It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Son's School Counselor Quoted Him Scripture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yesterday my son (who is in 8th grade) informed me that he was sent to the Guidance Office by his World Cultures teacher. I asked him why and he was very honest with the reason, however I wasn't overly comfortable with it! The class was studying a certain culture, can't remember which one though, and the teacher was showing pictures of the native peoples. One picture was stopped on for lecture purposes and my son blurted out "Wow, that guy looks Jewish!" Now I don't condone him profiling period, however our society does a lot of that and his reason for the statement was simple enough, the man had a very large nose (again, my son's honesty lol).

So the teacher, upon hearing the remark, sent him straight to the Guidance Counselor. I think that a simple "That was inappropriate" or something of that nature would have sufficed, but what do I know, right?! Anyway, my son gets to the office and informs the Counselor about what had gotten him sent, to which the Counselor replied "The thoughts of the heart over flow through the mouth" and then quoted the Bible to my son, a specific chapter and verse. He of course does not remember what it was, but it really is neither here nor there!!

Is there not supossed to be a seperation between Church and State?! I feel that my son's right's were violated, specifically his freedom of religion. Now we do not practice a particular religion and our "faith" is much more on a spiritual level, so it's not that quoting Christian docterine itself was offensive, but just the fact that it was done with no regard to my child as an individual. 'What if' it would have been offensive? And 'what if' this Counselor has offended other children and their families beliefs by doing the same thing?! I'm just not sure how I should handle this or if I should even bother and just let sleeping dogs lie?!

What do you all think?!

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I think the counselor quoted an inspirational quote that he felt would be appropriate to the situation.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It's not like he asked him to convert to Christianity.

And in all fairness.... your son brought up religion first when he said the guy looked Jewish... which is probably why he got the response that he did.

Just my opinion.

[color=mediumorchid]Edited to add: I think that one of the biggest problems with society these days is that everyone is too easily offended. No one can say anything without someone taking offense. I think people need to calm down.... it's ridiculous.

edit on 28-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Perhaps you should ask your son whether he felt uncomfortable being exposed to Biblical phrases. There is nothing wrong with quoting scripture...It's imposing the faith itself that is wrong. Teaching its lessons, however, should not be an issue. Regardless of which book or culture it comes from, it is truth.

Ask your son how he feels. If he was not made uncomfortable, I hardly think it is up to you to say how he should feel. When it comes time for scripture to be quoted for you, that's when you should say something.

Your son is not you, so perhaps he doesn't mind the Bible.
edit on CSaturdayam575739f39America/Chicago28 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I would be LIVID!

I am a major proponent of separation of church and state.

I would at least inform the principle - - just for the purpose of it being on record in case there are other complaints.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Perhaps you should ask your son whether he felt uncomfortable being exposed to Biblical phrases. There is nothing wrong with quoting scripture...

YES there is in a public school.

I am assuming this is a public school.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'm an agnostic but I can see the value of some axioms that are in the bible. "Do unto others...." from the bible but damn good advice.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Perhaps you should ask your son whether he felt uncomfortable being exposed to Biblical phrases. There is nothing wrong with quoting scripture...

I'm sorry, are you taking into account the child's feelings in the matter, or just your own? I think religion is a personal choice, as is the quoting of it. Just because it is religious, doesn't make the words any less wise.

Perhaps you're prejudiced towards religion?

And no, I'm not religious in any modern sense. I follow faiths and veneration that have been around for centuries longer than the Christian God.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yes, my son did bring up religion first, however it was more of a cultural or (dare I say it) racial remark. More to the end of Jewish people "stereo"typically have large noses! I do not condone his statement, it would have been met with a quick and stern reply from myself or my husband (and was discussed with him by both of us last evening) about it's inappropriateness!!

And I also see the point that it's more about how he felt during the conversation with the Counselor. He did tell me that it felt a little weird, but he wasn't offended per say!

That is why I wanted to come here to "rant" because I, personally, have issues with Christianity and know full well that I can over react in some situations when it comes to this sort of thing! I needed a sounding board and a guide post if you will! Where better to turn than my ATS family for my verbal betting for over reacting (if I was/am anyway)! I appreciate both of your input and am working hard at not being offended myself for playing such a staunch momma bear lol!

