It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sno-Trains..A short History..(with short video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I just found another video to share here...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I love this thread..

wish it got more views..

cool stuff here...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
many thanks for this thread,
makes a change from the usual doom threads !! more like the good ol days of ATS.

great info and great photos .

Thanks !!

snoopyuk

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

you're welcome..

glad you liked it!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

C'mon people...

this thread needs more love.....

thanks!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Totally sweet - isn't it awesome how going to a monster truck show leads one to learn more about something buried in the past - I for one would love to see a snotrain compete with the monster trucks themselves. Those things would do some serious damage! Thanks for the cool thread!

PS - I checked it out via the thread about people bitching on ATS who don't make threads - I have so many threads I thought were interesting but got half the looks this one did!

CJ
edit on 17-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Thanks ColoradoJens...

second line..

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have always wondered why more people didn't like this thread I made..

I thought it was pretty cool.....

true story too....

Hmmmm......

not looking for stars or flags..

just responses....

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: baddmove
I clicked the link in your signature and it brought me here. I'm glad I did. Those are so cool! Too bad it didn't catch on. Seeing the one in the last pic rusting made me a little sad.

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thanks, I'm glad you stopped by.

One day I would like to try and restore (most) one..

posted on Jan, 23 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
That would be neat. I'm not sure where you would drive it but it would be very cool. I saw in the OP that they even had a galley for cooking. I didn't see if they had a restroom or not. Did they?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I am happy I saw your link, awesome snow trains! Thank you.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

This thing is amazing!!!

Reminds me strongly of the lost history of pneumatic trains and etc...

Many things like this show immense potential to really revolutionize modern technology and infrastructure by combining the old with new enabling technology.

Here's a fun compressed air lost technology. Well before the steam engine deep earth mines existed, but how did they power their pumps and ventilation? I'll tell you how, they would sink a shaft near the mineshaft that was close to a lower elevation piece of ground. This shaft had a dome shaped chamber between this vertical shaft and the horizontal shaft leading to the low elevation area. Now that vertical shaft had a constriction point near the bottom where it halves in diameter. When falling water from a diverted stream hit the narrow point it would physically trap air in the water. When this water passed through the domed area of the horizontal shaft the air was released now pressurized and trapped in the dome! A series of pipes sent this high pressure air where it was needed both in the mine and above ground. In the era of the locomotive it was even used to fill the tanks of pneumatic trains that moved ore etc.

To me this is very very cool and casts a shadow of illegitimacy on various groups who just so happen to have been deeply involved in dismantling american street car systems, and other colorfully nefarious acts from the 20th century to today.

Threads like this highlight just how capable our ancestors were and regenerates a hope in us that the status quo isn't as good as it gets... After all if they could do all that in 1960, imagine what a modern version would be capable of!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Bump for christmas!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join