It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s Pulls Chemically Treated Beef From Burgers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Damn that's rough, That's not good
It happens everywhere.

edit on 27-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Great news!

I fear that they're just going to send the already tainted beef over to their McD's over seas.

They may have been able to get away with this for so long because ammonia and water is used to grow plants extra large because it is a source of nitrogen.
secure.wikimedia.org...

Before the start of World War I, most ammonia was obtained by the dry distillation[19] of nitrogenous vegetable and animal waste products, including camel dung, where it was distilled by the reduction of nitrous acid and nitrites with hydrogen

In certain organisms, ammonia is produced from atmospheric nitrogen by enzymes called nitrogenases. The overall process is called nitrogen fixation. Although it is unlikely that biomimetic methods that are competitive with the Haber process will be developed, intense effort has been directed toward understanding the mechanism of biological nitrogen fixation. The scientific interest in this problem is motivated by the unusual structure of the active site of the enzyme, which consists of an Fe7MoS9 ensemble.

Ammonia is also a metabolic product of amino acid deamination catalyzed by enzymes such as glutamate dehydrogenase 1. Ammonia excretion is common in aquatic animals. In humans, it is quickly converted to urea, which is much less toxic, particularly less basic. This urea is a major component of the dry weight of urine. Most reptiles, birds, insects, and snails excrete uric acid solely as nitrogenous waste.

I guess they figured humans will excrete it quickly, so where's the harm in feeding us biproducts?
Yuk!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
As long as they don't touch the McRib the world will be safe!
Please tell me that they won't modify the McRib!

Mmmmhh..... processed pork stuff.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Now I want a big mac
Maybe they'll change the chicken next.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Is the McRib made of pork?
If so: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by tvtexan

Is the McRib made of pork?
If so: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kinda the point there slick...
Kudos for appreciating the obvious!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Wow, good work Jamie Oliver! I remember watching that show where he showed how they processed the meat with ammonia, it was completely revolting. They'll never admit Jamie planted the seed that led to change... but clearly he did.

Now we just need to get this damn flouride out of the water.
edit on 27-1-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Now if we can get them to stop using that "strawberry ice cream goo" they call "chicken" for nuggets we'll be doing good. They've rolled out this popcorn chicken called popables, or whatever for a limited time, but what I'd love to see happen is they chuck their nuggets and replace them with the popables. Hell, even if they take a chicken breast, use a cookie cutter and cut shapes with that, bread and lightly fry, bake, whatever, even that would make me a happy camper. Food should look like food.

This is enough to make me go on a Manna from Heaven and Water diet.

(What the FDA "allows" in your food.
www.huffingtonpost.com...&title=Pizza_Sauce_30
)
edit on 27-1-2012 by happyhomemaker29 because: Don't know if anyone has seen this before, but for those who haven't thought you might find it interesting. I've been off of pork products since a high school expiriment where we left an unopened package of raw pork out for a few days on a counter to see what would happen. Scarily enough, flies developed. Inside the package. This was 20 years ago. I haven't had loin, chops or anything resembling it since. I'm scared to do anymore expiriments because I'd run out of things to eat! LOL

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Appreciate the post...thought about having McD's today...and now I won't. That's horrible, eating poison
*S&F*

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Bleh. I think i'm gonna puke.

Ew. Just....EW.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
eeew that is sooo gross, people should know better than to eat there.i wont eat if i have to eat there.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
We all need to remind ourselves.

The article says some fast food restaraunts are discontinuing the use of the Ammonia beef.

But what about all the rest of the beef ?

How do you certify in your own mind that you are eating the "un-processed" beef ?

The beef suppliers will do this for you ?

from the WSJ 2009 article:

With the U.S.D.A.’s stamp of approval, the company’s processed beef has become a mainstay in America’s hamburgers. McDonald’s, Burger King and other fast-food giants use it as a component in ground beef, as do grocery chains. The federal school lunch program used an estimated 5.5 million pounds of the processed beef last year alone.

Bigger Questions Are Before You

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Here is some more fuel for thought:

January 4, 2010 10:00 AM -- The Consumerist

Thanks to findings presented by the New York Times, the USDA took away an exemption from routine testing it had given to meat from Beef Products, Inc., which supplies ammonia-injected beef to grocery stores and fast food chains including McDonald's and Burger King.

The Times found that some nasty stuff was popping up in the ammonia-injected meat:

But government and industry records obtained by The New York Times show that in testing for the school lunch program, E. coli and salmonella pathogens have been found dozens of times in Beef Products meat, challenging claims by the company and the U.S.D.A. about the effectiveness of the treatment. Since 2005, E. coli has been found 3 times and salmonella 48 times, including back-to-back incidents in August in which two 27,000-pound batches were found to be contaminated. The meat was caught before reaching lunch-rooms trays.

Read This !
USDA Not So Sure Ammonia-Injected Beef Is Safe

This makes me believe that the whole Ammonia thing was Money-Motivated, not for genuine health reasons by intellectuals and "experts" !!

The psychopaths have an agenda

and it ain't for your "protection" !

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I love the Consumerist website. Another good one GIzmodo shows the lovely Strawberry goo Chicken Nuggets. Yum.

gizmodo.com...

Ammonia soaked pink goo chicken anyone?

(I try to get my daughter to take home lunches, sometimes she will but sometimes the lure of eating school food is just too damn much. Ugh! The only thing I liked 20 years at school was canned spinach and I hate canned anything. lol)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Let's see I remember years ago McDonald's got in trouble because they were using worm meat in their hamburgers and I am fairly sure everyone remembers that the McDonald's in Australia where using kangaroo meat now it's ammonia. Just another food group.(Sarcasm ).

I went to Taco Bell a couple months ago and I swear my tacos smelled ammonia like. I couldn't eat them.

My question is what would they be putting in it if there was no FDA? It seems they fixed it this time but that's only because it was brought to the public's attention. I know this much if they have not come out and and said they were fixing the problem I would never eat there again. It's not like it taste that good to begin with it's just cheap food.

What happened to the good old days when you only had to worry about if they spit in it?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I don't understand why so many people in the world consume that Fast Food crap. Logically thinking one has to wonder, how they are able to sell their products at those cheap prices and still make a profit. It is because of extremely low quality - yet people 'love' this #

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Ugh! Too early in the morning to be reading about how the McDonalds meat is made!

Thanks so much for posting this! S & F for you!

I stopped eating McDonalds a year ago whenI had to go gluten free. I imagine I may live a little longer now....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hmmm fast food really has been getting a lot of bad press lately. It makes me wonder if something else is coming down the pike. I came across this article today of a 17 year old girl who is literally killing herself because she will only eat Chicken McNuggets.

Teen girl slowly dying from her mcAddiction

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

What a crazy deal !!

That HAS to be a one-of-a-kind !!

I wonder what the psychiatrists call it ?

I'd hate to see somebody use that as a selling tool

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

How terrible!

Seems as though McNuggets are deadly and addictive.
Here's a thread I did about a woman who was willing to turn tricks for the great McNuggets.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join