of the industry and the food. Not just what it's cooked in.

Resturants are pretty much the same. Though, I would think that the more health concerned resturants would keep such things in mind. They want their customers comming back.

Guess it's as easy as asking what oil they cook their foods in, and if their foods are pre-prepared.

Personaly, I cook for myself most of the time. I rather throw something together than read a menu for an hour tryin to figure out what I want. I just go to the store, get what I think I'll be hungry for the next week or so and do it up myself. For those concerned about health, I would think home cooking is the way to go. Never trust a resturant or fast food place when it comes to health. Health starts in YOUR kitchen.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged
i wonder which fast food outlet paid off these scientist's, McDonalds anyone?

Dont think McDs can pay anyone to make the world think their food is safe. lol

We may be nieve, but I dont think we're that retarded yet!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join