It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy, religion, women and equality. Justice demands affirmative action.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Democracy, religion, women and equality. Justice demands affirmative action.

Democracy, Religion and Secularism all talks a great line of freedom and equality for all. Our Western democracies and Religions preach this wonderful line; while at the same time forcing our women to walk behind our men and denying women true equality. True democracy and religions are then a sham. We have no working model, political or religious with true equality. We all contribute to this hypocrisy.

We point the finger at the East and their lack of equality with scorn, as we should; while ignoring the fact that we in the West are not doing as we preach or walking our talk. We men have yet to give our women the justice and equality they deserve. Our women have also been delinquent in their social duty by not being more forceful in their demands for equality and justice. Women lead the list of those that have historically been oppressed, thanks mainly to religions, and democracies and religions needs to acknowledge this real fact. They must enact affirmative action to be seen as working toward a truly just society.

It is time for men and women to recognize that what women have suffered enough discrimination and denigration without just cause long enough. We as societies have enacted affirmative action laws for the oppressed before. I think we should admit to the fact we have truly oppressed women and initiate new laws to move equality for women at a faster pace.

Both men and women have ignored basic social justice and we should all be ashamed of ourselves. You will feel this shame if you, male or female, have an ounce of social responsibility. We have a duty not only to ourselves but also to the coming generations.

Justice delayed is justice denied. Justice demands that we act and our women and female children are crying out for equality.

Affirmative action for women should be placed higher our social justice agendas. Both at the political level and religious level.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think a better policy would simply be to force an acknowledgement that both masculine and feminine characteristics are vital to humanity and both exist in differing quantities in each person and that there is nothing wrong with this.

But, for now, yes I think that such things need to be given, though lessened in coming years as the culture shifts. Critically lacking, though, is affirmative action in areas where men are typically passed over in favor of women, like child custody issues.
edit on 27-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the case still needs to be made. There are too many questions unanswered, but I'm sure you have answers for them.

You demand affirmative action in religion. Would that include female priests, Bishops, and Cardinals? A Female Pope? How in the world could this be implemented in the US? (Assuming we're talking about the US.) If that's not what you mean, then what do you mean?

You are concerned about female inequality in politics. Where? Nationally? Hillary Clinton, Condoleeza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, Sarah Palin, etc. Do you want a law saying a certain percentage of Senators must be women?

Are you asking for a change in laws? What law is needed that we don't have? What should society look like, not some vague platitudes, but specifically, do you want advanced degrees to be equally represented, public school teachers, professsional atheletes?

How does justice demand taking from one group and giving to another, especially if you're talking about our young people just leaving college? Why do we need to be mired in past discrimination, when the solution proposed is present discrimination?

Sorry, still confused.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to as women have had the same rights as men since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. (assuming we are talking about America) Also on a side note America isnt a democracy (assuming we are talking about America) it is a Constitutional Republic. America was founded as a Constitutional Republic and is still to this day a Constitutional Republic. America was founded on the ideals of Justice, Liberty and Equality so I really have no idea of what you are speaking of.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I think a better policy would simply be to force an acknowledgement that both masculine and feminine characteristics are vital to humanity and both exist in differing quantities in each person and that there is nothing wrong with this.

But, for now, yes I think that such things need to be given, though lessened in coming years as the culture shifts. Critically lacking, though, is affirmative action in areas where men are typically passed over in favor of women, like child custody issues.
edit on 27-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

I agree and think all the various discriminations would surface if and when we had the national dialog on affirmative action.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, the case still needs to be made. There are too many questions unanswered, but I'm sure you have answers for them.

You demand affirmative action in religion. Would that include female priests, Bishops, and Cardinals? A Female Pope? How in the world could this be implemented in the US? (Assuming we're talking about the US.) If that's not what you mean, then what do you mean?

You are concerned about female inequality in politics. Where? Nationally? Hillary Clinton, Condoleeza Rice, Nancy Pelosi, Sarah Palin, etc. Do you want a law saying a certain percentage of Senators must be women?

Are you asking for a change in laws? What law is needed that we don't have? What should society look like, not some vague platitudes, but specifically, do you want advanced degrees to be equally represented, public school teachers, professsional atheletes?

How does justice demand taking from one group and giving to another, especially if you're talking about our young people just leaving college? Why do we need to be mired in past discrimination, when the solution proposed is present discrimination?

Sorry, still confused.

I do not have all the answers. I am an idea man. Not a detail man and would leave those to those who would initiate the dialog when all the information is at hand.

That said and speaking for religion as well as the political, all the participants would have to decide how to get both the church and government hierarchies to move.

Church discrimination is obvious and if pew sitters will not rise up then they can remain as is with a church fracturing more and more every day.

As to governments, they are slowly being forced to act and eventually will legislate A A thanks to public pressure. I just think it too damned slow to deal with things like what follows.

www.pay-equity.org...

Further.

www.cbc.ca...

You will note that there are heavy costs in fighting for rights nowadays. The average individual does not have much of a chance but under an A A system, if it agrees with a plaintive, it could initiate a class action that would be quite far reaching.

That is why I propose it.

Regards
DL

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by I Want To Believe
reply to post by Greatest I am

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to as women have had the same rights as men since the Civil Rights Act of 1964. (assuming we are talking about America) Also on a side note America isnt a democracy (assuming we are talking about America) it is a Constitutional Republic. America was founded as a Constitutional Republic and is still to this day a Constitutional Republic. America was founded on the ideals of Justice, Liberty and Equality so I really have no idea of what you are speaking of.

Rights in law do not mean rights in reality.
Do women have the right to earn equal pay for equal work with men? Sure they do.
Look at the reality.

www.pay-equity.org...

Discrimination is against the law as well. Look at the reality.

www.youtube.com...

If affirmative action was in place, all those presently getting screwed financially or for the other discrimination I show above, they could go to an affordable tribunal and has redress.

Today they have nothing.

Regards
DL

top topics

join