It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God kicked off airlines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I had no idea Alaska Airlines did this in the first place. I'm not christian, but I support freedom of religion, which means ALL religions.

religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Although there is a quote i find a bit funny

.......many of you who believe religion is inappropriate on an airplane,

Personally, if I'm in a metal tube 30,000 feet in the air, traveling at 500 Mph, I do believe it is an appropriate time to be religious.

“We believe it's the right thing to do in order to respect the diverse religious beliefs and cultural attitudes of all our customers and employees.”

This bothers me that a religion can be suppressed in the name of religion.

As I stated, I am not christian, but I dont see how someone would be offended by a card with a bible verse on it.

Are there people here on ATS that would find that simple card offensive?

If you would perceive this is offensive, can you tell me why?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Of course its offensive, my religious beliefs are being attacked when I get a tiny card with a nice picture and A BIBLE VERSE with my meal. What are they trying to do, force religion down my throat along with the crappy food they pass off as 'first class fare'?!?!? *scoff*

/sarcasm

Truly I think it's a waste of someone's time to complain about something so trivial as a piece of paper. I don't see why any sane person would exert the energy to do so, even if their religious beliefs differed it's not like they were giving you a copy of the bible and forcing you to read it and turn in a report at the end of the flight or they wont let you off...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ArrowsNV

I agree with you, but it appears there were people who actually complained.

“At the same time, we've heard from many of you who believe religion is inappropriate on an airplane, and some are offended when we hand out the cards.”

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Personally, I wouldn't care one way or another, and I'm not a Christian, either. Granted, I was raised in an ubber-Christian environment, and I'm so used to Jesus-this and Jesus-that I don't even really pay it much attention.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Considering the diverse religions and the various discrepancies between those religions (not to mention the wars that have been fought over religion) I can't say I'm surprised at this. If I had to choose between freedom of religious discussion, and the safety of everyone aboard the plane, I wouldn't even have to think about it. Safety rules above speech.

I'm pretty sure if you had to choose between keeping your mouth shut and staying alive or opening your mouth and having some Buddhist or Muslim or any other zealot come at you with some pliers, you'd like to keep the arguments for another time.

A religious squabble on an airplane, in the name of the Lord, when you could have discussed it over coffee is not, in my opinion, worth dying for. After all, when did the Bible ever say, "Thou must pick fights with heathens on flying machines!"

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So... people actually, give acrap, about 'that'...
Why... !

seriously...

they are givin a pice of paper, with words on it, that may or may not be, uplifting... (or annoying)
and they actually complain... ?

cant they find something productive to be P!$$ed about... ?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

If they are fanatical enough to be set off by a card, don't you think they are rather unsafe in the first place?

What if someone sits next to them holding a bible, or wearing a cross?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I would be absolutely offended by some flight attendant handing a Judea/Christian prayer card!

First of all its religious pandering to a captive audience, and secondly, it plays into and feeds the fear of flying that many people suffer.

Doesn't Alaska have the highest record of plane crashes?
edit on 27-1-2012 by windword because: ocd

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I hope they don't ban bibles. International flights are a pretty good time to read it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I guess I can see your point with the captive audience. Thank you for the insight.

As far as the fear of flying......wouldn't that be sort of a 50/50 thing? I think many would find it comforting.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
I hope they don't ban bibles. International flights are a pretty good time to read it.

Well i don't think personal read is going to harm anyone, this article is about "forcing" everyone to read another religion's scripture. i

I think it would be the same as when you buy a new car.. there is a card inside saying "may -insert a god here- bless this car", what if someone don't believe in that god?

*forcing as in, "in your face", with your meal, so you have to glance at it... someone might be expecting something else like "glad your enjoying our flight, enjoy these nice meal as well" but instead, they teach you about some religion you not familiar with.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I would probably just glance at the card, and ask them if they thought we were going to NEED a prayer during the flight. If they thought we were really going to NEED this prayer card, I would likely ask if they had more, maybe one from every religion out there. Just in case.

There are no atheists when the plane is plummeting to the ground. I'd be praying to any entity/being that anyone has ever thought to exist.
Even the dude downstairs that runs that furnace.

If we weren't plummeting to the ground, it would make a handy bookmark.

People get so silly about such things. Such control freaks. One would think there are more important issues to complain about, like the airline food

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I watched this yesterday, and had some time to think about this, before reading your post.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Good one!

Yes, I would happily accept the bible verses, if they were on a parachute.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that.

I HATE that they do this.
We have The View in Canada, yet we're not allowed to watch the video!!!!

OK, rant over.
Not your fault WindWord, I'm just ranting about stupid censorship laws.
I don't understand why we have American channels to watch on tv, yet we cannot watch the videos of the same thing.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Thanks for the vid.
I had a good laugh over it.

OK, so I can see the fear of flying point of view.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Maybe one of these links will work for you. Stupid YouTube!

ABC The View
HULU

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I might be a little offended if there was a bible quote thrust into my seat in an airplane, but not much. I would just disregard it.
I can see why someone might be offended though. It could be taken as the company trying to push religion onto the passengers. It also could spark a "conversation" on religion between passengers which could get out of hand pretty fast.
I see some great pranks pulled by the pilot. Imagine hitting some bad turbulence and hearing the pilot saying over the intercom "Please use the cards in front of you to follow along as I pray for us all" or something like that.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Thanx, the first link worked

Our censorship laws are very stupid up here, they need to protect us from The View on the internet, yet after 9:00 pm, some of the tv channels don't even censor swearing

I tend to agree with Whoopi, if you get something like that, maybe they're expecting that you'll need it.

I'd probably have a free drink instead, maybe a really big drink if I thought we were going down.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I fly Alaska most of the time. They haven't had those cards in coach for years. I never missed them and forgot about them. This is all about First Class. Alaska flys 737s which have 16 First Class seats per airplane. So this is all about 16 seats??? I'm surprised anyone noticed.

top topics

join