It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was in the hospital with my boyfriend today and this comes up:

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
He couldn't breathe well the other night so I drove him to the ER. He was admitted and should be coming home tomorrow (Sunday) but they found something growing in his lungs and apparently he had a minor heart attack and never knew it! He's in high spirits though so.... I'm hopeful things will be fine.

But while I was visiting him today, we got to talking about transplants and blood transfusions and so on, and I had gotten the most sci fi idea ever. I looked at him like D: and said, "What if they did a brain transplant to someone? Would it still be /them/ once they woke? Or would they have other memories, see themselves in the mirror and see a stranger? Their family would be there happy to see em alive - yet to the person, it's not their family and they have no idea what's going on......" I was like, "What if they put a brain of a 50 year old male into a 20 year old female.... good lord that'd be one huge mind bender."

xD The things hospitals prompt folk to talk about. Can you just imagine though? I told him I was going to post here just to see what things my fellow ATS'ers would come up with about this procedure. I'm curious as this can be an amusing and serious topic.

Brain transplants; possible? What would be the outcome upon waking? Would you have the other person's memories? Would it be FAIR to you? More so, would it be fair to the deceased who the drs got the brain from? They'd be you but you'd not be you and yet you'd remember your normal fam who thinks you're dead yet ... you're not... but you're someone else now. O_O

I can totally see a movie coming from this xD

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I would think you would only have the other persons memories...you would not know you...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Since the memory is in the brain , and all your life experinces are just memeory , and neuron connections ,

then yes you would be the same person just different body.

Our reality is what our brains make of it . If you can connect it to another person and make it work , yup it would work

they did it on a monkey and it was alive! but humans more complicated of course

edit on 28-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I assume you mean put someone's brain into your body.

Your mind is what makes you who you are, as-in self.

For your idea to work you would need something to be able to transfer the memory of your brain onto the donor brain or synthetic brain.

edit on 28-1-2012 by Bleeeeep because: mispelled word

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
That would be so messed up if that actually happened. I wonder if in 50 years, 100 years, they'll be doing that but maybe have a way to ''syphon'' your memories and re-plant them into the new brain? I'm at the point where I think anything is possible - we just haven't found the way to DO so yet. It'd be odd though. If they left even a little of the original person in the brain.... conflict of everything could happen.

Seriously, this IS a thread for outlandish 'what if' ideas mixed with possible fact. Anything goes. Grasp at straws, let the imagination soar, find factual vids like the poster above did.
I'm tweaking your minds best I can for something to talk about other than political-religious-anti-pro debates.

Brain transplants it is

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If they learn to transfer memory from the brain on to a synthetic brain/body would you do it or would you feel like it is morally wrong because it would destroy the very essence of what it is to be human?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
bro, i think you should stop day dreaming and worry about your BF who just had a minor heart attack because, he's a fat bastard. so stop feeding him mcdonalds

He's extremely healthy (as in fit; jogs, bike rides for miles, hikes, works out, eats extremely healthy, and he has a father and mother, thanks.) and I just reported your post for abuse, libel, inappropriateness. If you read my post, he's in high spirits obviously.
That was quite rude, but I won't fall for your attempts at trolling. I'll let the mods tend to you.

Have a good day and be sure to keep working on your kind, caring side. It's a good trait to have now a days.
edit on 28-1-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
If they learn to transfer memory from the brain on to a synthetic brain/body would you do it or would you feel like it is morally wrong because it would destroy the very essence of what it is to be human?

I don't think it'd destroy the essence of being human. But it'd have to be of a good reason TO do something like that. Not just to postpone the loss of death in a general sense. I'd say if it were someone who was working on a cure for cancer or something which would benefit mankind fully and they were to die suddenly, maybe moving their memories etc to another so they could carry on would work.

