It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much money is the GOP spending on forum posts to sway public opinion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Generally known as propaganda I'm curious just how much money are the Republicans and or other right wing groups spending on internet chat and forum posts attempting to sway popular opinion?

I have attempted to find out the answer or a story around this issue, but have been unsuccessful so far.

My reasoning is based on public polls that show unfavorable opinions concerning the tea party and for republicans in general, yet in the last few years, forums and chats seem to be over whelmed by the right wing posters.

Is there a conspiracy here? Are the polls skewed or is big money right wing activist groups paying people to post opinions.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

After the past decade, if forum posts can make an American vote for an insane mormon or an idiot that wants to put colonies on the moon - I'm sorry but their country is badly in need of a good nuclear cleansing.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well i can only speak for myself....

The GOP is paying me 1/10 of 1cent for every post I make in this forum, but the Ron Paul campaign is really filling my coffers

ps...this is satire, I am in no way funded by the GOP and they have not approved this message

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Frankly, I'm still waiting to see something more than assumptions and theories as to the fact paid trolling of political sites actually happens at all.

Oh I know staffers work the internet, but that isn't the same. They're working for a campaign or PAC and the net is just a part of their overall jobs. If you're suggesting people directly paid just to inject content on the net for effect, I've yet to see a legitimate and verified place that hires or pays people to do this.

Anyone have a specific and verified example of it? It seems like another Urban Legend as much as anything. Heck. I'd be happy to actually make money for what I do as a hobby and academic practice anyway.

edit on 28-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If you do find out, U2U me.

I could use the money!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Speaking up, once again, for the congenitally confused. Why ask just about the Right? I thought every news outlet has tons of stories on how the Obama administration is the most "tech-savvy" ever. Michelle has a twitter account, they've run "contribute for a chance for dinner" fundraisers. Remember the website where you were supposed to turn in people who were criticizing the administration? If there's a tech story to be had it's how the Right is desperately trying to catch up.

No, it's not "big money right wing activist groups." Think of it this way: you get, I don't know, $50, $100 a day for posting? What would you make by wearing a mike and camera and working with MSNBC to get the story?

My own thoughts are that the polls are biased. I think they oversample "progressives." Further, where does the Right have to go to complain about Obama? And they are fired up and want to complain about him. That would explain the Right's presence in the last few years. Is it coincidence that that happened when Obama was elected?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

S&F my friend!

This is something I've suspected for YEARS!

Ever since the Reagan administration did away with the "Fairness Doctrine", And what actually used to be a news media, became the circus it is today....

Strictly for entertainment purposes...

Just ask Rush Limbaugh, or Glen Beck! They consider themselves "Entertainers"

I can still remember the days, Watching the 6 o'clock news, When that's ALL you got.... Was NEWS!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

If you do find out, U2U me.

I could use the money!

Yea, riiiight. Speaking of GOP paid shills...

...speak of the devil.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
We get 50 cent per post.

We run on imac only.

We can post with up to 20 different
sock puppet account with a secure VPN
setting.

When our percentages go up, polls are out
we swayed enough opinions then we get a bonus.

We have about 60 people per station and over 1000 accounts.
The Ron Paul branch is off the charts. We even rig online polls
especially screwing with Bill O'rielly.

Please vote Romney or Paul they are the only ones
who can save this country!!
~GOP poster informant public persuasiveness unit. (PIPPU) for short

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Just like the super wealthy fund the idiot right-winger talking heads on the air-waves via the radio, the same is in order on the internet via posters on forums.

They have no substance and only have the interest of the super wealthy at heart. So obviously they will need some assistance in swaying the ignorant, weak-minded folks. And they do so with all certainty.

The right-wing establishment has other aces-up-their-sleeves as well. They love to use religion as another tactic as well as promising lower taxes ("read my lips, no new taxes" -- good ol lie from Republican Bush, failure for our country #1)
and less government. But these are PURE LIES as these devils have no morals and are total hypocrites (hmmm that actually DOES sound like religious people... maybe they are actually religious, hmmm thats a thinker. Bad nonetheless though) and the lower taxes, well, that is for the super wealthy only, and they actually increase government.

So they have to sway people and the super wealthy do this by throwing lots of money into propaganda as they certainly LOVE the republicans as republicans are SELL-OUTS to the almighty dollar more than any bunch of clowns out there.

WHO in their right mind thinks that the Republicans have your best interests at heart??

The Peoples interests are NOT INCLUDED. Unless you have the funds to buy the republicans out...
edit on 28-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by IrVulture

I can still remember the days, Watching the 6 o'clock news, When that's ALL you got.... Was NEWS!

And it was only 15 minutes.

bot I'd say that the reps spend 33% of what the libs spend on propaganda.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Let's see

Since most people can only name 1 news station and 1 talk radio host Fox News/Rush can't think of any right wing webiste's i am sure the right wing haters can tho.

Then list all the left wing

NBC,CBS,MSNBC,ABC,CNN,CURRENTV then move on to the likes of the Huffington Post,Real Clear Politics, and then the educational system of American from kindergarten to high school to universtiies then of course we have hollywood and then back to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter,

So the answer is simple The right doesn't spend as much as the left and then we can talk about tax payer subsidies of left wing propaganda such as NPR radio.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
don't vote for any of the arse holes,vote for an independent. is it to late for the donald

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I suppose, if you can call opposition to the Marxist coup takeover of govt a coincidence. I call it suddenly getting mad enough.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Not much. I've talked to people who have coordinated political campaigns about this subject, just from curiosity as an ATS poster. Generally forum posting is aimed at local news sites to comment on debates and local speeches. Nationally it's highly impractical to sway voter opinions on say CNN.com story's because the feeds move so fast. On ATS political ideas are always focused against the incumbent.. when Bush was in office ATS was a "hyper Liberal" website. When Obama was in office ATS was a "hyper Conservative" website. trying to sway the public opinion in places where the opinion is made up is pointless. And for the forums they do troll (and they do, especially in local elections) they pay minimum wage. Usually it's the same people phone banking at the same time.

I don't know about outside political groups, the ones I've worked with didn't bother with online forums; TV is a much broader market and far more effective. There has been factual evidence of outside sources monitoring and posting on ATS .. I know for a fact that there are a few people from the Southern Poverty Law Center, and there's been evidence from a few left and right wing groups. The most obvious group is whenever China has something big going on ATS is flooded with pro-China posters .. like the Olympics man, say anything bad about China and the Chinese were all over you. Olympics ended and they disappeared.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
the funding is unlimited, the federal reserve finances everything behind closed doors

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Dear ThirdEyeofHorus,

I really don't want there to be any confusion between us.

In my post I was intending to say that it was not a coincidence that the Right started appearing after Obama's election. I snuck in a question mark at the end of my sentence to make it sound like "You don't think it was a coincidence, do you?"

Not only did the Right object by increasing their Net appearances, the Tea Party was a similar protest for those who liked that type of protest.

Obama has been a very polarizing President, dividing rather than uniting the country. I don't think people have to be paid to post against his policies and re-election.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Personally these media groups you have mentioned are mainly owned by defense contractors, so war is great for there bottom line, but this thread isn't about media. Its about internet chat and forum posts being bought and paid for by political parties and political groups. I mentioned the right wing, but the poster that responded about ATS being anti current president makes sense to me, I never thought of it that way.

top topics

join