Thanks

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I am failing to see what exactly was offensive about that particular quote.

Are you only offended because it came from the bible?

What if someone said 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'?

Would you be offended by that as well?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well let's get technical...the Bible is after all a historical book (meaning it is a huge part of history)!

Thousands of wars over the Bible...millions of deaths...so the Bible in itself has historical value!

Would it have been better to quote "Huckleberry Finn"?

What should you quote when giving insperational points (anything but the Bible)?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I'm sorry, are you taking into account the child's feelings in the matter, or just your own? I think religion is a personal choice, as is the quoting of it. Just because it is religious, doesn't make the words any less wise.

Perhaps you're prejudiced towards religion?

And no, I'm not religious in any modern sense. I follow faiths and veneration that have been around for centuries longer than the Christian God.

What do feelings have to do with Separation of Church and State?

As the OP stated: "quoted a verse from scripture" - - - that is beyond presenting a philosophical quote.

Is it OK if he quotes from the The Islamic book of law or The First Book of Luciferian?

Our society is conditioned to think the bible is good.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I am failing to see what exactly was offensive about that particular quote.

Are you only offended because it came from the bible?

What if someone said 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'?

Would you be offended by that as well?

No one actually knows where that came from...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

its a strange situation but exposing a person (your kid) to other beliefs is a good idea instead of keeping them in the dark or bashing what they might not understand ,it will make them a wiser and rounded person , enough so to make his own choices.

im curious do you celebrate christmas and easter and such?

that would be very contradicting
edit on 28-1-2012 by MaximinusThrax because: edit

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Actually, it isn't. Because see, just because it came from the Bible, does not make the idea the sole property of Christianity.

Perhaps the counselor thought the scriptures could explain it better than he could.
edit on CSaturdayam494906f06America/Chicago28 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
What should you quote when giving insperational points (anything but the Bible)?

Why is a counselor giving religious inspirational anything?

That is a violation of Church and State.

How about this. "There is no god - - we are all connected by energy. What we think creates. One must be aware of there thoughts and how it affects the energy whole."

I'm sure that is perfectly acceptable for a counselor to say. Don't you agree?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Actually, it isn't. Because see, just because it came from the Bible, does not make the idea the sole property of Christianity.

Perhaps the counselor thought the scriptures could explain it better than he could.

YES - it does.

Again - - - our society is conditioned by propaganda to accept the bible as a good thing.

ANY public school employee is in violation of Church and State if they quote from the bible.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Okay...this is opinion...but much of our society was built on the foundation of the Bible...matter of fact...the protestants came to America because of their belief (not for oil, money, etc...)!

The U.S. constitution uses the term "God" repeatedly...and I am certain they meant the god of their Bible!

The Bible is historical in it's nature...being atheist, agnostic, or a believer makes no difference...it is history (and philosophy as you pointed out) and some knowledge of it should be acceptable!

It is almost laughable that someone would say "he looks like a Jew..." where does that come from...almost sounds like Nazi Hitler to me? Really whats a Jew look like, or a Mormon, or a Jehovahs Witness?

Ethical sense is knowing something about the history of the Bible..knowing nothing is ignorance IMHO!
edit on 28-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Do you really expect this child to understand that? You're talking physics now. I'm sure that would be so much better...explain in a way that the child can't understand.

Separation of Church and State means you can't teach the religion itself...but there's nothing wrong with isolated ideas regarding how you treat people. It's just an example.

Considering how much science is taught in schools (which contradicts the Bible on a daily basis) I think it should be the Christians throwing fits, not you.

edit on CSaturdayam101013f13America/Chicago28 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Okay...this is opinion...but much of our society was built on the foundation of the Bible...matter of fact...the protestants came to America because of their belief (not for oil, money, etc...)!

Those who originally came here for religious freedom were practically thrown out of their own country because of extremism.

The bible is religious. Public school is government. It is in violation.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Those who originally came here for religious freedom were practically thrown out of their own country because of extremism.

The bible is religious. Public school is government. It is in violation.

Alright. Show me the part of OP's post where it says the counselor forced his beliefs on the child, rather than simply explaining a viewpoint.

Show me where it says that, and you have won your case.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join