It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PhDs: where online can I read one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Is there anywhere online that I can read a full PhD? Preferably arts and humanities based? I have searched high and low and can’t find any. I have even endured rude library staff all to no avail.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

Virtually all knowledge required to attain almost any PhD is available online, you just have to dig around. Narrowing it down in such a way as to only contain the bare-bones of knowledge required for a specific PhD can be done of course, and that is what they try to do in School. Basically what you are asking for is to get the information structured and restricted in such a way as to just get what is required for the PhD according to a certain college. I would advice you to just go pick up the curriculum from whatever school and watch the subjects required, what is the goal of that subject, and then freelance it yourself online. Of course you would have to do the actual exams somewhere, and that part is hard to do online i would think as cheating through google/wikipedia is far to easy if this was allowed.

There are probably alot of people nowadays since the advent of the Internet that have equal of surpassing knowledge in most if not all areas that "Real PhDs" have, despite not having the title themselves. I think this whole concept will change in the near future, where titles will be less important, and instead actual knowledge will be ascertained through tests performed at the start of employment.
edit on 27-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I appreciate your reply, but what I really want is to read someone's actual/complete PhD to see if i could meet those standards. [is it TOO scary].

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

u gona use it?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Try talking to one of the .s of school at the university. There are rooms full of this stuff, quite a shame they make it so hard to access.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

University websites should include listing of all recent dissertation titles, sometimes even giving contact details of the student who's work it is.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Makes sense to want to have a look to get a feel for the type of depth required.

Is this any good?

Statistical Issues in Functional Brain Mapping

Or this?

PhD Thesis Example

btw I Googled 'example phd paper'
edit on 27/1/12 by morkington because: added another link and my google search

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Here's a page with a lot of links to online dissertations:

Electronic Theses and Dissertations

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

You really need to go talk in person such as simply a teacher or librarian or anybody with a college or university degree or a cleric that can set you straight on this idea that you have.

Of course, you can go on line or look in the classifed advertisements of tableoids and find a bunch of places that will gladly sell you a paper that says you have earned their Ph.D by completing their requirements. Such efforts can be expensive on your part and their diploma proclaiming that you are a Ph.D will not be worth the paper it is printed upon.

I get the impression that you have not been wanting to accept responses that you already have obtained about your question. There is a rigid framework of education that must be followed to obtain a Ph.D. No short cuts!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Good stuff. thank you guys. the Rhodes University has actual PhD's to read. I think i could do it, to be honest. just take me 4 years and a lot of rewrites...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

They aren't really called Ph.Ds -- you might want to do a little research on the process.

edit on 27-1-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here is a link to Saif Gaddafi's PHD thesis titled:
The role of civil society in the democratisation of Global Governance institutions
From his stay at the London school of Economics and Political Science.
LINK

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hi OP!

You should be able to read theses (usually both PhD and MA) on the electronic media page of almost any university nowadays.

At the University of the Western Cape (UWC) in South Africa you can read every successful thesis since 2004.

Try etd.uwc.ac.za...
From there you should get an initial list, and also a keyword option for your search.

Every thesis opens with an Abstract (a concise summery of what you will get).

Traditionally you had to go to a special library to read it, or get some special permission to loan it as a post-grad.
In those days there were only two physical copies (unless it was published) in the library.

Nowadays they actually want it on the Internet, for many reasons, but also because plagiarism can be easily detected with some programs.

Of course various institutions vary, but I've had no problem finding various theses on the net.

new topics

top topics

join