It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X2-Class Solar Flare Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Been watching for a few days and didn't think it would go past high M Class but it sure did.

spaceweather.com...

X-FLARE: Departing sunspot 1402 unleashed an X2-class solar flare today, Jan. 27th, at 18:37 UT. Click on the image to view a movie of the extreme ultraviolet flash recorded by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory:

Sunspot 1402 is rotating onto the far side of the sun, so the blast site was not facing Earth. Nevertheless, energetic protons accelerated by the blast are now surrounding our planet, and an intensifying S1-class radiation storm is in progress.

SpaceWeather also states that although it isn't expected to do too much Earth wise, it isn't out of the expected to see some activity on Jan 28-29.

Imagine if this was directed right at us?

Great SOHO vid here:

spaceweather.com...

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
is that why it's 6 pm here and its still somewhat bright out? Am i losing it? Sunset was supposed to be 20 minutes ago.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I saw something about this earlier and the vids of it are amazing!

Something to keep an eye on...the sun is getting more active it seems!
edit on 27-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
While I know quite a bit about weather.....I know very little about space weather/solar flare effects (other then big one means bad, EMP like effects).

Is there a website with basic fatual information you would suggest?
edit on 27-1-2012 by SrWingCommander because: SP

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Mmmm...Solar Flare.........

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
We've had difficulty with two remote mouse connections (on separate computers) and my cell phone today...if it were just one I wouldn't see a connection but all three (no battery problems) I was thinking it was due to the ones earlier this week. Maybe even this one, or one that hasn't been reported.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for keeping up with the sun news. We should all be paying attention to what its doing these days.

Man I miss living in a place where I could see the northern lights. This past week has been pretty active.
If youve never seen them do ourself a favor, and keep an eye out. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The Bible says somewhere that the Sun will have permission to burn in the last days. I cant quote c&v. In Canada it has been the warmest winter ever. Its here, last days

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SrWingCommander
While I know quite a bit about weather.....I know very little about space weather/solar flare effects (other then big one means bad, EMP like effects).

Is there a website with basic fatual information you would suggest?
edit on 27-1-2012 by SrWingCommander because: SP

Absolutely!

www.spaceweather.com has everything you need.

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
is that why it's 6 pm here and its still somewhat bright out? Am i losing it? Sunset was supposed to be 20 minutes ago.

Not really something to do with a flare. Maybe your clock is off?

Peace

new topics

top topics

join