I was more talking about the whole 'what if/how silly' idea of it all rather than digging into the whole 'is it good to do morally or not'. I'm so tired of hearing about morals and right vs wrong on here. I wanted an off the wall odd subject to joke about and discuss. You know. Older person suddenly having the body of a 20 year old or vice versa. Or a man is suddenly female. Etc. xD

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm afraid that if they put my brain in some poor 20 year old girls body she would be such a skank...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Possible? Maybe in a few hundred years on Mice. Everything that makes you "you" (unique) is in your brain. Everything from memories, reactions, the way you walk and talk. So if you put it in a different body nothing would change but your body.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Its not off the wall and silly though. It will be possible one day - unless we kill off mankind first.

I'm kind of on the same page as you though - as far as it not destroying what it is to be human.

I think being human is the program that is our thought process - not our body.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Have all of you been living under a rock or what? There have been DOZENS of movies made about this exact scenario.

What an original and unique thought you had.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I remember the movie Face Off but that was just face transplants, right?

I don't recall any movies about changing brains, unless you're talking of ones back in the 50's during the Incredible Shrinking Woman movie days. They came up with some awesome ideas back then. If you know of any pertaining to this, let me know
I'm always down to see some good old movies about science fiction stuff.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
How about, say, Total Recall for starters?

Big?

The Man with Two Brains?

Come on, there are LOADS of movies where people switch personalities, etc. There was even a Gilligan's Island episode.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

Would it though? I really don't associate my physical body with my essential nature, and I don't think that the important part of "what it is to be human" is in the biological details.

I know that ultimately the mind is completely reducible to the biology of the brain, but I think people are far more concerned with the mental aspects of that system than with biological aspects (despite those two things actually being the same thing). Certainly your human nature isn't strictly bound to your human body. Our bodies change all the time and in very dramatic ways over the course of our lives, but we're not all faced with constant identity crises because of this. We don't lose a part of our selves when we cut our hair; amputees aren't less human because they have less of a human body; 98% of the atoms in our bodies are replaced yearly, yet we're not only still the same human person in the important ways, we're not even aware of this process is taking place. I would say that means that the extent to which human nature or identity are determined in an important way by the individual physical pieces that make up our bodies is so minimal that any moral argument in that regard has no basis.

The technology will allow us to transplant human brains in - I would guess - 30 years or so. The person, their sense of self, their memories, their personality, and their intelligence are all in the brain. Moving it to another body isn't that much different than changing the original body - neither case presents a particularly compelling challenge philosophically or morally. You would be you, just in a different body. You are your brain, your body is your vehicle. Your brain is the driver. I don't think there are moral or philosophical issues surrounding drivers changing vehicles.

If a synthetic body was available, I would take it if something went wrong with my body. Likewise, if a superior synthetic brain could be developed using a map of my brain's connections so as to preserve all cognitive features, I would make the switch. Living as a person in a non-human body with a non-human brain wouldn't threaten my essential nature or self. I may not be a human under these circumstances, but I would still be a person. At that point though, I don't think we would have a moral obligation to humanness. We're people, and if we can be better people if we live in non-human bodies, we should do it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Speaking of the biological aspect, I assume a lot of what we are in mind is caused by the thought process on chemicals. Meaning all those chemical reactions causing emotions will also need to be programmed into the thought process. To retain what we are in mind we will need some aspects of the body (such as the chemicals of emotions).

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I was more talking about the whole 'what if/how silly' idea of it all rather than digging into the whole 'is it good to do morally or not'. I'm so tired of hearing about morals and right vs wrong on here. I wanted an off the wall odd subject to joke about and discuss. You know. Older person suddenly having the body of a 20 year old or vice versa. Or a man is suddenly female. Etc. xD

This issue has been the subject of countless books, movies, and tv shows. Here is a list of hundreds:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

This is what will happen!

(advanced warning of cartoon nudity)....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
In addition to that list, the TV series Doll House revolves around the ability to download someones memories, and basically mix and match various personality traits and learned skills into a new persona.

The also short lived TV series Caprica (prequel to BattleStar Galactica) talked about a search engine for the mind that would essentially download your experiences.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join