It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Geographic–Apollo 13 "Situation Critical"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The world's most amazing space rescue in history. I am afforded the luxury of eating lunch at home everyday and the kitchen channel scans the 3 channels I most watch, I was able to catch the near hour conclusion of the amazing account of what went on during the Apollo 13 mission and hope you enjoy learning all that was overcome during this mission to save the lives of the resilient astronauts that returned home alive.

A part near the end of the episode I believe I heard them say, that the lengthy Lander engine burn after orbiting the moon propelled the craft in a way to cut the amount of time for the return trip, the part I'm not sure I heard correctly, is the part they said they reached somewhere like 37,000 mph. Now they may have said kilometers per hour, which would make some sense around 23,500 mph, and not knock Apollo 10 for the manned speed record.

I'll have to re-watch the last episode 5 of 5 I suspect. Here they are, hope you enjoy.

MSNBC also did a documentary called Apollo 13, the real story I haven't watched, here is part 1.

I thought the National Geographic one was interesting, revealing a couple of details I didn't know.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I watched a special on Apollo 13 about a month ago. I LOVE how they fixed it!
American ingenuity!

Great thread OP! Will enjoy watching this again!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Lived through it. Thanks for the links. I saw it long ago. The movie is pretty good and a faithful rendition of what happened, too.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I tried catching the Ron Howard movie from Youtube but quickly got annoyed at the short clips interrupted with advertising. My wife says I should be able to get it on demand, she says it's been running for years, I just don't get out much to theaters. Maybe I will look, it is Friday night and I have beer.

So far what I find missing is the psychological aspect of defeat missing. The fortitude of man to survive and not point blame but focus on a solution that one may not understand or even agree with at the time. Trust in support must reign primary, and think about it when it's over. But would you go down without trying anyway? Anything?

Truly remarkable. A human victory grasped from the jaws of defeat.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

You might also be interested in this:

"Apollo 13: The Real Story", Part 2

"Apollo 13: The Real Story", Part 3

And in part One of the Nat Geo video you posted, the narrator did indeed say "37,000 km per hour", not MPH.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Will we ever know the real story?
Will these men eventually give "Death Bed" accounts of what possibly happened?
Can we ever believe ANYTHING that any employee or contractor of the US Govt says?

Buzz Aldrin, has been brave enough to admit that they had "company" during their mission to the moon.
Neil Armstrong is suppose to have made the "their Huge, their all around us" comment on the moon.
Unfortunately, and rather suspiciously, he has been tight lipped about his great Tax payer funded, walk on the moon since. Maybe God did speak to him??

What Really happened to Apollo 13?

Apparently, (not official of course) AT 8.30PM on launch day April 11 1970, Apollo13 reported to Houston....
Apollo: "We have company"
Houston: "Say again"
Apollo: "I say, we have company".
SHort silence...
Houston: "You were told not to make transmissions such as that"...etc etc

Apparently Apollo 13 crew, photographed a UFO near the Moon.
During the journey back to Earth, Apollo 13 photographed 2 other UFOs travelling alongside.

On APril 10th, 18 hours b4 lift off, Norad tracked a large Cigar shaped object travelling thru Florida out to the ocean (Tho I believe this one to be our Underground Sauroid friends)
10 Hours b4 liftoff, fishermen near Cape Canaveral saw, and described in detail, 3 "Saucer" UFOs travelling towards land.

In the Chronicle of "The Planet Koldas" (circa 1986) tells of the transmissions from Koldasian craft, in Earths orbit, communicating with an Earth Family.
In the various transmissions, the Koldasians relate to the Apollo missions, an how they were aware of the Apollo 13 dilemma, and travelled with the Apollo 13 craft, communicated with the crew and Houston, and offered assistance to evacuate the craft.....which of course was denied. The Koldasians reported that the Apollo Crew also took photographs of the Koldasian Astrael craft, they could see them thru the port holes. At the time there were 3 Astrael craft near Earth (sound familiar). 2 were Koldasian, one was Byronnian. Their craft are saucers.

A few months after the Apollo 13 mission, the Koldasians told the Earth family what really happened with Apollo 13.........Apparently, they are quite angry (but in a nice way) with the stupidity of Earthlings, with regard to all the atomic satellites etc that orbited the Earth, AND with their instruments, were aware that Apollo 13 was carrying a nuclear device (bomb), that was to be exploded on the moon's surface, to detect seismic results etc (note: this was made public in the early 2000s).
The Byronnian Astrael craft, tried to "Neutralize" the device, but in doing so caused the explosion.......

Is this the real story??....Probably. ..Will we ever know for sure?? Probably not.

The "Koldasian" book was released in 1986.

The Apollo 13 info, I found on a web site around 2007.

This is not from my imagination, only what Ive found "Out There"... So dont blame me.

People can make their own determination as to the truth, or how they perceive it....

rune.galactic.to...

www.book-of-thoth.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Oh, where to begin???

Buzz Aldrin, has been brave enough to admit that they had "company" during their mission to the moon.

NO....what he saw were panels that were part of the Saturn 5.

This video, he explains it to Larry King:

Neil Armstrong is suppose to have made the "their Huge, their all around us" comment on the moon.

