It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced to stand for 24 Hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

'Forced to stand for 24 hours, suicide nets, toxin exposure and explosions': Inside the Chinese factories making iPads for Apple * 'Working excessive overtime without a single day off during the week' * 'Living together in crowded dorms and exposure to dangerous chemicals' * Two explosions in 2011 in China 'due to aluminum dust' killed four workers * Almost 140 injured after using toxin in factory, reports New York Times

Working excessive overtime without a single day off during the week, living together in crowded dormitories and standing so long that their legs swell and they can hardly walk after a 24-hour shift. These are the lives some employees claim they live at Apple’s manufacturing centres in China, where the firm’s suppliers allegedly wrongly dispose of hazardous waste and produce improper records. Almost 140 workers at a supplier in China were injured two years ago using a poisonous chemical to clean iPhone screens - and two explosions last year killed four people while injuring more than 75. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

So this is at the Foxconn iphone factory and I did not no that conditions were this bad. This is despicable, I remember when apple products used to be made in the USA, now they are doing slave labor and pumping out the products and are pretty much the biggest company in the world. Slave labor!! This is why we have labor laws in the USA.

Posted from my iPhone.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Double Post, forum move corrected, thanks
edit on 27-1-2012 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So much for that highly skilled labor force and blah blah blah that the NY Times kept babbling about being the cause of why Apple products aren't made in the U.S..

The real reason is, like most of us probably realized, Apple can take advantage of what really amounts to slave labor over there that it can't over here.
edit on 27-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The irony of the closing line of your post. "Posted from my IPhone".

But often business is very stonecold. Apple wants to minimalize their costs as much as possible and still be able to afford good quality products. Foxconn is one of the companies in China that delivers that. And these labor conditions are set up by Foxconn, not by Apple. Nor can Apple be blamed for any of this juridistically.
edit on 27-1-2012 by expedionphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

If the Iphone doubled in cost, people would still buy it, especially if the factory was here in the States, and more people here in the States had jobs.

There is some misconception that driving the price ever lower and lower is a good thing. Why? Why not pay a little more, have a good quality merchandise, employ your friends and neighbors, and keep our own economy growing?

We don't need Iphones for $99. If they were $349, they would still be a pretty good deal.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Makes me sick to my stomach to hear things like this. I've heard similar stories about workers here in America in factories using illegals as slave labor. Doesn't matter that we have laws against these things, dirty evil hearted people will still find ways to do it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Their products are so liked that lots of neat fakes out:

There is even an entire fake apple store in china:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Makes me happy I dont go for this Iphone crap. I have a computer at home, I dont need to carry one around with me. I actually use an old Razor (for anyone who remembers those), mainly because it is just simply a phone

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It is truly sad these peasants have no guns.
Maybe they could revolt and draft a constitution or something.
The only person that is gonna bail me out is me!
Even if I cannot bail, I still hold the final say on how I go out.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I posted this below thread about how apple and others are threatening your national security and getting away with it, but alas no one cares. Least you have a pretty phone eh
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Agreed, and everybody that buys a product made outside of the US most probably inadvertently supports slavery.
They also harm the world.
Heres my thinking, if we in the US produced goods, young men and women would have jobs and not see the military as the only option.
The US military would lose it's "workforce" and would not be able to wage war on the world.
Pretty simple actually.
So next time before you buy something, be aware of where it is made and just exactly what you are supporting.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

If the Iphone doubled in cost, people would still buy it, especially if the factory was here in the States, and more people here in the States had jobs.

There is some misconception that driving the price ever lower and lower is a good thing. Why? Why not pay a little more, have a good quality merchandise, employ your friends and neighbors, and keep our own economy growing?

We don't need Iphones for $99. If they were $349, they would still be a pretty good deal.

An iphone is 99 bucks there? They're over 500 here without a 'plan' (aka sign your life away)
This is why i do not support apple, and why no one should.

edit on 27/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Na, without a Plan, they are probably $300 or so. Maybe even $500, I'm not sure. I'm about to switch to a Straight Talk plan in February, and do away with my contract, so I'll be buying some kind of Droid with no Contract. I've found some pretty good ones for $149..... not Iphones though.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by AzureSky

Na, without a Plan, they are probably $300 or so. Maybe even $500, I'm not sure. I'm about to switch to a Straight Talk plan in February, and do away with my contract, so I'll be buying some kind of Droid with no Contract. I've found some pretty good ones for $149..... not Iphones though.

I have a droid. It might be a little buggy,
But last i checked android didn't employ suicidal chinese workers. But i could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I think the that U.S. labor laws are part of the reason why all these jobs are going to China and various other countries. Pretty soon Americans are going to have to accept these conditions if they want a job at all. Same thing here in Canada, I still love my shiny gadgets though.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

As much as I hate it my, iphone 4s was my first iphone ever, the 3,3s 3gs,4 were not good enough for me. I waited until they released a model that I felt was good enough for me to purchase. I never get the first product release, I always wait till the bugs and hardware are worked out and I deem it good enough for me now. I paid 2800 bux for my laptop and as much as I hate to say it I like apple phones and products and I am looking forward to the iphone 5 release this upcoming year.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here goes.
I will be waiting for the return rounds.

Are the conditions deplorable and disgusting?
YES. Without hesitation, YES.

Is that my concern or worry?
NO.
This issue is a problem for China and the People in China.
If I don't want China to state what I can and can't do in the US, then I must live with it in reverse.

If I don't want us poking our nose into the business of the ME, then it must be in reverse as well.

It goes both ways.

It is not in the US, so the rules and laws we have here don't apply.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Sure, as a Government it is none of our concern.

But what about as a consumer? Do you feel any responsibility to buy products that come from responsible manufacturers, or do you simply by the cheapest thing on the market?

This consumerism is becoming the downfall of the world, including the US. It damages people, economies, environment, and it only supports megacorporations and governments.

So, when you make your purchasing decision, do you have what it takes to do a little research, pay a little more, and make a responsible purchase, or do you not feel the need?

new topics

top topics

join