It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is a French foreign legion soldier going into Ohio capitol building?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I have heard of, but know little about, the FFL.. so in my effort to deny ignorance, I googled

This is the first article I found and quite enlightening:

Hollywood:

Formed in 1831 by Louis Philippe to enforce French rule in newly-acquired Algeria, it developed into a collective exercise in convenient amnesia, acquiring a reputation as a haven for cut-throats, crooks and sundry fugitives from justice. Few questions were asked of new recruits, making it an ideal repository for the scum of the earth. And with the scum came the romantics, men searching for a way to dull the pain of doomed love.

Reality:

The Legion’s image as a haven for ne’er-do-wells is largely out of date. Now, aspiring recruits are subjected to detailed background checks via Interpol.

"We don’t accept the hardened criminals any more, the murderers or rapists," says Capt Samir Benykrelef, "so this makes our job easier."

Well, that's a step up, but wait:

But there is still a hint of romance: all recruits must assume a new name on joining the Legion. This is because some recruits do indeed want a new start and new identity, and it is fairer to make all new Legionnaires undergo the same process.

Hmmmm, men of mystery... Or...

"We call the new entrants Generation PlayStation because they’re so soft. Now we’re taking the ex-husbands running from alimony, and all these guys with university degrees."

Men dodging the realities of their current life, looking for a new start. Guess it's a good thing that they can apply for French citizenship, complete with new identity after three years.

So, OP - maybe the guy you saw is a romantic-adventurer looking for a new start and willing to spend some time in Africa... who was home on a visit.

edit on 29-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Why can not a French foreign legion soldier go into Ohio capitol building?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join