It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First 2012 X-Flare. The sun is waking up!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here we go :

The sun is getting more and more active as we are heading for the next solar maximum, expected to start somewhere in the autumn of 2012 and last to spring 2013.

A few days ago we had a "near" X-flare, we now have the first X flare for 2012.

Source:
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
edit on 27-1-2012 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Energy! Thanks for sharing it will be interesting to see its effects if any on EArth..
edit on 1/27/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Thanks for that info, now lets see all those dumb posts to come making jokes about it and saying it's all normal.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

It's all normal!

Wow...good catch OP...thanks for posting it!

Let's see what happens...any idea when we should start seeing the flare hitting earth or is it even coming our way?
edit on 27-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Any word yet as to the direction of the flare and/or which sunspot it originated from?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Something like....
Oh it's only an x flare .....its the Zed flares that are the real problem ?

Peace

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
just bearly reaching a X1. looking forward to what this solar maximum will bring!! will be the first i get to observe

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Can't wait to see SDO picture of it, but they update so slowly

I think SDO got it in X-ray:

Here is SOHO image of it, looks dramatic

edit on 27-1-2012 by Thebel because: SOHO LASCO Image

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Erm, it is normal.

Abnormal would be an extremely quiet sun...kinda like what we've had the last 2 years...

And it's not earth directed as far as I can tell.

Thanks for calling me dumb btw!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Thanks for that info, now lets see all those dumb posts to come making jokes about it and saying it's all normal.

Well, to be totally honest...There is really nothing unusual about this and I'm not just poking fun by saying that. We're approaching the peak of a solar maximum that tops in the 1-2 Quarter of 2013. I'd be surprised if we didn't see this activity happening.

Having said that...NOW I'm interested. M- flares and CME events have left me amused to watch the news media cry warnings like Chicken Little come to life. Once we're into X- stuff though, it's at least worth being aware of.

Now...Let's see an X-10 + and I'll very suddenly find a deep fascination with exploring some of the deeper cave systems in Missouri for the day. After all, I've always wanted to see some of them, and being deep below the surface during the resulting splash against our atmosphere isn't a bad idea if the scale runs that high or higher for what is yet to come.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by Trueman

It's all normal!

Let's see what happens...any idea when we should start seeing the flare hitting earth or is it even coming our way?

Hahaha....yeah!.....you know, some people will wait till a big boom happens under their butts (like the one in your avatar).

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, this was surprising event. Spaceweather.com had only 1% change for X-Class eruption. Sun can always surprise

X-FLARE: Departing sunspot 1402 unleashed an X2-class solar flare today, Jan. 27th, at 18:27 UT. The blast site was not facing Earth at the time of the eruption. Nevertheless, a radiation storm is possible. Stay tuned for updates. Spaceweather.com

edit on 27-1-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Haha....Chad brother....no way I can call you dumb

Just messing around

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

It's all normal!

Hahaha....yeah!.....you know, some people will wait till a big boom happens under their butts (like the one in your avatar).

Actually if you look close...its a fluffy clown!

I really am curious if anyone knows the trajectory of this flare...and if earth is going to see some effects!

There will definitely be some effects for sure...even if they are just nice auroral lights!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
My theory is that the sun is actually a giant flaming pokeball, i have illustrated the agressive shape of the suns attack on planet earth.

edit on 27-1-2012 by RenegadeScholar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Trueman

It's all normal!

Actually if you look close...its a fluffy clown!

I really am curious if anyone knows the trajectory of this flare...and if earth is going to see some effects!

There will definitely be some effects for sure...even if they are just nice auroral lights!

Well, all I can say is thank you ATS for the best years of my internet life. Gonna need penpals soon.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I have felt weird all day, almost like an uncontrollable rage and it's getting worse as the day progresses. Can anyone else feel it? I have had a week that is relatively stress free so I have no reason to be feeling like this.

I always get like this during solar activity.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
i do not think it will be Earth-directed , however we could get a few "spikes" in the solar wind . Patience lol, 2012 will be fun and we will have enough Xflares to be Earth directed

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Trueman

Erm, it is normal.

Abnormal would be an extremely quiet sun...kinda like what we've had the last 2 years...

RLMAO!
excellent come back

And it's not earth directed as far as I can tell.

aww was hoping to maybe see at least a smidgin of auroras from here in the Caribbean
maybe next time.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth4Thought
I have felt weird all day, almost like an uncontrollable rage and it's getting worse as the day progresses. Can anyone else feel it? I have had a week that is relatively stress free so I have no reason to be feeling like this.

I always get like this during solar activity.

Funny, I've been feeling real happy all day with no real reason to be. The sun has turned us into opposites!!! lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join