It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia, the land of the Lower Class.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead
You hit the nail on the head. Over the last 20 years this country has been sold like cattle in a stock yard. State governments have sold State owned assets to corporations and fund their political agendas. The entire manufacturing industry (including automotive) is in shambles, the building industry is ruined because owning a home now cost more than 10 times a yearly wage & is out of reach a lot of people.

What it appears has happened is, the 1.5% of the population (upper class) has created 3% of the population (middle class) to manage a 95.5% of the population (lower class) slave labour force.
edit on 30/1/12 by spearhead because: toad

This is happening everywhere in a nearly identical manner. The middle class is being destroyed on a global scale: Globalism.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Funny you say that, I was talking to a cab driver asking about weekend work.
He said yeah no probs, you could probably pick up $200-$250 a day as a taxi driver.. just sit the course, responding to the add and drive.

Now that would be cool.

Radio, ON.
Maccas, ORDERED
arm out the window cruising chatting to customers... awesome

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

let us not forget the carbon tax effective on june 1
also the 10% increase in gst also effective as of june 1 totalling to 20% gst!!!!!!!!
wtf thats crazy.

Yet the politicians make cuts to baby bonuses by up to 50% and the next day get increases in their salary julia gillard now gets paid more than the american president????

is it just me or is this backwards?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by pixiekaram

I think you may have been led astray on the GST there.

There is no scheduled increase on July 1. It will be staying at 10%, I've not even heard of this mentioned anywhere.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   

...public on one side, Government on the other, considered as two distinct beings; the latter bound to bestow upon the former, and the former having the right to claim from the latter, all imaginable human benefits. What will be the consequence?

Government is not maimed, and cannot be so. It has two hands - one to receive and the other to give; in other words, it has a rough hand and a smooth one.

that good hand which gives and distributes, will be very busy under the government of the reformers. You think, perhaps, that it will be the same with the rough hand - that hand which dives into our pockets. Do not deceive yourselves. The aspirants after popularity would not know their trade, if they had not the art, when they show the gentle hand, to conceal the rough one.

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
Government
by Frederic Bastiat

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Well fella, you seemed to have missed the whole point of the thread. I guess its a reflection of your sad situation, thats my point. Go back 20 years before the suits and the share holders ran the joint and you would not have to live such a hard life, opportunity was everywhere.

Only a fool would base their self esteem on how much they earnt, and we all know how the maintenance thing is poorly run, it is ashame that the taxation office did not run our country at least then it would be run honestly and efficiently, but thats another story.

Under this current regime you probably will never own a home. Once upon a time in this country, every one had the opportunity to own a home, now its land land every where, but not a place to live!

And as for your dual citizen crap, get real matey, my blood lines have been buried in these soils for far to long. Long enough for me to have my own opinion, of my once great country. It is still a democracy isn't it and yes fella, I am well traveled in and out of Aussie. Sort your anger issues out mate :-)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Funny you say that, I was talking to a cab driver asking about weekend work.
He said yeah no probs, you could probably pick up $200-$250 a day as a taxi driver.. just sit the course, responding to the add and drive.

Now that would be cool.

Radio, ON.
Maccas, ORDERED
arm out the window cruising chatting to customers... awesome
Om the Gold Coast all the taxi drivers are indians . I noticed the same in Brisbane too. So tell me how this happened as Taxi driving used to be the domain of older men and students ?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I'd drive a taxi too but..... it's been said.
I like shoes. I'd sell shoes at Foot Locker! But i'm not an islander. I'd work at 7-11! But that speaks for itself.

Sections of industry have been cordened off for the average white guy. Yes I don't have a great deal of experience in much. I've worked the same job for nearly 10 years. Only because I never get accepted for any job.

But jobs here and jobs there. It's all BS! Why are we paying $1.50 per litre for fuel? That is $6 a gallon! The Aus dollar rides around 1.07$ US... There are questions that need to be asked. And those who ask should not be asked to leave the country. That is pure ignorance.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I didnt realise how much Aussies earned ,thats heaps .I could get by on 5000 a year ,if i didnt have kids ,or a car ,drink,smoke,gamble,pay rent ,eat out,go out..If i just sat in a shed that i owned and didnt pay rates ,just sat there ,chopped some firewood ,grew some and veges,waited for the rain,everything would be cool.
60 grand a year ,over a thousand a week,I would be living the highlife on that sort of money

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

one does have to just sit . used to be able to drive places but thats restricted now and used to be able to have my little fake eating out , a cappacino in a trendy cafe . have to keep walking past now , they want 4 dollors a cup now . insurance gets dropped , cant afford that . internet still survives .

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973
Hmmm, you have obviously have never travelled to sh#*tholes like Indonesia or most of Africa then. In those countries the people worry about just being able to eat, and being shot by the warring factions - not whether they can afford a house or the latest car.

Sure Australia could be better, but so could any place. A lot of people on other countries would give their right eye to live here. Look at how many boats full of those annoying illegal immigrants rock up - they wouldn't want to come here if it were no better than where they came from......
edit on 29-1-2012 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

Ahh another globalist, using the argument "other people have it worse" to Justify the poverty of Australians.

Take note, because if people fall for globalist traitors like this lovely little globalist, we will all end up as poor as the people the globalist tried to shame us into silence. You have to remember that the wealthy in the west envy the wealthy in the third world. Because the wealthy in the third world can literally pay people pennies to do anything they wanted. That is what people like the globalist want. For all of us to be so poor and hungry that we would be willing to live like employed house servants in the Philippines do.

