It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Son's School Counselor Quoted Him Scripture

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
My girlfriends son's class was asked to name their hero and then she wrote it on the board. When my son's friend said "Jesus" the teacher wouldn't write it on the board - no explanation.

Some times this all get a little too extreme for me.

Actually, there is wisdom in the Bible and common sayings come from it with out people knowing.

Why the counselor did what he did certainly can be questioned by you and should if it bothers you.

Is there anything wrong with being Jewish? Sounds like the teacher took it to be a slur.

My kids never told me about the times they got in trouble. I usually found out through the principal.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I think the counselor quoted an inspirational quote that he felt would be appropriate to the situation.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It's not like he asked him to convert to Christianity.

And in all fairness.... your son brought up religion first when he said the guy looked Jewish... which is probably why he got the response that he did.

Just my opinion.

[color=mediumorchid]Edited to add: I think that one of the biggest problems with society these days is that everyone is too easily offended. No one can say anything without someone taking offense. I think people need to calm down.... it's ridiculous.

edit on 28-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

I think this fits very well, especially without knowing the exact quote. Not every word in the bible says "God" or "Jesus".

As a matter of fact, there is a very sizable book or 2 in the bible that is fashioned in poems (songs of solomon), and one that sounds like phrases that you would hear from confusious. Much of it is historical as well. It's not all "religion", so to speak.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The boy blurted out a stereotypical remark, not a religious observation. Political correctness of the day hasn't necessarily caught up with culture. When I was a kid "Jewish" meant inhabitants of Israel as well a those of Jewish faith. Now, we call them Israelis.

He could have just as easily remarked "Hey, that guy has a "jewfro" or "that guy has an African American nose." It seems to me the teacher over reacted, and was overwhelmed with an attack of political correctness. The teacher could have easily diffused the situation by simply stopping and addressing the remark, and pointing out physical traits are not religious qualities.

Something like, "Well Bobby, what does "Jewish" look like? Do you think all Jewish people have big noses? Did you know that Ringo Starr has a big nose and isn't Jewish but Lebanese?"

I think that the teacher missed an opportunity to both use the comment as a teaching exercise and to diffuse the situation. Instead, to much importance was placed on the remark and the situation unnecessarily escalated into a religious debate.
edit on 28-1-2012 by windword because: ocd

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

But see, this wasn't in a class. It was friendly advice.

Not education. FRIENDLY ADVICE.

Are you going to control whether kids can discuss religion at playgrounds now?

It was a Public School. That means its government.

That means NO religion.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Annee

But let me guess...you wouldn't mind a random quote from a book on Buddha being mentioned in class? That's education based on religious texts as well.

Thus, your problem is simply with religion. Don't force your atheism on growing children.

We are a secular government. Separation of church and state. That means no religion in Public School.

Where did I say Buddhism was OK? I didn't

I said there are many quotes from historical figures.

Don't force Atheism on children? You really just said that?

Ok to force bible verses on children - - - - but don't force Atheism? How exactly do you force Atheism - - by not using bible verses?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow, this has gotten quite heated since I last checked it lol! It wasn't my intention to start a religious or political debate. However, when posting, I knew full well what site I was posting to, so....

I appreciate all the points of view being expressed and have read every reply! Thank you all for contributing (not to mention my son is fairly psyched to be a "topic" on Mom's favorite site haha) and giving me food for thought given it's now the weekend so I have time to chew on it!

Now back to the conversation he had with the Counselor. My son said that the Counselor quoted to him the chapeter and verse he used, specifying that it was from the Bible! That is the main issue. He could just as easily have used the quote and never mentioned his source in so far as using it as he felt it applied to the situation, but he did not!! As far as one member's post said that this was a friendly conversation, not a classroom, I fail to see how that applies as the School's Guidance Counselor is employeed by the state to work in their public school with a melting pot of children!!

The second main point is how the teacher reacted to my son's statement. I agree with another poster in that the teacher missed a FANTASTIC opportunity to "teach" the children in the class, as well as my son about intolerance!!

Again, thanks all!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
P.s. not that I don't teach my children about intolerance and am relying on the education system to "raise" them for me! I'm simply saying I can't be there all the time and I expect teachers who my tax dollars pay to be able to carpe diem so to speak! Seize every opportunity to do your job to the very best of your ability, while keeping in mind certain "restrictions" you may have in doing so!
edit on 28-1-2012 by IrishCream because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

I really wouldn't make a huge deal of something that happens only once. BUT - - IMO - the principle should be informed in case there have been other complaints or as a record in case in continues and there are more complaints in the future.

And I always suggest - - get something in writing - - dated and signed.

So I definitely suggest it should be brought to the principles attention - - - exactly as you describe it.

