It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Called Kennedy Crazy; Why Newt's Lunar Colony is a GREAT idea.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Newt Gingrich has been attacked for his grandiose ideas about creating a lunar colony. Today, Kennedy is considered one of the best Presidents in history. Can America be great again and go back into space?

What do you all make of the GOP on their space issues? I am shocked that the media is giving Newt a hard time and not even considering his ideas. They are the ones that are tired of all the oil wars. Do you know what will stop this? Mining the Moon!!!! Kennedy did the same thing and is seen as one of the best Presidents in history even though he had a questionable past with the bootleggers.

I copied this from one of the comments from the article because it illustrates my point clearly:

What a lot of the anti-space crowd doesn't understand is that we shipped out / sold out the technology and tooling that we had developed in the USA that supported middle class jobs. Television, microchips, computers, calculators, wireless phones, DVD players, IPODS. That technology is gone for good now, in China, Vietnam, Korea, etc. We either all flip hamburgers for each other OR we develop NEW technology. The world's leading expert on Solar Power technology? NASA! World's leading experts on compact nuclear power? US Navy and NASA! Water purification and recycling in compact units? NASA! Who besides NASA and the military does advanced research these days in the USA? Not corporations! Spending money on space produces jobs, both directly and indirectly. It gives us something to build a new economy upon. Bank bailouts and welfare give us nothing but more future bills!

I'm no fan of big government but when Obama cuts NASA the ONLY government program that can actually do the things he wants and when three of the four candidates for President do not support space travel at all. It really makes me upset. You want a bold plan to fix the economy? Well folks mining the moon is just as plausible as anything else we've got! Newt's got my vote and it could be solely for this! But I've been liking him more and more lately.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Let's take care of our problems on earth first, then we'll worry about putting colonies on the moon.

Edit to add, I'd say our half century old infrastructure needs a makeover , in my neck of the woods Water Mains bursting and blackouts are becomming more and more prevalent.

edit on 27-1-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

We can do both at the same time! Invest in space agency. Get it back up and going again this will create the gov't jobs that those on the left love. This will increase patriotism, inspire education, and create thousands of jobs. Once established the oil and financial crisis will be solved in a manner of months! There is a wealth of money up there on the moon and we need to be willing to work together to get to it!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I disagree with everything Newt stands for, I don't like his character, I don't think he has any integrity, and I believe he is easily bought if the price is right, and I never want to see him in the Oval Office, that said, I fully agree with his moon base idea!

Damn you Newt... I was enjoying not liking you... you bastard
edit on 27-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

I disagree with everything Newt stands for, I don't like his character, I don't think he has any integrity, and I believe he is easily bought if the price is right, and I never want to see him in the Oval Office, that said, I fully agree with his moon base idea!

Damn you Newt... I was enjoying not liking you... you bastard
edit on 27-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

If you think about it neither did Kennedy or pretty much any President or candidate for that matter. But I think this plan even beats Ron Paul's. Ron Paul's is just temporary. If we get a lunar colony up on the Moon before any other country is even thinking about this. It will be a major plus in the history books and in the future of our world!
edit on 27-1-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

This will increase patriotism, inspire education, and create thousands of jobs.

No it wont , The only people that will benefit from it are the stockholders and CEO's of the companies that whispered this idea into newt's ear. Create Jobs?!? We have PLENTY of job's the problem is we don't have qualified people to staff them , we have an influx of people on H-1B Visas staffing these jobs because our kids nowadays all want to be Psych Majors or Liberal Arts.

Any jobs that would be created would be for people in foreign countries... c'mon man , I'm sure you're on the "Anybody but Obama" train and that's cool , but Newt?!? REALLY?!?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Clearly Newt is lying, wait till his 2nd term lol the man is pure evil looking for votes..... this Lunar Colony ideal has been around before man stepped on the moon..... Newt is a Joke!
believe me, he will do nothing but DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY....

edit on 27-1-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

No it wont , The only people that will benefit from it are the stockholders and CEO's of the companies that whispered this idea into newt's ear. Create Jobs?!? We have PLENTY of job's the problem is we don't have qualified people to staff them , we have an influx of people on H-1B Visas staffing these jobs because our kids nowadays all want to be Psych Majors or Liberal Arts.

Any jobs that would be created would be for people in foreign countries... c'mon man , I'm sure you're on the "Anybody but Obama" train and that's cool , but Newt?!? REALLY?!?

How can you say there are plenty of jobs?? There is not. But no the CEOs of companies will surely profit from this, but then again, do you really get help when the budget is balanced? Not really. This moon base idea is healthy for the country 110%! You can say everything bad you want about it, but in the end you know it's good for the country and in the long run the world, for when oil runs out. and other end of the world scenarios happen/

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
But no the CEOs of companies will surely profit from this, but then again, do you really get help when the budget is balanced?

That doesn't make any sense... It's a logical fallacy

Highly skilled worker jobs in demand

That's how I can say there are jobs, the problem is most Americans don't meet the requirements.

I would like you to explain to me in detail how a "lunar space colony" would help the United States.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
First of all, you honestly think that was origionally his idea? Cmon now.

2nd, the space program has been in the govts hands for far too long. Govt programs are extremely pricey, and very inefficient. My father worked for NASA 35+ years. I live in a NASA town. Its time for the US space industry to be turned over to the private sector, to create some competion with someone other than Russians and Chinese. Ideally, the govt develops the technology and research. Once established, projects should be turned over to private contractors for maintenance, which ends up being cheaper. Ever heard of SpaceX? Now they have the right idea!

