It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay to Allow Real-Object Downloads. The Real Reason for SOPA, IMO.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparrowstail
"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot..."

edit on 28-1-2012 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

Im a little sad that I had to get this far in the thread to see that reference.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
hmm but can it print food?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by hawkiye

The "good of humanity" is measured in money. The jobs most valuable to society tend to pay the highest (at least, in the free market systems). The jobs that any person can be minimally trained to do don't pay well.

I believe you do not understand the concept of altruism.
The good of Humanity is measured in how we treat each other and what is available for those who do not function very well in a monetary economy, this is then for the greater good of humanity.
Not everything is dollars and cents.
Altruistic tendencies create social good, in a myriad of ways, it is also what our political morons are lacking in, the cremation of care ceremony is literally a burning of any sense of social responsibility and any feelings of care for the harm you cause.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Engafan

what sort of materials can you use for printing? How strong is it?

Think Lego, and all your questions are answered.

ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastic.
edit on 28/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Engafan

what sort of materials can you use for printing? How strong is it?

Think Lego, and all your questions are answered.

ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastic.
edit on 28/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

As I posted before, you can print in metal, glass, ceramic or plastic. (and sandstone apparently)

www.shapeways.com...
edit on 28-1-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by solarstorm
Betting the drug junkies are gonna be saucer eyed with this technology.
These machines print plastic components. It isn't a chemical drug factory.

Ummmmm..........My sister-in-law sells these machines Although I've never seen one in operation, her "brochures" show that the small ones are roughly the size of an arcade video game machine and run in the tens of thousands of dollars. She showed me some of the very intricate items that could be "printed". One was a toroidal housing with a planetary gear arrangement that had spherical gears (I think six) that all revolved when you turned only one. I realize that it was just a "proof of concept". However, to be able to print such an intricate device with moving parts on six different axes, contained within a housing from a single run is amazing to say the least...
Think, that if the "building blocks" instead of being polymers and epoxies were long chain protien molecules, LDL cholesterols (I think thats the "good" one) flavonoids (natural) etc........How would you like your ribeye, sir, medium rare?....
The possibilities are endless..........The future is "Star Trek" ...........Thank you Gene.

YouSir

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
oh I've been wanting a 3d printer for the longest time
the minute I get the funds that's what I'm doing with it!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I was referring to home 3D printing using the RepRap or similar.

reply to post by YouSir

This one of mine isn't much bigger than my laser printer, and it uses ABS for printing.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by mayabong

I was referring to home 3D printing using the RepRap or similar.

reply to post by YouSir

This one of mine isn't much bigger than my laser printer, and it uses ABS for printing.

Oh cool I'm sorry. Its awesome that you built one of those.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You would still be able to download objects, just not copy written

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
" It's like those scientists who say teleportation will be possible by scanning the structure of a person and then rebuilding them atom by atom at the other end. No one will be willing to do that, because it means the original copy of themselves must be destroyed."
Not really, why would they have to destroy the original? they could jjust make a copy atom for atom and leave original intact if they could "scan" the original without destroying it.
edit on 28-1-2012 by theyrout2getus because: trying to figure out how to quote

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Pred, kudos on yet another quality thread! 3d printing is just an amazing human accomplishment, there was a recent documentary by the bbc on this very subject. If i can get off my phone and on the pc i'll link it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This tech is evolving quickly. The leader in the field is Stratasys. I think everyone will be amazed of what they can now do.

Stratasys

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

These corporations do not follow the rules that you think they do. If it is decided that they will succeed, than that is what happens. If otherwise is indicated, well one need only look at the collapse of Lehman Bros. . That is why they fight back so hard when it comes to the capitulation of our natural resources, alternative energy sources (Tesla's was ruined because the Rockefellers found out that his system could not be metered), cures for diseases such as cancer and AIDS, etc. They all follow the same playbook. Gee I wonder why that is....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

reply to post by predator0187

Colleges already have 3d printers. A lot of times in architecture we print our final project in one. No need to build a model by hand. You just format the file, and press print.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

a little soon isn't it?

i can't really go to staples and pick up a 3D printer...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
HAHAHAH 20,000$.... well guess i wont be picking those up anytime soon..
just wait 7 years you'll be able to trade a full tank of gas for one
hahah not really but ha

edit on 28-1-2012 by WanderingThe3rd because: i missed the g in gas "as"

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

not positive but i think he was refering to them being able to make there own paraphanalia and accessories with said printer.....lol sure hope they cant make drugs or drug compounds with these products but i guess if they could fill it with a coc aine base they could ship the stuff anywhere disquised as tile and bricks for example.....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

a little soon isn't it?

i can't really go to staples and pick up a 3D printer...

No, but you can buy them on amazon for a couple grand.

Amazon.com

The one linked is basic, but it's still pretty badass considering the price and it's a desktop.
edit on 28-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This technology is relatively new and also not very cost effective. The devices themselves, plus the maintenance and the material used for "printing" is absurdly expensive. From what I remember a couple years back when I saw a prototype of a 3D printer, it somehow bonded granulated plastic "sand" together to form the objects. Printing time per job was pretty long, like hours for a small 2"x2" object, but the level of precision is unmatched. I wish this technology existed in a viable form when I was 10. I would have printed all the action figures I wanted lol.

I do remember when I was about 10 years old, my brother and I theorized that such a device would probably exist some day. We've both been avid futurists our entire lives.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join