It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Believers are the Definition of Sheeple

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
define belief in :
a magical bearded old man in the sky
a single living cell created what occupies a planet
Love
life after death
the moon is a space ship with aliens living on it.
man landed on the moon
marriage
monogamy
Country
man is the most intelligent life form on Earth......the Universe
The End
The Bible
The Koran
The Kabbalah
The Torah
The Mayan END of Time known to all mankind
Is there a 14th Baktun? Prove it!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Rather than pick sides on this subject - I choose to research what is known and to just dismiss things out of hand Is a sign of a closed mind- I am attempting to learn what is truly happening.
The Sun will be crossing the celestial equator (Milky Way) on 21st Dec 2012 just below the Galactic Centre.
Sounds really amazing yet since approx 1998 it has been crossing the Galactic Centre and was closer then than now as the Sun is gradually transiting away from the centre and takes approx 36 years to complete this crossing.
The centre of the Milky Way appears as as dark rift - This is what the Mayans refer to - Rather than use the visible stars and constellations as markers - the Mayans used the dark areas of the Milky Way giving them animal names which they resembled such as Lama.
To simply think our modern science is the be all and end all is to be closed minded and insults the intelligence of our ancestors.
I know some new agers have overlayed their personal agenda or imaginings onto such an event yet on the other hand some who mereley parrot what main stream academics say is so are also guilty of ignorance.
I am guilty of being inconclusive and I await to see what the future brings but judging by the pattern of events so far things are coming to some sort of head with us lot the Human Race.
Who now trusts governments and so called experts certainly not I

edit on 28-1-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2012 by artistpoet because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

The only reference we have to the end of the 13th baktun from the Classic Period is Totuguero Monument 6. This does not mention any kind of end of time. On the other hand we have examples like the one found in the Temple of Inscriptions at Palenque that reference events that will occur in 3,000 years. So yes there is a 14th baktun and many more that come after. I say this because we also have examples like Quirigua Stela D that refer to events that will occur more than 400 million years in the future.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity Xcalibur, do you know personally that all your information is true and correct? Have you gone down to Quintana Roo or the Yucatan or anywhere else the Maya lived and studied their culture? Were you there when the Spanish arrived and witnessed them corrupt the Maya's beliefs? Did you hear the Spaniards say, "Ok, we're gonna blend our beliefs with theirs and the world will never know the truth!!!" Or are you just an armchair scientist like the rest of us?

Me thinks you post way too much at all times of the day to really be conducting any kind of REAL research. Which mean you know just as much as the rest of us "sheeple". You didn't really need to start a thread to get peoples attention on the subject, you've flooded enough threads with your information as it is. And still, no one seems to be listening. What harm is it to you if people believe in 2012? Do you see a 2012 thread and rabies starts flowing through your system and you just might go on a rampage if the wrong 2012 thread pops up during a full moon?

People will listen when they want to listen. Shouting from the rooftops day in and day out just makes people weary of you and your info. Making a thread and insulting people will only push people farther away.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I 100% agree with the OP. I agree with the title, and the post.
I find it worrying that so many people believe this, considering the
lack of evidence and the people lying to sell books.

I think its dangerous because so many people believe this. From
people who believe something great is going to happen, to the
people who believe the world will end.The people who belive something
great will happen will be very disapointed when nothing happens.
Maybe get depressed, suicidal etc. And the people who believe the world
will end must be a nervous wreak.

At the end of the day, nothing will happen.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Do you believe something will happen on the 21st december 2012?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The point is that the motto of ATS is "Deny Ignorance." There is absolutely no data that supports the Maya placing any special influence on 2012. The closest you come are texts that were written as Christian propaganda. Therefore, to believe in 2012 without any evidence of any kind is embracing ignorance. People can believe in 2012 all they want but when they come to a site that promotes critical thinking they should be prepared to be called out on it. And once again this thread isn't directed only towards 2012 believers. It's directed towards the entire site. People put too much trust in fringe sources while completely disregarding the mainstream sources. If people were truly denying ignorance they would have no problem looking at both sides, and yet I have seen people on here outright refuse to look at data that didn't support their viewpoint. If you want ATS to become just like GLP that's your opinion. I and many others however would like to see it once again become a bastion of sanity and level-headedness in the insane world of conspiracy websites.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

I have been called one of the sheeple hundreds of times on ATS and none of those posts have been removed. You think that is an insult? I think it is a category made up by those that cannot think for themselves. It is spoken by those that cannot take the time to evaluate their own positions.

It certainly got your attention and the attention of those that starred your post. I suggest that took the time to star your post might want to learn why 2012 is a hoax. What interests me is how trivial it is to convince many people by telling outright lies.

In another thread a poster has lied about everything from how the year is determined to the contents of the bible to just everything they have posted. I am sure there are many readers that have taken these obvious falsehoods as facts. A little checking would show them the untruthful nature of the posts. Do they? I doubt it.

I have been corrected many times at ATS and it has never been by 2012 believers. It has always been by those pointing out that the claims of 2012 are lies.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonNova

Now, the whole world ending December 21st? That's last years crap man, we have much better theories now.

Last year's "crap" has been replaced with this year's "crap." Are these claims, which you call theories, any better? No. They are still as you say "crap."