That is an Urban Legend, repeated unfortunately so often that many have come to believe it.

You can review ALL of the mission audio for Apollo 11 here......clicking on "Mission Audio" will open another link, this one.....care to find the part where Armstrong says any such thing, and "source" it??

BTW, here is the Main Page for the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal.

edit on Sat 28 January 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Funny how its taken 40 years to determine its now panels..

10 years ago, when he made the statement on a British TV doco, he said the Apollo crew contacted Houston and asked if any Saturn stages or whatever were near the Command module....Houston replied, No, they are 5 or 10 thousand miles away (cant remember the exact figure).....

Now they are the Flaps travelling right next to Apollo 11......right.....

I think they were half way to the moon at the time, the object was next to them for 24 hours or so, one would think they would know the difference, between a flying saucer and a flat panel.??

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
when he made the statement on a British TV doco, he said the Apollo crew contacted Houston and asked if any Saturn stages or whatever were near the Command module....Houston replied, No, they are 5 or 10 thousand miles away (cant remember the exact figure).....

Now they are the Flaps travelling right next to Apollo 11......right.....

I think they were half way to the moon at the time, the object was next to them for 24 hours or so, one would think they would know the difference, between a flying saucer and a flat panel.??

Instead of posting a urban myth, how about researching what actually was said....

To get the story straight, I called Buzz Aldrin, who was happy to explain what happened. He said that his remarks were taken out of context to reverse his meaning. It is true that the Apollo 11 crew spotted an unidentified object moving with the spacecraft as they approached the Moon. After they verified that this mystery object was not Apollo 11’s large rocket upper stage, which was about 6,000 miles away by then, they concluded that they were seeing one of the small panels that had linked the spacecraft to the upper stage (any part of the spacecraft’s rocket upper stage will continue to move alongside the spacecraft, as both are floating in free-fall). These panels were too small to track from Earth and were relatively close to the Apollo spacecraft. Aldrin told me that they chose not to discuss this on the open communications channel since they were concerned that their comments might be misinterpreted. His entire explanation about identifying the panels was cut from the broadcast interview, giving the impression that the Apollo 11 crew had seen a UFO.

www.csicop.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Will we ever know the real story?
Will these men...?
Can we ever...?
suppose(ed)...comment on the moon.
Maybe God did speak to him??
What Really happened to Apollo 13?
Apparently, (not official of course)
Apparently Apollo 13 crew.
Underground Sauroid friends
s this the real story??....Probably. ..Will we ever know for sure??

Probably not.

Is this what passes for knowledge these days? I don't even...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
A part near the end of the episode I believe I heard them say, that the lengthy Lander engine burn after orbiting the moon propelled the craft in a way to cut the amount of time for the return trip, the part I'm not sure I heard correctly, is the part they said they reached somewhere like 37,000 mph. Now they may have said kilometers per hour, which would make some sense around 23,500 mph, and not knock Apollo 10 for the manned speed record.
Thanks I've seen it before but it's worth re-watching.

They said 40,000 km/h around 4 minutes into the last part, as the re-entry speed into Earth's atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

So?....You dont even?????

Glad to see the "UFO" story has been all packaged up nicely now.....thank goodness.
Little Green Men indeed........

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

The first link is by Carl van Vlierden, a known ufo-ologist. The second link references photos and doesn't show or link them, I call that here-say.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I may also be interesting to find the documentary of the Apollo 12 lightning strike, and what the crew had to overcome to restart the power.

People keep referring to the unlikelihood of Apollo moon landings success the first tries without a hitch, no single Apollo mission success went down without a 'hitch'. Also what do they think AS-201, AS-203, AS-202, Apollo 1, Apollo 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and Apollo 10 were all about? Apollo 11 was far from the first try without a hitch. From the Jupiter C vehicle special modification of the Redstone ballistic missile designed, built, and launched by the Army Ballistic Missile Agency, to the Mercury Redstone, Mercury Atlas, to the Gemini, Gemini Titan, Thor and Atlas, to the Saturn I to Vs. Not just a build a Saturn V and cross your fingers.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

I'd like to see this too:

I may also be interesting to find the documentary of the Apollo 12 lightning strike, and what the crew had to overcome to restart the power.

Meanwhile, there is the dramatic re-creation from the HBO mini-series "From The Earth to the Moon".

A clip:

One thing I am curious about, as shown in the video clip, is whether or not that aural alarm that is heard is accurate, or if it was a "dramatic interpretation" by the film makers.

I know of various audio alerts on different models of airliners, but have no idea if any such things existed on the Apollo spacecraft. Would be interested to find out.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Its fairly accurate, Apollo 12 was struck, or caused, 2 separate lightning strikes, at 36 second in and 52 seconds in, it knocked all of the command module navigational systems out and was feared it may launch the abort rocket and parachutes of the command module, or disable them. From what I remember in the docu., Pete Conrad in the spacecraft had the idea to reboot, or go to aux, but like I said, I see parts of these during lunch, and don't recall such details, but some details just stick.

Anyway, this little video that doesn't cover much of the lightning, has several interesting details about the mission, the landing right next to a Surveyor, and the playboy picture smuggled into the flight notebook. It's a different take but interesting and inspiring.

new topics

top topics

join