Ignore the traitors who would shame you and all those you love and care about into slavery.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
After reading through this thread a few things need to be remembered i think.
For one Australia is a big country just because things are sweet economically in one state or area doesnt mean its the same all over the continent.For example trying to compare WA to place like nsw or vic maybe even qld is like apples and oranges.

Secondly blue collar type always like to assume others with aspirations to better themselves with education especially university education are wasting their time. This is the wrong attitude in my view and will not help Australians improve their standards of living or quality of life by arguments to the effect folks should settle for second best in terms of career potential.
Sure if the tough guys those with more brawn than brain wish to do hard yakka with their hands let them however they should not drag others down mob style in their macho pettyness (drinking, sport,fighting,utes,casual sex) this is a big problem in Australia ocker redneck attitudes which prevent the aspirational from advancing in their own chosen direction e.g. peer or mob mentality vs individuality.

As for calling pple suits may be lets not generalise maybe so much many in very ordinary call centres and low level office jobs still have to wear suits and even ties the whole lot.
Does this make them superior or high earning hardly this is pretty backward attitude.
Folks choose to be blue collar or white collar at the end of the day this should be a personal lifestyle choice not simply due to peers or family tradition when pple choose their calling for the latter its pretty sad and real dead end for their potential in life.
Lastly but not least lets not forget the difference between the city and the country(bush) were pple generally tend to go for manual labor jobs whether wealthy or not be cause it is the rural culture e.g. farmers, road workers are typical regional jobs. Too many generalisations being made in this thread. Also shows some posters havent travelled nearly enough not even within Australia.

edit on 27-6-2013 by Theprimordialocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Theprimordialocker

When I referred to "the suits" I was referring to the 'faceless ones' who pull the strings behind the political parties regardless of which Political Party is in power. I was a Painter and Decorator when I migrated here 46 years ago but when the @rse fell out of it and work became scarce I took a job on an asphalt road crew where I worked for 23 years retiring in 2003. I was earning 80,000 per year. Like many I bought a 'house in the bush' when I retired and my wife and I live well within our means on a full Australian Pension plus a small 'super' investment. Since Juliar came to power I have found the cost of living increases - and this from a so-called Labor Government - a little hard to encompass especially when my Water, Electric and Gas bills have just about doubled. Many self funded pensioners have now applied for a 'part pension' because interest rates have resulted in their investments yielding half of what they were a few years ago.
The "Land of Milk and Honey" has well gone.
Australia needs fixing. I cannot understand why fully qualified workers are out of work whilst Companies are allowed to bring people in from overseas on 'so-called' 467 temporary visa's using the excuse that they cannot find Australian's to do the job. Why have we so many unemployed yet continue to allow people who cannot speak English, have no trade qualifications whatsoever to set up their own communities in Australia and then take all the welfare they can get but will not work and demand to live under their own laws rather than those of Australia. Any Australian who complains is branded a racist!
Australia needs to get back on track with jobs but with the Automobile Industry closing down all over the Country, Orchardists having to destroy their fruit and now the Cattle Industry on it's knees I fear for this once great Country.
We have just seen a documentary on the 'sweat shops' of Bangladesh where people are working in terrible conditions manufacturing thousands upon thousands of garments and receiving $1.90 PER DAY. These garments are being sold in Australian major retail outlets for $50 to $60 each.
It is no wonder the Manufacturing and other Industries are on their knees here as they simply cannot compete.
I don't know what the answer is but I don't think overpopulating the Country will solve it.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by spearhead

That is perhaps the most ignorant thing I have read on this thread. Some one has a issue and they raise it and your reply is get out.....

Nah you haven't heard this yet.

Stop bitching. Educate yourself to improve your salary. Australia has been and still is and always wlll be the best place to live.

I personally am sick of people who complain about the the things they think they deserve.

Be strong . Be proud. Don't be an insipid pussy and settle for mediocrity.

Be the best you can be.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I didnt realise how much Aussies earned ,thats heaps .I could get by on 5000 a year ,if i didnt have kids ,or a car ,drink,smoke,gamble,pay rent ,eat out,go out..If i just sat in a shed that i owned and didnt pay rates ,just sat there ,chopped some firewood ,grew some and veges,waited for the rain,everything would be cool.
60 grand a year ,over a thousand a week,I would be living the highlife on that sort of money

With respect to the OP the high life is + $60K

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Your thread title is insulting. Even if I earn bugga all... I am not lower class. If you are going to base your self esteem on how much you earn then forget it. I am on an average wage. 37k maybe plus some perks.... but I work full time, pay maintenance but I don't agree that I am lower class.

As the OP states its about earnings, so from your description and in context of what the OP is on about Yes you are a lower class earning citizen.

Take it as an insult if you will, but its not self esteem that this thread is about which is actually confusing to me that you would say so or was that a stab at the OP?

What does self esteem have to do with lower, middle and upper class type living other than every one will have different levels of self esteem?

Are you insinuating that because OP said they were part of lower class society that they have a low self esteem?

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pixiekaram

also the 10% increase in gst also effective as of june 1 totalling to 20% gst!!!!!!!!

Maybe because I live in a cave,

but any links to this info?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join