It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACTA - Get Informed (SOPA's Big Brother) Worse than SOPA and PIPA!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
To be honest I am quite surprised more has not been spoken about ACTA. I cannot believe there is not a top headline about it. If you thought SOPA was bad just wait until you see ACTA. The media is basically having a complete blackout of the fact that ACTA has now been signed by the EU. Despite thousands protesting against it namely in Poland. What is even worse is that they have been working on this for years... This video explains ACTA very well and it scared the crap out of me.. Now it makes sense why the media was attacking PIPA and SOPA so much it was to cover up the signing of ACTA. It all makes sense now!

If this video does not scare you enough then this will... The EU has now signed the bill and it was already signed in secret on October 1st 2011, in Tokyo, Japan by Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Morocco, Singapore, and South Korea.

www.ustr.gov...

This is bad!!
edit on 28-1-2012 by Lightbringer38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This is much worse than SOPA people!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lightbringer38

Not using the search engine is much worse..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightbringer38

Just watched the video.. so the US already signed it? Back in October? jeez I work for an ISP and I didnt hear a word about it. I dont know for sure but isnt congress supposed to ratify treaties in the usa for them to become law? Going to look ino this further. Will monitor and return after I've talked with my co workers.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Well think of this as an update since it has now been signed plus this video is an updated version

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by 6Eyengineer
reply to post by Lightbringer38

Just watched the video.. so the US already signed it? Back in October? jeez I work for an ISP and I didnt hear a word about it. I dont know for sure but isnt congress supposed to ratify treaties in the usa for them to become law? Going to look ino this further. Will monitor and return after I've talked with my co workers.

Yep.. Check the link I provided it is a link to the US government website. It is very scary

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Speaks volumes that non-elected people make this kind of agreements in secrecy. Sounds like freedom and democracy to me

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I posted yesterday about this here and also on other forums as well as some comments on CNN etc.

The word MUST be spread because i am also starting to believe that SOPA was merely a distraction from the REAL danger ACTA is.

It needs to be pointed out that the US imposed those laws SECRETLY since the ######les who made those laws knew beforehand they will meet significant resistance from the EU and others due to how this law violates privacy rights which are VERY strict here in Europe.

Mind you that for such a law it is required that internet traffic be intercepted and monitored, this is *significant*.

What is funny is that ACTA means "Anti Counterfeiting TRADE AGREEMENT"

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

This is important information to everybody, I don't see why you'd like to stick the discussion on 1 thread so it can eventually die, and be forgotten.

Good video, spread the word

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 6Eyengineer

I will be interested in hearing what you co-workers have to say about this. Here is an Activist Post Article that has some rather interesting information on this topic. I used this article (which I linked to from the thread provided by another contributor to this thread) as a platform to do more research on the topic myself.

In the above linked article it states:

Leaked cables published by WikiLeaks in 2009 exposed early drafts of ACTA, resulting in a firestorm of controversy. Those cables, coupled with later releases, showed that ACTA negotiations began in 2006 and were controversial even to participating states

Did ya catch that.... 2006??!!??. Kind of makes me feel as though I've over slept and just now realized I'm late for work... you know that feeling, the feeling that snaps you into full panic mode in the blink of an eye while you try to prioritize what needs to be done while wondering how you could have been so stupid as to not set the alarm correctly and hope against hope you manage to grab 2 shoes of the same color?

Here is a website that has info on the WikiLeaks cables referred to: WikiLeaks Cables Shine Light on ACTA History.

Anyway, hope this helps you in some way

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is great News

Well that is why GPL(General Public License) stands For.

Lets start Building GPL License for every knowledge we Own or create in future.

Example : Even if a movie is not released under GPL license i wont watch that movie, TV serials,Mp3, ads etc

Lets Declare whole Goddamn world Population Knowledge as GPL

&

I have catchy Name for this Bill for World

OpenSource global Knowledge License (OS GKL)

Trust me it is Coming Guys

edit on 28-1-2012 by Arcot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn
reply to post by 6Eyengineer

I will be interested in hearing what you co-workers have to say about this. Here is an Activist Post Article that has some rather interesting information on this topic. I used this article (which I linked to from the thread provided by another contributor to this thread) as a platform to do more research on the topic myself.

In the above linked article it states:

Leaked cables published by WikiLeaks in 2009 exposed early drafts of ACTA, resulting in a firestorm of controversy. Those cables, coupled with later releases, showed that ACTA negotiations began in 2006 and were controversial even to participating states

Did ya catch that.... 2006??!!??. Kind of makes me feel as though I've over slept and just now realized I'm late for work... you know that feeling, the feeling that snaps you into full panic mode in the blink of an eye while you try to prioritize what needs to be done while wondering how you could have been so stupid as to not set the alarm correctly and hope against hope you manage to grab 2 shoes of the same color?

Here is a website that has info on the WikiLeaks cables referred to: WikiLeaks Cables Shine Light on ACTA History.

Anyway, hope this helps you in some way

Wow I had no idea. Wikileaks released stuff about it thanks!

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join