It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sin Fein claim Office bugged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Looks like MI5 and the Northern Irish Security forces have been up to their old tricks again.

SINN FEIN OFFICE 'BUGGED'

A bugging device has been found at Sinn Fein's offices in west Belfast, the party has claimed

Looks like we ( the UK ) are still keeping an eye on the old enemy. There may be peace in Northern Ireland but it seems MI5 still likes to keep an eye on Old Gerry Adams.
Then again perhaps its another Republican ploy to bring Whitehall into disrepute

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Looks like MI5 and the Northern Irish Security forces have been up to their old tricks again.

Don't you think they should? These are the very same people there were fighting against them not so long ago. At least give it a decade of peace before they should be expected to stop spying.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaking, Sinn Fein is a political party.

Last time I heard about wiretapping of a political party, turned out to be the demise of Nixon as US president and one of the biggest scandals in recent history.

Wiretap known IRA members all you want, but wiretapping offices of a political party is a big nono.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
If I'm not mistaking, Sinn Fein is a political party.

they are the political wing of a terrorist organization that has murderred civilians and ever trained international terrorists groups like the PLO. Now, the ira is technically in a truce of sorts, but this is new and shaky. Monitoring them, especially when you consider that its an Irish poltical party, not a British one, is emminently practical and sensible.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yeah so's the UDA , the UVF etc. You don't see them bugged very often.....

All I'll say is this ain't going to help the peace process very much.

EDIT: The UDA and UVF aren't political parties, Sinn Fein is. They are terrorist organisations, but they�re on the British side so they�re not subject to as much 'scrutiny'. I'm really not going to get into this argument though...

[edit on 14-9-2004 by kegs]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Don't you think they should? These are the very same people there were fighting against them not so long ago. At least give it a decade of peace before they should be expected to stop spying.

Im not sure if we should or not to be honest, the IRA has been quiet for a while now. But they are still a force to be reckoned with as far as Terrorism goes. And as members of Sinn Fein have been poven to have been active in the IRA itself before going into Sinn Fein then it would be foolish not to keep one eye on them.
Martin McGuiness for instance is roumered to have sat on the IRA's General Council. Even though the IRA is not at the moment active they probably could go back to blowing up targets in mainland Britain at a moments notice.
As for the UDA, UVF etc its well known that they have been tools for MI5 in the past and im sure that they will keep close contacts with them. They are also prob bugged as well, perhaps they just arnt as good at finding them.

As for Sinn Fein i thing the old saying is relevant "Keep your freinds close but keep your Enemies closer"

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
maybe I am missing something here, isn't Sinn Fein an Irish poltical party? I mean, its a foreign country no? Not exactly the same as spying on a political party with-in Britain itself right?

As for Sinn Fein i thing the old saying is relevant "Keep your freinds close but keep your Enemies closer"

You just love latin stuff dontchya? Why'd you leave out the 'Q' part of SPQR in your profile on the left?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
maybe I am missing something here, isn't Sinn Fein an Irish poltical party? I mean, its a foreign country no? Not exactly the same as spying on a political party with-in Britain itself right?

You just love latin stuff dontchya? Why'd you leave out the 'Q' part of SPQR in your profile on the left?

I didnt leave the Q out look --------> Senatus PopulusQue Romanus
For those who dont know it stands for "For the Senate and People of Rome" I just like Roman History, plenty of it about in the UK.
SPQR was always displayed on the Eagles of the Roman Legions.

And yes Sinn Fein is an Irish Party active in British Politics, nothing wrong with that as they were elected in Northern Ireland.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Janus]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

didnt leave the Q out

doh!

And yes Sinn Fein is an Irish Party active in British Politics, nothing wrong with that as they were elected in Northern Ireland.

Ah ok, I had thought that they were only in Ireland proper (so to speak).

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
They do have a party in the South or the Republic of Ireland but their main area of influence is in Northern Ireland. As Northern Ireland is still part of the UK then they can sit athe Houses of Parliment if elected as MP's

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Janus]

top topics

join