It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Stream - Oakland - Tear Gas - Flash Bangs - Rubber bullets

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable

Originally posted by Exemplar

Oakland is a very ghetto, violent. nasty, dirty place. Basically California's dumpster. Perfect for OWS crowd.

Yeah, it's funny how rich upper-class places never protest. I wonder why that is....

Cause they actually work, they aren't out rioting while demanding $20/hr to flip burgers.
edit on 29-1-2012 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

So you are of the opinion that the entire movement is unemployed? I'm going to have to ask for your source on that one. How do you know what fee they request when applying for jobs? (Which totally invalidates your point of them not working, btw) Must an American citizen have a job in order for their voice to count? I would wager that you would change your attitude very quickly if you had to scrape by on minimum wage, which is what...~$7/hour?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

For the internet, here’s a first-hand account of Occupy Oakland on 1/28/2012, because the news never tells the full story. I’ll tell you about the street battle, the 300+ arrests, the vandalism, the flag burning, all in the context of my experience today. This is deeper than the headlines. No major news source can do that for you, but Reddit can. The stated goal for the day was to “move-in” to a large, abandoned, building to turn it into a social and political center. It is a long vacant convention center - the only people ever near there are the homeless who use the space outside the building as a bed. The building occupation also draws attention to the large number of abandoned and unused buildings in Oakland. The day started with a rally and a march to the proposed building. The police knew which building was the target, surrounded it, and used highly mobile units to try and divert the protest. After avoiding police lines, the group made it to one side of the building. Now, this is a very large building, and we were on a road with construction fences on both sides, and a large ditch separating us from the cops. The police fired smoke grenades into the crowd as the group neared a small path around the ditch, towards the building. They declared an unlawful assembly, and this is when the crowd broke down the construction fence. A few people broke fences to escape the situation, others because they were pissed. A couple more fences were taken down then necessary, but no valuable equipment was destroyed. They only things broken were fences.

whiskeyanddynamite.tumblr.com...

People need to get informed about this.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

If you want I can post video after video of occupy people telling the camera they have no idea why they are there?

Also, if the guy running the live stream wants to make his reporting credible, rule of thumb would be not to pick the felon out of the crowd for the interview.
edit on 28-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Ok, and how many videos can you find where a person is interviewed who gives a succinct message about why he or she is there protesting? It seems to me, the journalists are the ones who keep saying they don't have a coherent message and naturally Bill O'Reilly and that Stossel Guy are going to air only the looniest or airheaded of comments. How many other comments do you think they get but never air.

Your whole view of the movement has been successfully framed by the media. I mentioned Fox above, but in reality, I've heard comments about the movement's lack of a coherent message or real goal/set of objectives parroted over and over and over again by people on the TV, but neither you, nor I, nor the people on the TV are actually there.

On a side note, I'm sick of scenesters and hippy-in-name-only types who go after the whole alternative scene and pseudo-activism wherever they find it, but will still go to Starbucks and Walmart with absolutely no qualms or inkling of hypocrisy at the end of the day. You're going to find these wishy-washy types at any event that even has an air of alternativeness to it, in just the same way you will find people who support Republicans because one day they might just become wealthy...one day....but til then they'll support what sounds good even to their detriment; even when they hold fast to their medicare or want better pay, benefits, etc. It's all the same. Image is more important than substance to a certain percentage of the population, hence:

-your videos of "protesters" who don't know anything about why they are protesting.

and

-Tea Partiers who hold signs that say "keep your government hands off my medicare" etc.

You can't expect a group of more than 1 person to get together and not have differing ideas as to what a solution would or should look like, only a concerted effort towards a synthesis. We'll see what that will be as things progress.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Way to go Protesters!!!!!!.
Down with the Corruption, Down with the Fascist Oligarch Criminals running this country!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exemplar

Oakland is a very ghetto, violent. nasty, dirty place. Basically California's dumpster. Perfect for OWS crowd.

Yeah, it's funny how rich upper-class places never protest. I wonder why that is....

Because they are the ones that own the government, what is there to protest when you have a "leftist" like Obama bailing out the Banks and Mega Corporations.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The war drums are getting louder... Today is a bit frightening for me I don't like where this is headed and I think I'm going to dig a hole in my backyard and stick my head in it and hope I don't get dragged into a FEMA camp for being opinionated. We should be marching to DC not on random streets burning flags, I know Occupy doesn't have a leader but it is very apparent that they need one who is clear-minded and can do things the right way and not the "ruin-property-because-I'm-frustrated-with-society" way.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
almost makes me miss our old school dart wars.

okay aye do.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I was a part of Occupy LA when I was visiting Cali for two weeks in October.

There were organizers and people constantly preaching, holding classes in the daytime, educating people not "knowing" why they were there.

For the idiots spouting off about some youtube videos posted interviewing "clueless" protesters, I hope you know you are the real ignorant ones, believing everything you hear on the internet and tv

That one night we had no intention of going to the protests, we actually had no idea there were other occupy movements going on at that time other than in NYC. (we were vacationing)

But just upon exploring Hollywood and LA at 1am in the morning, we took the subway and stumbled upon the protests at City Hall. We also learned quite a bit and quickly jumped on board and spent many nights there as well as slept over. It was quite an enlightening peaceful experience.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Challenge Accepted. I'll just leave these here for you, Sphota.

edit on 31-1-2012 by Vizzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by psyop911
reply to post by Vizzle

awesome. the first of may (the intergalactic protest) is approaching. it is time for PR.
to sensitize the overwhelmingly poor and dumbed down herd of sheeple.

"become your own media"?
nice idea.
and that's about it.

OHAI, You must be new here. I have a Fun Fact for you. Did you know, that because of the UStream archive footage of people live streaming with their phnoes, we have had charges dropped on over 100 protesters over the past 4 months, and this does not include the events of Jan. 28. Because of citizen journalism, and things like the UStream App for smart phones, many people who have been arrested on trumped up charges have been let go.

Citizen Journalism and being your own media FTW.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join