It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

January 28, 2012: Blackout Twitter Protest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
CNET

Yesterday, Twitter said it was willing to remove tweets on a country-by-country basis when there are local restrictions against content in the tweets, and when a country requires the tweets to be taken down. That's why these Twitter users are up in arms.

The company said the new plan promotes freedom of expression, transparency, and accountability because even though these tweets may be unavailable to people in a given country--they'll stay available to the rest of the world. Until now, the only way Twitter could operate in these countries was to remove offending tweets internationally.

Still, the fact that Twitter is removing tweets at all is causing many people to cry censorship. - CNET

I don't really think it will have much effect on traffic, as it doesn't have much of a prep time... but let's see what's happening around 8:00pm. Word might spread by then.

I don't use Twitter to post anyways, but just wanted to let everyone who does know about it.
edit on 28-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
What do you expect from a CIA Op?

Been on over a year & still not sure how the sodding thing works - like where do my post's go on someone else's page - pleny of boobies though...lmao

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I saw that news story earlier today and it really p----d me off! I don't think there should be ANY censorship - especially not at the behest of dictatorship governments (especially our own). So, I immediately shut down my Twitter account. I don't use it that much anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
So that just means when we read about the Egyptians being pounded by their military and they themselves cant read it, we repost the tweets so they can? Sounds like a plan to me I guess....

top topics

join