It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coca Cola Conspiracy: The secret cause for the U.S. obesity epidemic

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

Thanks for posting about the book "Wheat Belly." I read it too--and it's important information for people to realize that wheat is so modified that it is really not good for us to eat.

I am a celiac (went undiagnosed for most of my life--a long, long story that cost me thousands and gave me permanent neurological damage) and once I stoppped eating gluten and wheat, I started to heal. What I've learned about wheat since then isn't pretty.

It's ridiculously hard to stop eating---since it is in everything: canned soups, ice cream, sauces, natural flavorings..etc. You really have to read labels and know which companies label their products with allergens.

Good luck on your gluten-free quest! I bet you feel better already.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by technologicalsingularity

you slag''common folk'' as you call them,90 percent of us are common as you call it.you also say your job is to watch people,what you need to watch is your tongue or you typing fingers or someone common might cut them off if you speak to them like your self righteous post.
edit on 29/1/2012 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The cause of obesity is gluttony.

The seven deadly sins are celebrated in the US like nowhere else.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
reply to post by RMFX1

it is not a conspiracy, but a fact. i assume you are drinking diet coke?
look at the research.
also, for these type of chemicals they take decades to show their harm. so don't worry, wait another 10, 20 years and you will get there, my friend.

Can't wait. Infact, I'm drinking a coke lite right now.

And for the record, it's entirely possible that in 10 or 20 years I'll be in a pretty bad way but it won't be the coca cola. If it happens it will be down to the disease, not my choice of soft drink.
edit on 29-1-2012 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
i dont get it ... fructose = fruit sugar.

is this dude saying we shouldnt eat fruit ?? wtf!

i call bullcrap, people ALWAYS and i mean ALWAYSSS try and blame something else for their problems, esspecialy if they can blame an inanimate object that cant fight its own casde ... the below said it best.

Originally posted by theubermensch
The cause of obesity is gluttony.

The seven deadly sins are celebrated in the US like nowhere else.

fat people are fat because most time they eat to much, in some cases its purely medical but even in most of the medical cases they wouldnt have got so fat if they changed there diet when they started having to buy bigger clothes!
edit on 29-1-2012 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Alright, i'm posting just for a bit of perspective. I'm 21, I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and my diet is, to put it bluntly - atrocious. I'll have about 8 shots of coffee a day, I eat 1 meal per day and that meal is usually quick, take-away food (mcdonalds etc) then I get the munchies and fly through a few bags of chips, lollies and various other snack foods. I'm 185cm and weigh 65kg. I also buy a 30pk of coke cans every 4 or so days. 65kg come at me

Well, when I was 21, I stopped a bar full of people on a Friday night when I came down the stairs in my little black dress. There happened to be a comedian that night and I got his full-on attention. I was what you guys call HOT. Yes, those were the days.

I smoked over a pack a day, partied when ever I could, ate fast food most all the time and rarely slept. I lived on coffee and soda.

Youth is grand....but it doesn't last forever. By the time you're 30, your metabolism will slow and if you keep up your habits, they will catch up with you. Had I continued the same way, I probably would be dead.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I'm in the medical, weight loss business and I can tell you that people drop weight at a alarming rate when they remove sugar and carbohydrates. It's that simple. We can get people's weight loss up to 1 pound per day (safely and naturally) by getting back-to-basics with diet.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

Can't wait. Infact, I'm drinking a coke lite right now.

I was on a Diet Mt. Dew kick for a while. I still love the stuff...until I experienced some of the most excruciating pain I have ever felt in my life--worse than childbirth. I had kidney stones. And the doc said unless I wanted to go through that again, I needed to stop with the diet soda.

Everyone's different but I've always been relatively healthy in that I don't get ill much at all, so that was a big blow to my "it won't happen to me" attitude.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

i dont get it ... fructose = fruit sugar. is this dude saying we shouldn't eat fruit ??

