It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid makes near-miss fly-by

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was just taking a look at a different thread's link just now and saw this in the side-bar:

Asteroid makes near miss fly-by

An asteroid hurtled past the Earth on Friday in something of a cosmic near-miss, making its closest approach at about 1600 GMT.

Granted, it was only 36 ft in size so it wouldn't be considered a catastrophic event, but none the less, shouldn't we know about this? Guess that's how quick it could really be huh? Like the snap of your fingers.

I wonder if this has any correlation to the sounds people have been hearing? Considering this one came in at a distance of 30,000 km. Closer than the one last June.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
near miss? don't they mean near hit? What the hell english?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So its 30,000km (18,600 miles) away and 11 metres in diameter about the same length as a lorry with a trailer and it might have something to do with the noises heard around the world?

I doubt it...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yeah...These surprisingly happen all the time. More often than most people realise. There was all the talk of the one a couple of months ago coming closer then the moon to the planet, but this one was even closer than that one I think. And....when I checked the name....they had only just noticed this little rock this year. Just before it went zooming by us.

I just looked this up again...it wasn't even the one I was originally thinking of. This one is today. It's only 37,183 feet from Earth. AND the condition code is a 5. Basically means they really are just guessing as to where it is going.. Nice catch..this is the first I heard of this. I thought you meant last Friday at first.. My chart is showing 42 feet in size...either way...this really is a near miss. The closest I've seen something in a while to us. Way closer to us than some think Apollo 11 got to the moon!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
In order to cause serious changes or trigger an Earthquake you need at least 500 km wide/long object hitting the ground. Even a 50-100 meter object will cause no such thing.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

True, but a 42 foot wide asteroid isn't probably gonna disintegrate fully on entry were it to hit. It might break up and if that happened over a city is could cause some pretty decent havoc.

If it didn't really break up and hit the ocean, an asteroid the size of a double wide trailer is gonna cause a tidal wave.
I think the point here wasn't so much that we were just missed by a 40 foot or so rock. I think the overall point is we were indeed just missed by a 40 foot rock and we really didn't know about it until last week, or earlier this week. There are plenty more where this one came from.

They have before, and will again hit us.

On Jan 31st there is gonna be a 55,774 foot or 17,000 meter rock come by. It's gonna be pretty far out, almost 27 million kilometres or about 16 million miles. That one's a pretty hefty rock. And there are others. Many many others out there. Today's didn't even mess with the tides I bet, but one day one will mess with way more than that.

This is a very real threat. and the world itself....puts almost NO resources into looking for these. Most are found by amateur astronomers.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Something similar happened in 2002. 2002 MN was approximately 100m across and missed Earth by 120,000 km, well inside the moon's orbit.

The asteroid was not detected until 3 days after it passed Earth. Murphy's Law was in full effect since it approached Earth from the sun AND from behind the moon and was not detected.

had it hit Earth the event would have been "Tunguska-like," with a force rivaling the largest H-bombs.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

Seriously, we need more telescopes looking for these things. They should not be based only on Earth, but in high orbits around Earth and on the dark side of the moon. But I hear funding for such endeavors is hard to get. So TPTB would rather react to a catastrophe than try to avoid it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I will never HIT the EARTH or Moon,,
too much debre,, from the rubble now in Key Hole Orbit,,,

lol
of course it would also have too get past, all those falling satelites, and the rest,,
lol
never make it.

Me.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

I remember that one very, very well.
I am glad someone else does too.

And by the way, there were FOUR asteroids that flew by the Earth this week, and there will be another one soon.

spaceweather.com...

top topics

join