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well this years roller coaster ride of unprecedented events just wouldn't be the same if you are asleep dont you think? Baaaa

edit on 29/1/2012 by DanielET because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

You probably won't catch much love for this thread but you definitely SHOULD. This kind of thing needs to be said far more often here on ATS.

In my time studying fringe topics I've moved inexorably from believer toward skeptic on almost everything. This isn't because I was swayed by mainstream opinions rather because the fringe topics fail to provide conclusive solid evidence of what they are proposing. 2012 was much like that. When I first heard of it I was intrigued, concerned, and hooked on researching it, but eventually when I'd run down EVERY single claim of the believers in search of evidence they all turned out to be bunk.

People have too much faith in alternative sources of information, they ASSUME based on NOTHING that because a source isn't in bed with the mainstream it's automatically more valid and HONEST. What they need to be taught is that simply because a source doesn't espouse mainstream opinions doesn't mean they are honest or aren't out to con you out of money.

Not only is the "science" behind 2012 non-existent but 2012 itself is a New Age pseudoscience CON JOB of the highest order. They are creating fear, hysteria and potentially driving people to hurt themselves and others.

To quote myself from an article I once wrote about why 2012 was so different,:

Yes, there are people out there considering killing themselves because some con-job morons wanted to make a quick buck off the gullible. Most pseudoscience is entirely harmless, nobody is out there killing themselves over Bigfoot or Nessie, at least I hope not but this 2012 thing is not. Not only are people being driven to suicide but there are other serious consequences. Some have spent thousands or even millions on doomsday bunkers stocked with food specifically for 2012. It’s not just survivalists who do this stuff as a hobby or people who just want one just in case there are people being sold bunkers specifically for 2012 purposes. And how much panic and emotional stress has all this hysteria created? All so that some con-men could make a quick buck. That is why I hate to see well-intentioned otherwise intelligent individuals defend 2012, they are perpetuating the madness started by these snake oil salesmen.

Source

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

So here you are questioning the material posted by XCalibur254.

Do you ever question the 2012 material?
Do you ever do research?
Do you visit threads just to comment on other posters? This makes the 3rd post in a row in the 2012 forum in which you have done exactly that.

What is odd is that you criticize people for doing actual research and sharing it. I like to read XCalibur254's posts. They are informative and they give me a chance to get the information right before I make a mistake. I do not accept anything they post. I check it out myself as XCalibur254 would expect me to do.

Try it. You might like it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think 2012 is like a lot of bad TV sitcoms.

It is people acting irrationally as they try to handle a situation they misunderstand.

An example in a sitcom: Friends think their pal is about to die when in fact they are making tie-dye shirts.

An example in 2012: Sheeple are worried about an incoming object that is actually a lens flare.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

It's not just the doomsday theorists that are dangerous though. Those that espouse ascension theories are potentially as dangerous just in a different way. I think we can all agree that the world could be a better place. Those that believe in the ascension theories act like they don't have to do anything and everything will be fixed. That's not how the world works though. If we want things to get better we all need to make a concerted effort to reach that goal. While these types of theories don't pose the same kind of imminent danger that the doomsday theories do, they do have a much greater likelihood of causing long term problems.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately, in this age of information people rarely take the time to simply apply deductive reasoning. The closer to the fringe topics you get, the more obvious it becomes.
For myself I simply apply the adage "Believe as you will, doesn't make it true though"

So sheeple? Not really just information overloaded people willing to latch onto anything to make themselves feel good.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

If you don't have anything that adds to the topic to say, please don't post a rhetorical post and say it.

ATS is about opinion and information, Xcalibur has contributed to more of the research and informal side of ATS than the majority of ATS can account for, certainly more than most of the members to date can say for themselves. He's gone through extensive research on these very particular matters, and I've seen it, every time someone always insults him, ridicules, and simply says that it's not true, without basing any facts to prove it.

The most famous reply on ATS ever when a source is posted on ATS is "that's not a credible source." What's more, the most famous reply ATSers give when they're asked to present evidence is "do the research yourself." No, do your own homework, that's not the others job. Xcalibur, and a few select others are some of the only ones on ATS who actually do their homework, and present it in a fashion that is actually relevant.

X, I've enjoyed reading all of your posts in the 2012 thread, and others on ATS. Keep up the good fight man. Here's to 2013 and beyond my friend!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Those that believe in the ascension theories act like they don't have to do anything and everything will be fixed.

Yep and there are a lot of religious folks who are the same way. Rather than worry about dwindling natural resources vanishing from our planet these sorts of people prefer to believe fairy-tales that some Savior or new age transcendent event is going to swoop in and make everything fine. It's delusional plain and simple.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
define belief in :
a magical bearded old man in the sky
a single living cell created what occupies a planet
Love
life after death
the moon is a space ship with aliens living on it.
man landed on the moon
marriage
monogamy
Country
man is the most intelligent life form on Earth......the Universe
The End
The Bible
The Koran
The Kabbalah
The Torah
The Mayan END of Time known to all mankind

prove to me that there wont be a 14th baktun, show me the science that backs up that statement

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm only three pairs in and i can't help but think, didn't you get your information from a 'alternative' source

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
WOW, i really want to YELL at you.

honestly, you could of broken all that down into four sentences, when you infact have non of your own knowledge to 'inlighten us' go read from some more 'alternative' sources

what a joke
edit on 30-1-2012 by WanderingThe3rd because: knowlage

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join