So dont let Newt fool you into thinkin the US space program will collapse under any of the other 3. The current admin/congress has been more detremental to it than ever thought possible, but theyre doin just fine at the moment, aside from the fact we currently have to hitch rides to the ISS with Russians. But that will soon change as we transition from the shuttle to ares and shift presidents, so that obamas NASAAABS of 2010 can be overturned, which it will.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Jeez, the republicans focus on EVERYTHING other than the hard-working middle-class American citizen here on planet EARTH.

If it were for republicans only in office, even 'green Martians' would be getting help before main-street USA ever gets any attention or support from them.

BUT, of-course, those 'green Martians' would have to be WEALTHY Martians, otherwise the Republicans couldnt care less about them as they show time and time again with us hard-working American middle-class earthlings.

How about we worry about fixing issues on EARTH FIRST you brain-dead republicans!!!!! Oh wait, lets PAMPER the wealthy 'green Martians' out there since they will be our "job creators" and give us LOTS of GREAT jobs.

... yea, just like the TONS and TONS of jobs created during the Bush tax cuts holiday for the wealthy, eh?
JOB CREATORS?
JOBS? WHERE?

Pathetic.
SIGH.
edit on 27-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
But no the CEOs of companies will surely profit from this, but then again, do you really get help when the budget is balanced?

That doesn't make any sense... It's a logical fallacy

Highly skilled worker jobs in demand

That's how I can say there are jobs, the problem is most Americans don't meet the requirements.

I would like you to explain to me in detail how a "lunar space colony" would help the United States.

Exactly, it only makes sense to provide help to those who are either far ahead of far behind...
edit on 27-1-2012 by TomServo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

If it were for republicans only in office, even any possible lifeforms in other galaxies would be getting help before main-street USA ever gets any attention or support from them.

Republicans love main street. Small business owners, and the people they employ are the backbone of a healthy economy. As for wanting attention or support from anybody in government, well, that's sad. It's good to be self reliant.

BUT, of-course, those potential outer-galaxy lifeforms would have to be WEALTHY life-forces, otherwise the Republicans couldnt care less about them as they show time and time again with us hard-working American middle-class earthlings.

"Middle class" is a leftist term. I assure you that conservative politicians believe in, and stand up for, hard working Americans. Republicans are not all rich people, any more than Democrats are all poor people.

Nice location that you've listed in your avatar: "ON THE NEIGHBORS WIRELESS CONNECTION." That says a lot.

As for the Moon, it would be worth hearing the details of the program. There must be some defensive value to a moon base too, in addition to the possible industry expansions.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
Clearly Newt is lying, wait till his 2nd term lol the man is pure evil looking for votes..... this Lunar Colony ideal has been around before man stepped on the moon..... Newt is a Joke!
believe me, he will do nothing but DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY....

edit on 27-1-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

So, what you are sayin' is that not only will Newt win the election, but have two terms.

Color me puzzled.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Personally, I think Gingrich is a walking pusbucket, and I would not give him the time of day.

That said, I do strongly feel that the US should be making more intelligent, long term investments in space exploration, travel and colonization.

THAT said, I do not trust Gingrich or the GOP (or the Democrats, for that matter) to do it right.

There is only one way the US would be able to establish a moon colony in 8 years... focus on nothing else; pour every single resource into the project.

Which would make it a boondoggle (moondoggle?). It would be another sprint to the moon, and we would not establish the technology or social constructs to allow such an effort to succeed in the long term.

A moon colony established in 8 years from now MIGHT last a year. But the degree of corruption that would be involved, especially if this happened in a Gingrich adminstration would be itself astronomical... we'd probably have KBR contracted to build the shelters, and they would end up being the same kind of crap KBR did in Iraq... they would leak, and electrocute the inhabitants at random times.

So while I think the basic idea of doing competent space travel development and colonization is a good one, I do not for one second think that it would happen competently under a Gingrich administration.

Jeez, I get a creepy feeling just typing those words: "Gringrich adminstration"

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

If you think Newt Gingrich is going to deliver you a moon base you need to take a reality check.

The USA on its current economic trajectory isn't going anywhere unless they find a life form in the solar system with an appetite for US treasury bonds.

edit on 28-1-2012 by justwokeup because: TYPO

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Obviously, Newt is grandstanding for his audience, which in Coco Beach includes a lot of people in the space industry. His plans for a Moon base are undoubtedly premature, but he is correct in one area. When he says that one day the US will be launching six rockets a day, he is highlighting the United States' lack of depth in launch capability. Space is vital to the command & control structure of the US military. A genuine shooting war would undoubtedly commence with anti-satellite attacks on the part of any sophisticated enemy. The United States needs to be able to replace its space infra-structure over a time span best measured in hours. There is a very real reason to increase production of both boosters and satellites to replace damaged ones on short notice.

As for employing foreign engineers on visas: who cares, so long as they pay income and sales tax in the US?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
A lot of this is because the Chinese are making strides toward a permanent moon presence. He's playing to American Exceptialism, except we live in a country where ignorance is an asset. Just look at how scientists and intellectuals are denigrated in this country. You can't go to the moon without them and thanks to years of an "ignorance is an asset" attitude we are in short supply of mental capital.
edit on 28-1-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
A moon base would be cool.
He's not building one in 8 years, though.
There's just no money for it. We're broke, remember?

Besides, the political/military ramifications of a moon base would cause too much chaos.
I think the reasons that the US having a moon base would scare the rest of the world are the same reasons that Newt wants one.

A moon base would be cool, though.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Newt will say just about anything to get votes. Moon base seriously?? I can see the opportunities that the moon can offer, H3 and all. But as far as I know he never mention why we need a moon base. One up China? Their about 40+ yrs behind us getting there anyway. Lets worry about getting our country back, and not spend an unfathomably about of funds and resources.
Newts grasping at straws!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join