Sugar is sugar but the fructose in a piece of unprocessed whole fruit is going to be much better for you than high fructose corn syrup, obviously. Your body metabolizes it differently and the energy you get from natural fructose is spread out over more time rather than just a quick "sugar rush" you'd get from eating or drinking a processed item with corn syrup in it.

And yes, you want to moderate your intake of fruit as some are very high in carbohydrates, like bananas.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiouswa
I'm in the medical, weight loss business and I can tell you that people drop weight at a alarming rate when they remove sugar and carbohydrates. It's that simple. We can get people's weight loss up to 1 pound per day (safely and naturally) by getting back-to-basics with diet.

But you should actually eat some carbohydrate for energy purposes. It's balance which is the key. The only 'conspiracy' about Coke is people drinking far too much of it, stuffing themselves with junk food and not having a proper diet.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
do not drink any sodas!

only one small bottle of soda will get you almost 30% of you daily sugar needs!

and how about a half liter?

soda is poison, too much energy and if you're doing nothing the result is: FAT

at one time I found myself drinking few cans of coke a day so I become fat.

I stopped and shaped myself in 2 months with lots of skim milk, proteins and everyday gym.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
OP, I know this vid has been posted here before but if it were posted on a daily basis, it still wouldn't be enough!
Good stuff.

reply to post by glen200376

In the words of Sgt. Hulka,...
"Lighten up Frances!"
The person was simply saying, watch what the fat folk do and do the opposite.
Let's not lose our heads...err fingers.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Just another scapegoat - a campaign designed to distract, deflect, and support industry's blame-the-victims defense strategy when contaminants make people sick: "bad diet, irresponsible lifestyle and/or genetics." Coke is bad, no doubt, but so are many other things in our world. Look at endocrine disruptors called obesogens.

Obesogens are foreign chemical compounds that disrupt normal development and balance of lipid metabolism, which in some cases, can lead to obesity.[1][2][3] Obesogens may be functionally defined as chemicals that inappropriately alter lipid homeostasis and fat storage, change metabolic setpoints, disrupt energy balance or modify the regulation of appetite and satiety to promote fat accumulation and obesity.[4]

There are many different proposed mechanisms through which obesogens can interfere with the body's adipose tissue biology. These mechanisms include alterations in the action of metabolic sensors; dysregulation of sex steroid synthesis, action or breakdown; changes in the central integration of energy balance including the regulation of appetite and satiety; and reprogramming of metabolic setpoints.[5][6] Some of these proposed pathways include inappropriate modulation of nuclear receptor function which therefore allows the compounds to be classified as endocrine disrupting chemicals that act to mimic hormones in the body, altering the normal homeostasis maintained by the endocrine system .[7]

Obesogens have been detected in the body both as a result of intentional administration of obesogenic chemicals in the form of pharmaceutical drugs such as diethylstilbestrol, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and thiazolidinedione and as a result of unintentional exposure to environmental obesogens such as tributyltin, bisphenol A, diethylhexylphthalate, and perfluorooctanoate.[5][6] Emerging evidence from laboratories around the world suggests that other chemicals will be confirmed as falling under this proposed classification in the near future, and that there may be some serious biological effects due to exposure to these chemicals that still remain undiscovered.[5][6]

FYI - there are LOTS of endocrine disruptors in our food, air and water - many of them cause obesity, but they do other damage too.

Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that interfere with endocrine (or hormone system) in animals, including humans. These disruptions can cause cancerous tumors, birth defects, and other developmental disorders. Specifically, they are known to cause learning disabilities, severe attention deficit disorder, cognitive and brain development problems, deformations of the body (including limbs); sexual development problems, feminizing of males or masculine effects on females, etc. Any system in the body controlled by hormones, can be derailed by hormone disruptors.

