It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What lane do you choose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
So I have thought about this for a while, and I want to ask you ATS, when turning at an intersection and you have two turn lanes, which do you choose?

I am sure there are many deciding factors in this, but with habit what lane would you get into. Do you follow the car in front of you, or choose the different path?

I ask because I have noticed, more recently now than ever, that when I go to get on the highway. More people stack up in one lane. Both lanes merge into one, so no real advantage as to which lane you choose. But often times I will pull up and the inner lane will be pilled up as to block the other lane. With no cars!!! I can just go around and be first in line. Blows my mind.

So I have noticed it more and more often. So I ask what do you all think does this?

I have given much thought into this. And trying not so be mean, but its like there is no thought involved. Just people following other people. Oblivious to the world around them. But how could that be? Wouldn't we all go around driving into each other? And I don't think like that. I mean hey, I get to go first, but just seems strange, and I wanted to get some logical opinions, why this happens, and if you find yourself to be the one to pile into a lane, why?

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This is the lane I'd take!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TgP3o6

Ya ya, maybe I failed here, but I was really curious if anything besides, the "well they're dumb". Was the reason.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I almost always go into the lane with the least cars...especially if that means I'm the 1st one in line - unless there's a semi in one & then I always go to the other lane....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I weave around the slower drivers but mainly stay in the middle or far right lane. For one I dont rush for no one, sometimes not even myself. And 2 I'm used to driving beaters, always ready for a pit stop AKA break down

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I will try to answer this as best I can, some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and these people have no business driving cars.

And here is a quote from your OP;

"but its like there is no thought involved. Just people following other people. Oblivious to the world around them"

I work on cars for a living, so my driving skills are much better than the average person, maybe that's why all the idiot's stand out to me.

And just to add, here in calif almost every freeway onramp is metered with a light and some onramps have a carpool lane so you can bypass the light with at least two people in the car.

hope that helps

Peace

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FutureThinker

I drove 3 adults and a baby from NYC to Phoenix with 2 burned out cylinders, bad breaks, my back tires were down to the fabric, leaking nearly every fluid THAT took skill...Just kidding that took pure desperation. As beat as she was she only used 250 bucks in gas doing it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Hmmmmm I really hate to be the one to give the obvious answer but I'm thinkin we choose the lane that is closest to you or depending on where you are going and the laws of course????

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
What gets me even worse than what you brought up, MoosKept, is the merging thing. Why can't people get that? I mean....you see a sign half a mile a way that warns you of a merge ahead...and they all wait till the last minute to try to merge.

It's mind boggling.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It does depend on the transition of decisions expected to occur during the decision to merge and intended results.
Example, one EW major hwy intersects a NS major hwy. Going into the intersection, one lane goes S and 3 others go W then transitions into going N, N bound traffic thats at a good clip, and relatively short approach for 3 lanes to enter an existing 2 lane becoming only 3 after the W bound adds into the N bound. Still with me? Depending on the traffic, I begin with middle lane before the approach and move over to far left at the onset of interchange. Because far right lane ditches before full conversion and no shoulder should you get stuck out. Middle lane ends up jockeying for room before ending just a short distance forward, and far left lane has the best blind spot visibility when entering the combined section of hwy. I would rather merge once and stay put, than to repeat the blind check 3 times just to ultimately end up in the far right lane anyway. This way I only have to check speeds of those beside infront and behind, and not my blindspot repeatedly. Can rely on mirrors more effectively.
Conversely though, it does appear I am contributing to the left lane build up, and you can scoot infront of me by passing on my right just ahead of me. However in some countries you are not permitted to pass on the right under any circumstances, but I think thats out of context in this case. Are the right lane scooters rude for barreling up in the front hoping to jump in at the last minute thinking they saved some time by getting ahead, when if they are obnoxious enough left laners keep them cut off making them come to nearly a complete stop, making merge next to impossible until there is a significant break in traffic. So to answer its a matter of perspective really.
edit on 28-1-2012 by SunflowerStar because: sp

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
the one with no cars , so that can floor it and go ..
drive sportscar gotta go fast. also manual transmission only none of that automatic transmission crap .

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Maybe most of those drivers intend on making another left turn once they get through the intersection and don't want to fight their way from the right lane. Also, it is simply safer to take the inside of the turn. I have no stats on that statement, but in my many years of driving that seems to be true. The outside turn has to watch both the cars on the inside turn and possibly cars making right turns from across the street.

But then, again, there is the herd mentality(?) thing to consider.

top topics

join