------------------------------------------------------------

As I was in grade school in the 50s - - when Christians dominated America without much opposition - - I personally witnessed Jewish kids forced to participate in Christmas Pageant - - etc.

----------------------------------------------------------

Your son could have been Atheist - - and this counselor was reading scripture from the bible. This counselor forced his belief on your son.

It is not benign and it is not OK.

edit on 28-1-2012 by Annee because: spelling

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Your son could have been Atheist - - and this counselor was reading scripture from the bible. This counselor forced his belief on your son.

As you are casting yours on us? C'mon. Pick you battles, this one isn't one. It WAS benign. I'm agnostic and can see that.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

As you are casting yours on us? C'mon. Pick you battles, this one isn't one. It WAS benign. I'm agnostic and can see that.

I am not casting anything on anyone. Please explain what I am casting.

Religion/belief is a personal choice. It is not OK for a Public School counselor to use his own personal religion for any reason in instructing a child.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I am not casting anything on anyone. Please explain what I am casting.

Right here Annee:

Your son could have been Atheist - -

Absolutes. It's what turned me off of religion to start with.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This is not about your son being quoted scripture. This is about your son being censored for expressing himself. I think you misunderstand what rights are at issue here. People should be able to say what they want. And it's possible the guy did look Jewish. There is such a thing as looking Jewish. I'm glad I don't have any kids. Cause if I did I wouldn't let them get within 10 miles of any public school. It's just an indoctrination center. Not about education.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
My girlfriends son's class was asked to name their hero and then she wrote it on the board. When my son's friend said "Jesus" the teacher wouldn't write it on the board - no explanation.

Some times this all get a little too extreme for me.

Actually, there is wisdom in the Bible and common sayings come from it with out people knowing.

Why the counselor did what he did certainly can be questioned by you and should if it bothers you.

Is there anything wrong with being Jewish? Sounds like the teacher took it to be a slur.

My kids never told me about the times they got in trouble. I usually found out through the principal.

Good points.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
At least he didn't opt for this one (although it may be applicable)

Proverbs 12:1
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

HAHA! There is no God ...but we are all energy creating through thought?? HA! What created energy and thought? Come on now...

There is NO GOD is absolutely an ignorant way of saying I do not understand God. Just my opinion though.
There is nothing factual to back it up...that's for sure.

People who do not believe in a God would most certainly be offended with a quote from a Religious text and guess what.... people have believed in a Higher Power or whatever you want to call it/him/her/I am/We since day one. Separation of church and state is not possible.

Who cares...believe what you want and KNOW that other people do not look out of your eyes. We are all different.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

I think that counselor has no business being around children!

I wouldn't want MY children exposed to that nonsense....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
To the OP: Oh my goodness. All this over what a guidance counselor said? Is your son scarred for life because he heard a bible verse? Is your son scarred for life because someone gave him good advice in the form of a quote?

In this country you have the right to freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. If I want to spout quotes from any book, it is my right. Do not condemn a guidance counselor for making one statement that happened to be a quote from the Bible. If I were you I'd be thankful someone who is well-read and has some values (I assume) was there to handle the situation.

If you are afraid of hearing Bible verses, you are in the wrong country. No offense, but this country was based on Judeo-Christian principles. I don't care if you believe in God or not. I defend your right to that, but don't bash others because of their beliefs.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
From my understanding,

1) OP is in support of her kid's spiritual growth

Spiritual growth is a self-journey. It should not be shielded from any point of view as the individual should go through the experience to effect its own spiritual growth.

It seems to me that you are not Christian, therefore representing another form of spirituality. You took offense when your son was quoted a Bible verse, which clashes with what I assume again is not your own spirituality. You preach freedom of religion yet you seem to be shielding your son's progress in the journey with your own view points, by taking such an amount of offense over your son being given advice in form of a Biblical quote. Your son should be open to this kind of knowledge because one day, it will all accumulate and he will get the joys to find out who he is, spiritually that is.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I wonder if this would be an issue if it was a quote from any of the other world religious texts.
As a parent if my kids heard texts from alternate religions I would use them to reinforce and explain my beliefs to my kids.
I am sure that text is a proverb, the book of proverbs came from many and varied Ancient and Near East cultures other than just Judaism.
Proverbs is believed to be a collection of wise sayings from from all over the Middle east.
Maybe you need to do a little more research as to what you believe is Christian or Jewish before mounting your hi horse and charging in to battle.
or
Are you just trying to retaliate because your child was chastised at school??

I dont have an answer but some things are worth considering, If it bugs you so much then better to complain and sort it out, than stew over the issue for ages

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I cant say I agree with your view on him quoting the bible. What if he wear to quote Obama? I think its his right to be able to quote the bible in any setting. Its not right that school have religion rules. In my middle school you wear not allowed to wear crosses or any other religious symbols. He should not have been punished for what he said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join