Endocrine disruptors are substances that "interfere with the synthesis, secretion, transport, binding, action, or elimination of natural hormones in the body that are responsible for development, behavior, fertility, and maintenance of homeostasis (normal cell metabolism)."[1] They are sometimes also referred to as hormonally active agents,[2] endocrine disrupting chemicals,[3] or endocrine disrupting compounds (EDCs).[4]

For more government approved information on the endocrine system and endocrine disruptors, check out the Endocrine Primer.

Exposure to endocrine disruptors can occur through direct contact with pesticides and other chemicals or through ingestion of contaminated water, food, or air. Chemicals suspected of acting as endocrine disruptors are found in insecticides, herbicides, fumigants and fungicides that are used in agriculture as well as in the home. Industrial workers can be exposed to chemicals such as detergents, resins, and plasticizers with endocrine disrupting properties. Endocrine disruptors enter the air or water as a byproduct of many chemical and manufacturing processes and when plastics and other materials are burned. Further, studies have found that endocrine disruptors can leach out of plastics, including the type of plastic used to make hospital intravenous bags. Many endocrine disruptors are persistent in the environment and accumulate in fat, so the greatest exposures come from eating fatty foods and fish from contaminated water.
7. Are children at greater risk from endocrine disruptor exposure?

Yes. Because endocrine disruptors affect the development of the body's vital organs and hormonal systems, infants, children and developing fetuses are more vulnerable to exposure. ...

edit on 29/1/12 by soficrow because: add link

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

There is a lot of great information in this video and the host is obviously very knowledgeable and a good speaker.
He comes across as arrogant once or twice but that may just be a trait of a good public speaker. His speech is interesting enough that that your keep watching and I enjoyed the topical education.

Unfortunately he is pro-tax to reduce consumption and classes cannabis as an addictive substance.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

Yes, fructose is fruit sugar.
But we are talking about High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Two totally different animals.
I will assume you did not watch the video as you cite just fructose.
Yes it is a long video but it is worth the time.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I discovered the truth about high fructose corn syrup back a while ag and was starting to gather research to do a thread just like this. You have done a wonderful presentation here and what your post says is the truth. A richly deserved star and flag for you. Thanks for posting this. Here are some links that I collected.

Princton reasearch

WIKI

well sphere

another health site

NPR healthblog

These are a few of the links I was putting together for the thread I was going to do. My contribution to your well done thread. Thanks for the great work.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You state the video has gone viral. A lot of people come on here and throw that line in as if it is some sort of endorsement. The video has almost 19,000views. I would consider a viral video to be one that has at at least clocked up 1million. When you consider popular music tracks clock up 50million now. 20thousand views is hardly a drop in the ocean.

I do not live in the US. I have visited.The video is interesting however I would not concider coke the secret cause of the obesity crisis in the US. I dont think it is any secret what the cause of obesity is in the US.

Portion size is the cause of obesity in the US.

It also doesn't help when you seem to insist on putting a mountain of melted cheese on everything. I had to stop eating soup in the US becuase no matter where you ordered it there was a block of melted cheese sitting on top. That is absolute insanity. Also adding a jar of mayo to a dish does not make it a salad.

Rather than watching videos that make up excuses why you are so fat, you would be better watching what happens cheese in your body or educating yourself about food.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsMyName

You didn't even include the fact that Diet soda is more likely to cause obesity than actual soda.

My boyfriend's mom actually had to quit diet soda because her doctor pointed out that the chemicals in it were corroding her throat. Either go throwback or go home.
edit on 1/7/12 by Avalessa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
American people this is not a goddam salad;

yea that kinda eating is not making her overweight, its the coke?

you won't believe what i just found in todays newspaper, hmmm yumm www.thesun.co.uk...

'make it and they will eat it'

edit on 29-1-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

If you saw the crap they served at my school that they passed as "healthy", you would see why Michigan is so fat. Our salad bar includes: lettuce and normal vegetables, 2 or 3 different dressings, croutons, pickles, cheese, and we used to have bacon bits. I personally hate salads of almost every kind so I stick to my Cheerios, fruits, and veggies.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join