It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Prisons 'nearly full'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

And those who say bring back the death penalty, shame on you.

I don't think you can hold the moral highground on that- as pro death penalty people could point out the fact that convicted murderers have continually murdered again, both in prison, and whilst released- so basically either choice involves the deaths of more people

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

That's something else that pisses me off, the warrant they used to arrest you was called a "distress" warrant.

Distress?? Who is getting distressed because you never forked out your hard earned cash (or dole money
)

dis·tress    [dih-stres]

1. great pain, anxiety, or sorrow; acute physical or mental suffering; affliction; trouble.
2. a state of extreme necessity or misfortune.
3. the state of a ship or airplane requiring immediate assistance, as when on fire in transit.
4. that which causes pain, suffering, trouble, danger, etc.
5. liability or exposure to pain, suffering, trouble, etc.; danger: a damsel in distress.

Number 2 might count, the misfortune of being knocked up out of bed at 5am by PC Juan Kerr just because you owe someone £20 because they say so.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thismightbesatire

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. There are no deterrents to stop people from committing crimes, and if they do get arrested it's basically a holiday. I studied public services last year and went on a trip to a prison in Somerset, and there are TVs, cosy rooms, Playstations, etc. And that was in a lifers prison.

I also went to court with college and watched numerous cases, there was a complete scum bag of a guy who took drugs and burgled countless houses and buildings and had been to court plenty of times before, and he got sent to rehab... After 27 counts of burglary.

And to the guy who said the title is misleading, I meant countries inside the UK, it doesn't have to include every country in the UK. Sorry if i've caused some confusion!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Everyones opinion may vary on that, but I was brought up to believe two wrongs don't make a right, thou shalt not kill (I'm not trying to be religious here, but to me, the thought of taking someones life, no matter how much people may think they deserve it, is wrong).

There is also the issue of wrong convictions, you can release someone 15 years later if it is proved they were innocent, can't do that if they are dead.

That is just my opinion though, I would push it on anyone else, each to their own.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
And those who say bring back the death penalty, shame on you.

Why shame on us? Why should convicted paedophiles, rapists and murderers be allowed to live inside a cosy prison playing video games and getting an education, on our hard earned money? They're the lowest of the low and should not be allowed those privileges.

Believe it or not, not everyone gets stabbed or raped in prison. It's not actually all that bad from what I've seen.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sozen94

I never said they should be allowed to live in luxury (and I know some of them do, that needs to change), they don't deserve it.

I just said I didn't condone the death penalty, for many reasons, the wrongful conviction one is a strong point.
edit on 28/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Maybe we (the US) can help. This story came out in Apr 2011 (Concord Monitor)

April 19, 2011

How dysfunctional is Washington, D.C., these days? The answer can be found about 600 miles north, in Berlin, N.H.

As Monitor reporter Maddie Hanna reported Sunday, Berlin is the site of the federal government's newest prison. Construction was completed last summer. It cost federal taxpayers $276 million to build. It cost Berlin taxpayers significant money to upgrade water and sewer lines in anticipation. A warden was hired, as were a handful of workers. And yet, a prison for 1,300 inmates sits empty - at a cost of $4 million a year.

The last "prisoners" to be held there was...a group of boy scouts who toured the facility. I think they even got to spend the night

Our taxpayer dollars HARD(ly) at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I first saw this report on the news, they showed the grounds keeper mowing the lawn. WTF are you mowing the lawn of an empty prison?
edit on 28-1-2012 by DivineFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Stop quoting the bible"thou shalt not kill"!! It also says "an eye for an eye". Makes a mess of thou shalt not kill. By the way does anyone know that prisoners were deported to the good ole USA (to work on the plantations) way before they were transported to Ausie. There's the answer just transport them to USA.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayzeed
reply to post by woogleuk

Stop quoting the bible"thou shalt not kill"!! It also says "an eye for an eye". Makes a mess of thou shalt not kill. By the way does anyone know that prisoners were deported to the good ole USA (to work on the plantations) way before they were transported to Ausie. There's the answer just transport them to USA.

i did not know that, im still researching australian prisoners, i mean british being deported for stealing
oh yeh did you know that americans didnot pull black men from their beaches and then sold to slavery
not at all, they sold themselves out
oh yeh i forgot what the romans did for our country whilst they occupied it

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
As far as ive read, UK prisons are already over following, with bunk beds in rooms designed for single inmates. Ive got an idea that doesnt involve killing "undesirables" (Yes thats right, this isnt hitlers germany)
We COULD invest some time and money into stopping people needing to commit crime. For example, the Druggies that take up so much space in our prisons - Just give em the drugs/help - throwing em in a cell is not a solution for anyone.
And this is an island for gods sake, im sure if they wanted to nail the drug lords they could. Cut off the supply, crime would eventually drop.
Can only guess someone's making money from our prison system somehow.

No need to build any more prisons, try mending society.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join